Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In two weeks time, there is going to be a train driver ride. This is the first time we have ever had a group of train driver out on a ride. I think Saturday evening will be a real hoot. There is going to be two wings that I know of. Photo to follow the ride. Eric

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
In two weeks time, there is going to be a train driver ride. This is the first time we have ever had a group of train driver out on a ride. I think Saturday evening will be a real hoot. There is going to be two wings that I know of. Photo to follow the ride. Eric
Rail Road Engineers; Now there is a fine group.
My Dad was an Engineer on the Reading Rail Road for 35 years back in Eastern Pennsylvania.
Tip A glass to Al Robertson from his brothers at the throttle, for me if you would, "please"

Remember to keep your foot on the Dead Man. Lad

I suppose you have a dead man switch on your engines.

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
that sounds great eric. the guys i work with usually have a couple rides during the summer

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 34 years as a Train Driver(locomotive engineer) and this is the first time that I know of where there has been a large group of Train Drivers on a ride together. There is going to be drivers from 2 state and 4 different rail companies.
We now have a Vigilance button that has to be pressed every minute. I will remember Al Robertson and I am sure we will have a few laughs. Eric

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I have 34 years as a Train Driver(locomotive engineer) and this is the first time that I know of where there has been a large group of Train Drivers on a ride together. There is going to be drivers from 2 state and 4 different rail companies.
We now have a Vigilance button that has to be pressed every minute. I will remember Al Robertson and I am sure we will have a few laughs. Eric
When you get here I'll have to tell a few stories that I heard about Al Robertson.
Thanks for have a glass for Al.

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures Mate.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A bit of a development on this story. My regular train driver that I work with in now coming on this ride. He didn't have a bike that he was happy to ride with all the big boys. His bike is a 1977 TT 500 Yamaha. So he has being madly trying to get a Victory Jackpot. Yesterday he got one in Melbourne, so when we get back on Thursday. He will be getting ready to fly to Melbourne to get his Victory and ride to Dimboola that night and then met us all at Pinneroo. That is a big effort to get on a ride.
I will hold up the flag for the goldwings. It is only 4 more sleeps to go. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pictures and reading the report, Eric. My father-in-law was a railroad man, and my great-grandfather on my mother's side was as well. Lewis (my father-in-law) had a life time of stories on the railroad; he worked for Burlington Northern and predecessor companies for 53 years. Ran an extra gang when he was 16. Tough as they come and a great guy. Even though he's been gone for going on 10 years now, I can still hear his laugh and picture his hands helping to tell his stories. Even though he lived to be 95, seems like he was gone way too soon. Sorry for hijacking your thread, Eric, those memories of Lewis just came rushing back.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will: Thanks for your input. I am probally a bit biased because I think that Locomotive engineers are a passionate lot of people. And when you see the conditions that they worked in years ago. It make me look like a wimp. When I first started I can remember being on the loco and it was 112f in the cab and I thought it was hard. Those guys were swinging the shovel for up to 12 hours and it would have been hotter than what I worked under. Now I will not go into the desert without a working A/C. How times have changed. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
My railroad experience is a fond memory of riding an open box car with a bunch of hobo's from Santa Barbara, California to Oakland in 1971 riding along the Pacific coastline. That was an experience I'll never forget and the story that goes with it can be told another time. My best friend, ole Joe is a train engineer and he taught me more about life than any preacher did.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it has been a very special day. As so often is the case the night's sleep was crap with the lead up to today. Just before sun up I got ready to leave. The weather was a little threatening with cloulds and mist in the hills. The starting point was 40 mile away on the other side of town at Gawler and I had to find the BP service station there. All is well I arrive with 15 minutes to spare.
The ride through the hills was great. We road from Galwer to Murray Bridge where we met up with the Adelaide South mob.
I had to hold up the Goldwing flag. I was the only Goldwing on the ride. There was a lot of those popular things (HD's) A couple of Trumpy's and some look alike HD's.
The ride went from Murray Bridge to Pinnaroo where we meet up with the Dimboola boy's. My mate Warren was riding his brand new Victory with them.
1. Photo at Gawler
2. Photo at Lameroo
3&4. Photo's are at Pineroo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
It took a bit of studying of picture number 1 for me to see that the bike on the left is actually two bikes. At first it looked like a cruiser with a gold wing trunk attached:confused::confused::eek:
Looked like a fun gathering.
Eric, I suppose Steam Engines were before your time. ??

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 1200 is running sweetly and returning 38 mpg USA Gallon. And we set sail for Renmark. They are pocking a lot of fun at me and have called the 1200 the Mother Ship. They don't seem to think it is fair for me to be riding with all this comfort. I can't help it if their ride doesn't have the same comfort as my bike. Anyway here is some photo's of the bikes at Renmark.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes Ron the steam loco's finished the year before I started. I have tried to do the right thing here and I have raised my glass to Al Robertson and the three old driver that I use to work with. And I have raised my glass to all the current drivers and I have a thumping head. I probally didn't drink enough water today. THAT IS MY STORY:D. I think I will stick with that. Hopefully the water will help in the morning. See you all then. Eric

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
I'm sure Al, was smiling down on you mate. That's for remembering Eric.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
It took a bit of studying of picture number 1 for me to see that the bike on the left is actually two bikes. At first it looked like a cruiser with a gold wing trunk attached:confused::confused::eek:
Now I see, I was wondering where he got the dual pipes. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Glad you had a good time mate. Take a rest now.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What a weekend. Ok here are a couple of photo's at Renmark.Photo 2 is at Loxton & photo 4 is the Victory. Photo 1&4 are at the front street of Renmark. Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I woke up at the crack of dawn to hopefully get some impressive sunrise photo's. They were not that good but this is all up to mother nature.
Photo's 1&2 is from the balcony from the hotel.
Photo 3 is getting ready to leave.
Photo 4 the photo shoot before we left.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts