Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some sunshine and some riding weather. On Feb. 18th I am going to trailer the Wing and heading to Phoenix for two weeks.

I am bringing my pull behind trailer and will leave the pickup and trailer in Phoenix and pull the trailer and camp.

I am going to tour the National Parks, weather permitting.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Have a safe trip!!! Wish I could do the same!

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I'm waiting until April in Phoenix. My time is short spent there and I want to increase the odds that there will be NO snow up in the hills, at least as high as Sedona.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. Keep let us know where you go and don't forget the pictures!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Don't trailer a Gold Wing!!!! You will never hear the end of it if you see a Harley rider!!!!!! I have rode in snow, hail, rain and very high winds, tough it out, or if you must trailer it, put a cover on it so no one will see a Gold Wing on a trailer!!!!!!Thats the way Harleys gets somewhere, not Gold Wings :D

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't trailer a Gold Wing!!!! You will never hear the end of it if you see a Harley rider!!!!!! I have rode in snow, hail, rain and very high winds, tough it out, or if you must trailer it, put a cover on it so no one will see a Gold Wing on a trailer!!!!!!Thats the way Harleys gets somewhere, not Gold Wings :D
I seriously considered not trailering the wing..... but I want to make better time to get down to Phoenix. I don't ride after dark and it would be 500 max per day riding. I am 1500 miles from Phoenix. I can cover that distance driving my pickup in two days.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Larry: Hope you have a safe trip and a great time.
From the Northwest Corner (Sumas)
Ron

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I seriously considered not trailering the wing..... but I want to make better time to get down to Phoenix. I don't ride after dark and it would be 500 max per day riding. I am 1500 miles from Phoenix. I can cover that distance driving my pickup in two days.
Same here Larry. I'm flying. Six air hours and I'll be there. These fellows who live in or near the Southwest just don't understand the urgency of the arrival.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one, unless you're rockin' a fully restored '75, you should trailer a goldwing. Just doesn't seem right, I see your point for driving, but if I can be nosy, why don't you ride after dark?

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one, unless you're rockin' a fully restored '75, you should trailer a goldwing. Just doesn't seem right, I see your point for driving, but if I can be nosy, why don't you ride after dark?
I'll answer for both of us: A.G.E.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll answer for both of us: A.G.E.
"Age ain't nothing but a number" :) I have a lot of respect for someone that doesn't feel safe riding/driving after dark. I hope I have the common sense to do that when the time comes. But, if you can drive at night, why not ride? I'm just playing devils advocate. Best of luck on your trip!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Riding at night

My first 10 years of motorcycling was in South Dakota. I have memories of friends hitting deer or worse yet, trains in the middle of the night.

When I am forced to ride at night........ I ride at the speed comfortable for me to see the entire road and be able to react to the situations that could come up. Hence I would only ride about 40 mph.... that is absolutely unsafe on our highways. Not to mention, one does not make any time driving 40.

My field of view is limited by the lights on the motorcycle and my ability to comprehend the objects on my path. Don't get me wrong......... I have ridden 75/80 on the freeway at night..... but I can't say it was enjoyable.

Hitting a deer at night only happens to people who ride at night. Five years ago, I hit a deer on my motorcycle in the middle of the day.... and was lucky enough not to get hurt. I don't want to have to ditch my bike in the middle of the night due to livestock or deer on the road.

The other thing is fatigue. I can do 800 miles in a day in my car or truck. When I get to 500 on my motorcycle...... I am done. Accidents can happen when one is fatigued. I watched a buddy of mine ride right off the road on a straight stretch of road due to fatigue.

Also, when driving the truck, if I tire, I can pull off to the side of the road and take an hour nap and then continue my travels. Much more difficult to do on a motorcycle at this time of year.

For me, riding a motorcycle is and and always will be about having fun. I don't desire to put 700 miles on the bike riding hard on the super slab. If I had more time and a larger budget, I would ride down to Arizona.... take the extra time and hit motels on the way down and enjoy the trip rather than just the destination. I would love to ride the 101 down to California and then across to desert to Arizona. 1900 miles. Another time.

This trip.... I am going to get south as soon as possible and maximize my time in the sun. Depending on the weather, my bike might still be on the trailer when I get to Monument Valley or the Grand Canyon.

One advantage of traveling alone, is the ability to adjust to the weather or situation.

Sun and hopefully some fun.

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Outside the box.

I think that it is good to see people thinking outside the box, so that they can still do something. We all have to look at the ways of cutting down on our exposure to harm, weather it is the number of hours [fatigue] on the road or self imposed distances that cause fatigue. To how much exposure to risk we are going to put ourself in by when and where we ride. I have had the joy of riding taken from me for years because of accidents , One with a Kangaroo and One where a car T boned me. I cut down on wild life problem by not riding at night for too long. And the cages by picking my route carefully. The only thing that puzzles me is Chopin114 using the AGE thing when I am sure it was him that told me it was only a number. This snow has weakened him, we will have to wait until the sun comes out for him to get to full strength again. Eric

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Get an enclosed trailer and then no-one will know!:D It'll keep the road grimeoff the bike too. Bugs are only great farkles if you hit 'em for real!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get an enclosed trailer and then no-one will know!:D It'll keep the road grimeoff the bike too. Bugs are only great farkles if you hit 'em for real!
lol.

I really don't care what others think of me as I drive my rig to Phoenix. A enclosed trailer makes sense for security but the mileage would suffer.

One time I rented a Uhaul enclosed trailer to haul a Kawasaki 750. When I got to my destination, when I opened the door, the bike was laying on its side and I had no idea how long it layed on its side as I drove down the road. Lucky there was no damage to the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lol.

I really don't care what others think of me as I drive my rig to Phoenix. A enclosed trailer makes sense for security but the mileage would suffer.

One time I rented a Uhaul enclosed trailer to haul a Kawasaki 750. When I got to my destination, when I opened the door, the bike was laying on its side and I had no idea how long it layed on its side as I drove down the road. Lucky there was no damage to the bike.
At least your bike can't fall off an enclosed trailer if it comes untethered.

I say have a good time however you get there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Speaking of the dangers of riding at night, I have a strange story.
A motorcycle actually saved my sons life at night. He was riding down a dark road on the dark of the moon to visit his girlfriend. There were two horses in the road. He went between them with a quick manuver.

He would have died if he had been in his truck. There was no way he could have stopped in time.

I guess you just never know.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Cb919er... I guess it's just risk management which does seem to improve with A.G.E. :)

Larry I like the idea. Have fun and keep us posted.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Larry, it doesn't really matter how you get there, as mentioned. What matters IMO is that you will be there riding your bike and I'll be here in the cold and snow dreaming of it. Of course we all expect to be able to live vicariously through your camera lense. I've wanted to run through Monument Valley for decades. Tease me some more soon OK?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts