Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of building a trailer to haul my wing and 2 750 shadows.
Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on design, hold downs and shape does not need to be covered.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
How about starting out with a base/frame from Harbor Freight? Could build up from there to suit your needs..

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I found that you can buy a trailer in Alabama cheaper than you can build it ! I have a full mesh gate , tongue jack , wood floor , 5 x 10 ! I paid $720.00 total for it !!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just bought a new 7x12 trailer with drop down ramp with tie downs front and rear. With tax it was $1,100

I'm on sand mountain, AL.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The words "enclosed" and "Haulmark" (not to be confused with "Hallmark") come to mind. Depends on your budget I reckon.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I agree with all of the above. If you want the satisfaction of saying you built it then, proceed. If money saved is the object but still want it custom to your needs, go buy a used or new one at above mentioned places.

I have built a couple of trailers and balance is the issue. I have found on my Honda 1100 shadow, the weight is equal right at the front pegs, just a little forward of halfway between the axels.

I would put the wing in the middle (left to right) and put the mid point of the weight (mentioned above) about 3 or 4 inches in front of the trailer axel. Then put the 750's on each side and have the midpoint of weight a couple of inches behind the axel. This to balance the trailer and to keep the mirrors and handlebars from banging into each other.

All this would a starting point for weight distribution. You might have to move the wing forward or rearward just a little to get it so the tongue weight is about 50-100 lbs.
I wouldn't get too caught up in the balance thing, point being to move the wing a little one time to get the trailer to just have some weight on the tongue.

If you take one bike, then it would go in the middle, two bikes-one in middle and one to the side. All combinations keep some weight on the tongue.

I would buy the haulmark wheel chocks at harbor freight. you can catch them on sale for 29 dollars and they work as advertised. Just roll up on them and you can get off the bike without the kickstand to strap it down without assistance.

After that, figure out where you want your straps and cut some 3/8s wide 1 x 1 inch angle iron to make a "V" for the strap hooks.

I put 2 straps in front and frankly that is enough but I always strap the rear left and right too just because it makes me feel better. For what trailering I have done, I have never seen a rear tire move on any surface but it still makes me feel better. did I mention that it makes me feel better?

Last thing I did, you can go manual or electric. I bought a boat winch at wally world. If you or a friend ever has a dead bike it is a terrific investment for 20 dollars. I loaded a friends 1100 on an incline ( of course the ramp added greatley to the angle as well). We would never have gotten it on the trailer without the winch. (BTW, bought a cheap winch and kept a marine battery in a action packer for a while. Scales good on the wow factor but too much hassle to keep up with for me. The winch will pull a wing so long as you have someone to help hold it up.

Just my experiences, good luck and show pix when you have it done.

·
Registered
157 Posts
For strap hooks I just get a couple of feet of 1/2inch chain and cut out a link and weld them on. You won't bend 1/2inch link.
I made dune buggy's and trailers for a few years. They work great.

Need a buggy trailer, cheap

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Where ?

I just bought a new 7x12 trailer with drop down ramp with tie downs front and rear. With tax it was $1,100

I'm on sand mountain, AL.
Dirtdobber , where are you on Sand Mountain ? I use to live in Douglas - Horton area !

·
Registered
258 Posts
The hauling capacity of the trailer is important, how heavy are both the motorcycles together? Wheel size is important to me, personally I don't care for the small wheels on a trailer, I prefer 14" or larger. I purchased a utility trailer (5x8) and had the front of the trailer cut out, and then reinstalled using a piano hinge. Normally I use the trailer to haul trash, furniture, etc. When hauling bikes, I drop the front of the trailer bolt on a tire chock and load the bike. I have hauled a full-dress Kawasaki Voyager and a Kawasaki 900SE together; however, I had to load the 900SE in back tire first. Very tight fit. Haven't hauled the Wings yet, too much fun to ride to wear I want to go. The heavy duty trailer pulls well and is easy to maintain. Just a thought.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The hauling capacity is why I went to the 6.5x12. The pay load is 3,500 lbs. It has a 8 inch ibeam for the tongue. 15 inch wheels. The gw trike fit it easily. I have a 1999 Dodge Dakota 4x4 , 318 v8. I could not feel the trailer. Since it is 6.5'x12' I could see it easily in my mirrors.
I have built several trailer in the past. Some from a boat trailer some from scratch. All did what I designed them to do. In order to get a tag in Alabama you either have to have bill of origin or have it inspected, since I am a certified welder and most of the police know me it isn't much of a problem. Normally I do not worry about a trailer but some states are strict on it when your from out of sate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Although I like Harbor Freight Tools for SOME things, I'd advise you to steer clear of their trailers.

They use NON-standard wheel bearings, so when your bearing fails on a trip, you'll have to replace the entire axle, rather than just buy Federal Mogul bearings and spend an hour or so replacing them. The HFT trailers do not accept standard trailer wheel bearings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts