Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 shifts great but lately when I shift into 5th, it seems like it's not in gear completely and then all of a sudden, it slams into gear and goes. Almost feels like the clutch slips for one breif second and then grabs. Took it to a shop and they told me the fluid needs to be changed because there was this stuff in the bottom of the resovior that looked like a milky white jelly substance. I completely cleaned the clutch system and replaced the fluid. The clutch seems smother but when it gets to 5th gear, there's the slip and grab again. Anybody ever have this issue with their Wing??

·
Premium Member
24,147 Posts
One would " think " if it's a clutch issue it would occur in any gear. I've had it happen in 4th gear twice when the bike was fairly new to me , so I blamed myself. Once in awhile I still miss a beat but not in any particular gear.

·
Super Moderator
10,050 Posts
Have you owned the Wing since new? Do you have an extended warranty? Do you have documentation from when you took the bike in for the problem? If you want Honda to own up to the problem you will need the documentation. Your not the first rider to complain about this problem. Good luck and I hope it turns out okay..

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
The shifts I've had calls on are typically from first to second (that's an inherant Goldwing shift complaint) but I've had customers say it can and does happen in between all gears. I'm a long time GL rider myself having owned a 1200, 1500, and now the '09 1800. I've never encountered a ghost shift of my own, although I've missed my share of 1-2 changes over the years.
My first question (and not making an excuse for the issue here or anything else related) for you is: does the bike have a heel/toe shifter on it? Sometimes riders will exert more shift pressure on a heel down upshift than normal and that 'can' cause the shift fork to bend and create a miss-shift problem. That is not however, a gear specific only problem and will make the bike shift funky all the way through. I can also happen without the h/t addition so it's not totally the fault of the shifting mechanism, but rather usually the rider himself. That is not to say that the fork can't fail from a manufacturing fault though. If it were me, I'd take the bike to your mechanic pal and let him ride it and form an opinion from his direct ride experience and his input based on working on Wings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.