Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
do they come with a certificate of origin?

How do you gets for this trailer?
I have a bill of sale but no certificate of origin
Should have been on the Bill of Sale. Use that Bill of Sale from Harbor Freight to get the license plate. And its stamped on a plate on the tongue of the trailer. They balked at mine but I said " Surely, there are thousands of HF trailers registered here in Texas and all over the world. Whats the problem"? 10 minutes later I walked out with plates.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Here in Texas the law says that every vehicle that travels on a public road has to be licensed. When I went to DMV, I ended up with a license plate and a piece of paper stating that the HF trailer is registered but no title would be issued. Crazy huh? :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
In Illinois, I got a certificate of Origin with my HF trailer, and it was required to get the mandatory plate and registration. In order to have a plate, I need a title too, which meant MORE expense. It's just a money game for the state.:(

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I thought i didn't get one also , but i went back and looked in the boxes and found it ! I was just about to burn the boxes . I have one trailer i assembled but have never used it , it doesn't even have a bed on it . I guess i'll use it for something one day .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Here in NC we tag everything, So I get this form from the DMV that issues me a VIN number, and I have to get it stamped on the trailer neck and the rear axle. Once this is done ,a State Trooper can inspect the proper placement of the VIN and inspect the rest of the trailer. When the Trooper signs off everything required of the form, I then can apply for my plate and title. Which we did today, passed with no issues. The trooper's only comment to me was that it looked home made.

So another 65 bucks to the NC DMV, and I have a plate and a title.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
There's something I've found with being a dealer of units that could be sold to owners outside of Canada. We sell a certain (nameless) UTV that could require registration in the USA and they are issued an MSO right from the factory, it's law up here. If it gets lost or destroyed, the OEM can re-issue an MSO to the dealership, but not the owner. In the case of the HF trailer, it's possible that the same thing could be true. If the unit was purchased from HF directly, they should be able to supply the proper certificate of origin for you. If it was through another seller, they should be able to get one; doesn't help after the fact, but maybe in future, HF could save somebody alot of hassle.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I dug into my paperwork for the HF trailer and Yes, when I bought the trailer, I was furnished a "Certificate of Origin For a Vehicle". It is marked as "Sold ONLY as an Unassembled Kit". I bought the trailer at the Harbor Freight Store in Temple, TX. If you bought yours at a HF Store, they should have furnished this paperwork. They even listed the serial numbers of the tires included. :)

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Or, here in Texas one can simply register as a home built trailer. All they ask is the capacity. The greater the capacity the higher the fee.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
In Washington state, better have the Certificate of Origin AND the sales receipt showing that you paid the 9.8% sales tax, so that you don't have to pay that tax AGAIN. HF in Everett, WA makes you sign a release saying that you received your Certificate of Origin.

I got the Tag Along trailer and so far this has been a good trailer.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.