Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
First time I've ever seen or heard of it. Reviews should be interesting..

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Charlie I expect to get some interesting comments on this idea for sure. I spoke to a friend today not realizing he has a Harley that he transports using the Kendon folding trailer (see link below). He went in with a friend and they tow their Harleys from Dallas up to Colorado every year using the dual version of the Kendon. He speaks highly of this product. I was not familiar with either of the 2 mentioned here but then I have really just started to investigate my options. I need a dual version of something that folds or disassembles.... need a relatively small footprint.

http://youtu.be/aOh8ySY70f8

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I think pretty highly of the dual version of the Kendon. I have seen these on the road with various combinations of cruiser bikes, but never two full sized Goldwings.

When we trailered a 1500 and an 1800 from Seattle to LA, we needed a full width trailer as both fairings were at the same height. We still had to remove mirrors and load with extreme caution.

We didn't use the locking wheel chocks. Had we done so, we could of set one back from the other so that the fairings didn't compete for the same space.

That wheel in a bag would haul one Goldwing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=lgj1uYDTmmw

This looked to be about the same as the trailer in a bag:

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
User reviews are favorable regarding this trailer however was unable to ascertain it's true GVWR. Also, bear in mind the single unit weighs 150 and the double is 300. I didn't read of anyone hauling a Goldwing but discussions on cruisers and sport bikes. I saw one recently hauling a cruiser and it appears to be a minamalist trailer and fairly lightweight ( not heavy duty). I think this trailer is made for the ocassional haul of the bike in town to the shop but I would not feel comfortable pulling a Goldwing, let alone 2, at any great distance on the trailer in a bag. Personally I think the Kendon is the better choice. I have a motorcycle trailer that I've hauled all over the country so I know a little bit about hauling a big bike like the Wing.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I don't know how much you are gonna trailer , but for $ 2195.00 a man can rent a bunch of trailers and they are already together . I also noticed the trailer - in - a -bag didn't appear to have any springs , so i wouldn't personally haul two heavy bikes on those small wheels and the ( in my opinion ) flimsy axle . I also noticed the 93" distance between the wheels , that is almost 8 ft. , so the total width with two bikes on it would be almost 9 ft. which is a wide trailer on the streets , not to mention turns and other various maneuvers . I would be very hesitant to purchase one myself .

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
Don,

the trailer in that video looks a lot different than the pic you first posted. The one in the video looks like something worth having if you are going to trailer two big bikes..

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
For sure do your homework Donald. Those are two large bikes you have, be sure the trailer is up to the job.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Dan I agree the Kendon appears to be a bit more substantial and a bit more pricey but I'm not looking to skimp on something that'll hold $50k worth of bikes

Larry they make a 'dual' version too but I'm favoring the Kendon

Charlie, of the 2 products shown, Trailer in a Bag and the Kendon; the Kendon seems more up to the task.

Santini,,, I gotta agree with you; don't have to be a math major to know that $2500 bucks = alot of rentals. I would have to use a utility trailer to haul 2 bikes but well... just lookin but I might just want to 'own' rather than rent (maybe)

Thanks for all the feedback guys

·
Registered
15 Posts
If I were planning to own a trailer then the Kendon would be my choice. I have seen and rolled the dual around at my local Harley dealer and it is a handful. Make sure you have enough space because it is bigger in person then in the videos.

I made a trip to my local U Haul store and the cost of renting a one bike trailer for one day local is very reasonable. A larger one bike trailer for a minumum of four day cross country is also very reasonable. I suggest you check the rates in your area. You might change your mind about buying a trailer. Remember anything you buy will eventually have to be sold at a loss.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
What happens if you break down or a friend does on a ride and a trailer is unavailable at the rental place or it's after hours or a Sunday? Sometimes you need a trailer now. I've also used mine for hauling a new couch or piece of furniture back from the store. As for re-sale value, they really hold their value. I've actually bought and re-sold trailers for more than I paid. There was a member here a few months ago who sold a trailer for more than I could have bought new. I like to know that the trailer I'm pulling also has a wire harness that is compatible with my vehicle, that the lights work and tires are in excellent condition. Trailers are a personal item to me. Mine have been customized with tie downs, wheel chock and rock guard and diamond plate floor over expanded metal. Mine is set up where I can connect the trailer, load the bike, tie it down and be ready to go in less than 10 minutes with a 900 pound bike.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I might have missed something, but how do you get a 900 lb wing on to this trailer.
I know there is a ramp,
1. But if you ride the wing on and you are lucky enough to get all the way to the front chock it better be something like the condor that grabs the front tire. I don't see anyplace for your feet. I see they have a side stand option. BUT.
2. If you push the wing up the ramp,and walk beside it. You have 900 lb bike, what a foot off the ground, that you have to get to the front chock. If it's a condor, you got to get it into the chock pushing from the ground.
3. OK you got it on the trailer, now you still got that 900 lb beast to get off the trailer with no floor.
Sorry not convinced this is the right trailer for a couple of heavy touring machine.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
What happens if you break down or a friend does on a ride and a trailer is unavailable at the rental place or it's after hours or a Sunday? Sometimes you need a trailer now. I've also used mine for hauling a new couch or piece of furniture back from the store. As for re-sale value, they really hold their value. I've actually bought and re-sold trailers for more than I paid. There was a member here a few months ago who sold a trailer for more than I could have bought new. I like to know that the trailer I'm pulling also has a wire harness that is compatible with my vehicle, that the lights work and tires are in excellent condition. Trailers are a personal item to me. Mine have been customized with tie downs, wheel chock and rock guard and diamond plate floor over expanded metal. Mine is set up where I can connect the trailer, load the bike, tie it down and be ready to go in less than 10 minutes with a 900 pound bike.
I think Donalds main thing is that he wants a trailer that doesn't take - up much space in a garage or have to store it on the outside and prefers something compact if he is gonna buy one . I understand his thinking because we all have different living spaces , such as townhomes in which the storage space and outdoor space may be very limited , so the answer for him may be very different from my own , I myself have a trailer for two bikes that i purchased five years ago for $720.00 and i also use it to haul my lawnmower , dads jazzy , vacation with it , etc ! I will never be without a trailer for my bike , but again i have more than ample space for it and six cars , van , pick-up , two bikes , two tractors and equipment , two campers and a mother in-law .

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I might have missed something, but how do you get a 900 lb wing on to this trailer.
I know there is a ramp,
1. But if you ride the wing on and you are lucky enough to get all the way to the front chock it better be something like the condor that grabs the front tire. I don't see anyplace for your feet. I see they have a side stand option. BUT.
2. If you push the wing up the ramp,and walk beside it. You have 900 lb bike, what a foot off the ground, that you have to get to the front chock. If it's a condor, you got to get it into the chock pushing from the ground.
3. OK you got it on the trailer, now you still got that 900 lb beast to get off the trailer with no floor.
Sorry not convinced this is the right trailer for a couple of heavy touring machine.
I wondered about the loading and unloading of the bike/s too. Looks like a 2 person job.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I think Donalds main thing is that he wants a trailer that doesn't take - up much space in a garage or have to store it on the outside and prefers something compact if he is gonna buy one . I understand his thinking because we all have different living spaces , such as townhomes in which the storage space and outdoor space may be very limited , so the answer for him may be very different from my own , I myself have a trailer for two bikes that i purchased five years ago for $720.00 and i also use it to haul my lawnmower , dads jazzy , vacation with it , etc ! I will never be without a trailer for my bike , but again i have more than ample space for it and six cars , van , pick-up , two bikes , two tractors and equipment , two campers and a mother in-law .
I think HF has a folding trailer too for limited spaces. Not sure if it's wide enough for 2 large bikes? Also, I've noticed folks storing their trailers at rental storage units either in a covered unit or outside with the boats and RV's, if storing at home is problematic.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Santini sums it up pretty well. I need something to haul 2 BIG bikes not one; I need a smaller footprint than what the best utility trailer has; I WISH I had the space to store an all purpose utility trailer but I don't.

The original question was about the Trailer in a Bag which I agree, is a 'minimalist' solution. Of the 2 options I saw, I much prefer the Kendon.

As far as buying and reselling at a loss.... that's a true statement but I'm not sure why I should factor that in when every dollar I spend on this hobby is at a loss, every dollar I spend on any vehicle is a loss. Rentals are a loss. I guess the loss thing just doesn't factor into it for me.

As far as own or rent? Well for me, yes there is a convenience and a comfort in owning my own.. yes I know, at a loss.

As far as it taking 2 people to safely load a bike or 2 bikes... I'm OK with that. I'd 99% of the time wait until I had two of us to do it anyway. As long as the trailer transports the bikes in a safe manner... 2 people loading it is not a deal breaker.

What I was looking for from the group here, I got. That is does anybody have experience with the Trailer in a Bag. I think we all agree that that solution seems less able than the Kendon and neither is ideal. Renting is always an option.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Donald,

Look at the size of the wheels. Trailer in a bag would be best for transporting cross town not cross country.

I've looked at just about every trailer available. If money is no object then look at the Baxley. They're a cut above the Kendon. Try also Razor Trailers. You can't go wrong with any of those

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/

http://www.razortrailers.com/

The only reason I don't have a trailer is because it would probably never be used except for evacuation.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Shoe I hadn't heard of the Baxley. Serious trailer there, it does look superior at a superior price. Neither one seems to have a 2 bike option which for me is a must

1 - 20 of 21 Posts