Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Looking to haul an empty 5x7 trailer from Trinity http://theusatrailerstore.com/the-trinity-3-rail-motorcycle-trailer-mt3.html

My question is the trailer weighs 450lbs empty so I'm guessing 45-50lbs tongue weight. Would that be too much to haul on my '96 1500? Picking it up in NC and driving to MI.

Thanks.
I'm thinking you'd be right at the limit for the tongue weight, but quite over the towing capacity as far as the GVW is concerned. I'd never try that much with my 2010, much less a 1500.

My $.02.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You'll be OK - just pump up the rear shocks to their maximum to lift the rear of the bike a bit with that tongue weight... My Bunkhouse used to weigh in that area and it towed fine with my 93 Aspy... Stopping distances will be increased by a fair amount, so bare that in mind while towing...

Les

·
Registered
713 Posts
Weight, I'd think it would be the max riding solo. I heard one fellow had his trailer scaled at around 1200 lbs at Wing Ding. One aspect to look at is the width traveling down the highway and through town. most trailers pulled behind a motorcycle are right around the width of the motorcycle. Just think about pulling up to a gas pump with that trailer behind you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All the above comments are true however, the Bunkhouse I used to pull was just over 48' wide and about 38' high... I would think seeing around a flatbed trailer would not present as much of a problem as the Bunkhouse...

Pulling in for gas is an issue no matter what trailer you are pulling - one has to be cognizant of what you are towing behind you... Even when we tow our cargo trailers behind the Wing, your "normal" lane positioning changes to accommodate the width and length of the trailer, and when changing lanes and pulling in for gas, again, you must remember that you have a trailer behind you... and be aware of the extra length and width - common sense applies here...

Les

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.