Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I headed out early for a nice spirited loop around Jackson, and by around I mean not getting within 10 miles of the city. It was nice and cool with temperatures in the mid 70’s when I left. Trust me, it doesn’t get any better than that for August around these parts. I headed east and then south, crossing the Pearl River at the Ross Barnett Reservoir on Hwy 43. Continue south on Hwy 471 to Brandon (had to stop at one light here) and Hwy 468 and 469 to Florence and down to Hwy 28. Then heading west and crossing back to the west side of the Pearl River to Georgetown for a stop at a railroad engine, Miss. Central RR No. 141. This was built at Alco, Schenectady in 1923. From there I started north on Hwy 27 to old US 51 at Crystal Springs and up to Terry for a stop at the old depot.

Pictures;
1. Hwy 43 crossing the Reservoir
2. Hwy 28 bridge over the Pearl River
3. Engine No. 141
4. Engine No. 141
5. Terry Station

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The station at Terry has an engine (0-6-0) No. 841 built at Lima Locomotive Works in 1924. From Terry it’s 187 miles to New Orleans and 745 miles to Chicago. But I’m not going to either. Instead I rode a short piece west to find a road that took me north to Clinton (I had to stop at one light here too) and then up to US 49 at Pocahontas and that up to Flora. I stopped at the old railroad station there which is a museum now but have never found it open. Even when the sign says it should be. Then it was east on Hwy 22 to Canton for another railway station which is now a museum, also never have found it open either. From here it is a short ride south back home. It was a smidge over 150 miles and three hours. I got home as it was just hitting 90 degrees.

Pictures;
1. Terry Station door
2. This way to New Orleans
3. Engine No. 841
4. Flora Station
5. Canton Station

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
That's much better than riding to Wal Mart twice as far as my closest one. I should have taken photos. Nonetheless, two things everyone loves; trains and motorcycle tours. Thanks for letting us go along.

·
Super Moderator
27,555 Posts
Great stuff Mark......Awesome shots

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice ride and pictures.

This time year in south we need a hurricane or at least tropical storm to come ashore on Gulf of Mexico to break up this weather pattern. Hopefully one that does not cause loss of life, damage or flooding. Had enough rain this summer. Even the lawn mowing guys are calling " uncle" this year.

I still ride w mesh jacket in this heat, it has good ventilation but I just feel a sense of protection with it on. I do not have anything against the riders in shorts, tank tops and gym shoes as the odds are in their favor that nothing is going to happen. I just think too much about the "what ifs".

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my mesh jacket on and it didn't get hot until after I made it back home. I wear gear for the crash, not for the ride. But I'm not saying anything against those who choose not to. Most of us are adults.

Forgot to mention that this was an Eric inspired CAT ride.

·
Premium Member
10,734 Posts
Thankyou Mark,
That was a CAT tour and done in style. We had the early Alco loco out here in Australia and I liked them. But they were noisy buggers. In their time they were powerful loco. Thanks for taking us along with your report and photos.
As you would know there is still problems with the site and everything freezing.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
I had my mesh jacket on and it didn't get hot until after I made it back home. I wear gear for the crash, not for the ride. But I'm not saying anything against those who choose not to. Most of us are adults.

Forgot to mention that this was an Eric inspired CAT ride.
Hey, Hey, Hey.... Easy now Mark.

Some of your statements are getting a little carried away. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@GoldWingKing;
Hey, Hey, Hey.... Easy now Mark.

Some of your statements are getting a little carried away.

I'm sorry, did I say that wrong? I probably should have said that a few of us are adults.....;)

·
Super Moderator
13,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Eric;
We had the early Alco loco out here in Australia and I liked them. But they were noisy buggers. In their time they were powerful loco.

I sure would like to see one running. They are awesome big critters up close. I could have done this loop when y'all were here but didn't think of it at the time. Anyway what we did ride pleased Vanessa, which was probably better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts