Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Wondering if anyone has been caught towing a tag along in windy conditions and what were the handling effects. View attachment 9790
Towed my trailer all over the eastern and midwest states. Have hit 50 mi winds and still never know the trailer is there. Have pulled in heavy rain and gusty winds, never presented a problem. But that is my experience. Let's see what others say.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have had my trailer start to whip in the wind, exciting feeling, i just slowed down to maintain control( slow don't hit brakes or you may loose control). this past summer at the st. george, utah convention, the winds where so strong coming across the desert that even seasoned riders didn't enjoy the trip there. trailers whipped and bikes leened, one trike even had there trailer leave the pavement at times.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I have never had any problem even in winds off the hurricane years back and I was leaning the bike into the wind coming up I-65 ! I rode over 100 miles that night and never felt the trailer move in any unsafe position.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
Hmmmmm, when your riding at 70 mph, you're making your own wind.....(something to ponder) :D no issues here.

Mark

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Some of you haven't been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Riding I-40 in the Texas Panhandle or Western Oklahoma with 45 to 50 MPH wind gusts coming from the side is bad enough without a trailer. I towed a trailer one time in those locations under those conditions and I swore if I could get home safely, I would never do that again. If you've never ridden in a straight line at a 45 degree angle, you don't know what you're missing.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Normal, as with anything you can find someone who has a bad experience with it ! I noticed here in these post only one reported a problem with pulling a trailer, the rest has had a good experience. Don't let one or two bad reports prevent you from pulling a trailer. I rarely go anywhere without my trailer because it is so convenient if you buy souvenirs or antiques, groceries, etc ! I'm confident you will be glad you purchased a trailer upon using it.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Some of you haven't been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Riding I-40 in the Texas Panhandle or Western Oklahoma with 45 to 50 MPH wind gusts coming from the side is bad enough without a trailer. I towed a trailer one time in those locations under those conditions and I swore if I could get home safely, I would never do that again. If you've never ridden in a straight line at a 45 degree angle, you don't know what you're missing.
This is only a testiment to a personal experience one time on only one day on one trip and after 45 years of riding and is not intended to discourage anyone from pulling a trailer and was not intended to be considered a problem, only an experience. I have never had another experience like the one mentioned above.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I've pulled our trailer coast to coast a couple times and to the Texas Gulf coast a couple times and all over the Northwest, never had a problem in the wind WITH the trailer. The bike is another thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yea i was.I have only pulled a trailer about 2000 miles so far.A month ago,when i just got through building my trailer,i took it out on the interstate for a test run.The trailer was 'empty' and i was running along about 75mph and there was wind gusts to 35mph that day and they happened to be cross winds.I got to thinking as i was going down the road,man what in the heck is keeping this trailer on the pavement and from blowing sideways,making me lose control??? Anyway,i slowed down a little bit ,but at the same time,i did NOT even know the trailer was behind me unless i looked in the mirrors.Just to be on the safe side,from now on i will always have a little weight inside the box when i pulling it in windy conditions.Since then, i just got back from a 1760 trip to Arkansas and i have to agree with the OP,i will probly be pulling it more than not because it is so handy to throw your stuff inside and forget about it.Very safe as far as i am concerned!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Big Thanks

Just want to say thanks to all for all the feedback. It's all very helpful.
We were on a trip this year from Northern Cal to Vegas and got caught in some really bad wind from Barstow to Vegas. We didn't have a trailer but the crosswinds were very challenging to say the least. That is what prompted my initial question as I am putting together a trailer now and started thinking about how it would handle if I were to be in those windy conditions again.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I'm far from being an expert and this may be only a W.A.G. but I would bet that high wind gusts has more effect on the motorcycle than on a trailer mainly because of the trailers low profile. If you going to have problems with high side-winds while towing a trailer, how your bike handles could be compromised with the added mass behind you.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
There's wind and then there's WIND. Radical crosswinds will affect the bike even without a trailer. Depending on the side profile of the trailer, the bike will often get pushed more than the trailer will. I've been in some pretty hairy winds and never had an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.