Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions?
My wife and I want to put a cargo carrier on for now but sometime in the future maybe pull a trailer...
Thanks for the feed back

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what you may be looking for , but i didnt want to tow a trailer and found this on wingstuff. I fitted it last weekend and we tested it this weekend to prepare for our long trip in october. The result was fantastic, you barely know the thing is hanging off the back of the bike. We loaded it fully which takes 11 kilos which is 25lbs US including the back, I can say for sure that this travel bag and hitch works great, the quality is also terrific and is a sturdy construction
Rating is 5 stars out of 5

Hope this helps

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/173_Luggage_Racks/29386_GL1800_Accessories_Pakit_Rak_for_GL1800_Without/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F173_goldwing_Luggage_Racks%2Fdes%2F%3Fpage%3D2

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I just put a vertical style one on my wing, plus I also got the cooler rack. Got it from Wing Stuff. I like it because you can take off the ball part and the hitch is hidden. Wasn't to bad to put on. I have a Piggy Back trailer I pull behind the wing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about a good trailer, where and how much can I get one for? Would the Can Am Spyder's trailer work with the GW?

·
Super Moderator
28,431 Posts

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My '09 1800AD has a GVWR of 1338#, and it weighs 926# at the curb maiking the useful load 412#. My wife and I together tip the scales at 330# (me at 220 and her 110) that leaves 82 lbs in luggage wieghtto be distributed in the bags and trunk. I'm a bit anal about how much weight goes in the trunk and on the rack (5# means two rainsuits and the bike cover on the rack). I typically use one saddlebag for my stuff (max 20#) and she gets the trunk and one bagfor a total of 35#. That keeps us at about 22# below GVWR if you don't count the added accessories I've put on (highway boards, tranformer rears, mini drivers, h&t shifter, brake arm cover, trunk rack, trunk spoiler, accessory plug and XM radio/mp3 and of course the little geegaws in the small trunk cubbies (pressure guage, chamois, magic eraser, cell phone & charger, maps). So that just about eats it all up. Where am I going with this? Well just how careful are you with your loading and then what goes in the hitch bag? Wings are amazing pack-horses, but we tend to overload them. But if you are carrying another 25# of weight out and behind you, it can compromise handling and increase wear and tear on suspension, tyres, bushings and bearings. I'm not lecturing here, just FYI. Be careful!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am just not interested in pulling a trailer at this point.
I did add the pakit mount/rack

If you are considering adding a trailer hitch they make a mount for several different type of trailer hitches
I like the pakit rack. It is not visible at all when not in use. easy install. It comes complete with mount, bag, and locks.
just a thought

dd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts