Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 87 Spirit fiberglass trailer. I installed my hitch and hooked up my lights and everything is good to go.... EXCEPT:

The Spirit did not have a safety chain on it. At first I was concerned and wanted to add one, but then second thought was "Do I want that trailer behind me connected to a safety chain rattling around causing me to wreck?" So I thought I would ask the experienced trailer riders what they do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always use a good safety chain...if the trailer comes loose, the chains will, or should, keep it attached and behind the tow vehicle....and hopefully keep the trailer from moving away from your side of the road and hurting some unsuspecting vacationers. In GA it is a law to have chains and to use them.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Chains are the law in most states
Just so everyone knows: You need to cross the chains under the trailer tounge. This is so, as you slow, the tounge doesn't drop and dig into the road:(
I don't belive how many I see that do not have the chains crossed.
That is disaster waiting to happen:eek:

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so everyone knows: You need to cross the chains under the trailer tounge. This is so, as you slow, the tounge doesn't drop and dig into the road:(
I don't belive how many I see that do not have the chains crossed.
That is disaster waiting to happen:eek:

Excellent tip. Thank you. I am putting the chains today!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts