Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I am considering buying one of those little boxes (magnets), that hook to the bottom of your bike to help change red lights to green (As compared to sitting at a red light forever), but am curious if anyone owns one or knows if they work???

Thanks,

Carl

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
Assuming the polarity of the magnetic field generated by the magnets is in phase with the loop detector's tuned frequency and the subtended angle of your position is within the vector parameters of the loop's influence, it might work.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Assuming the polarity of the magnetic field generated by the magnets is in phase with the loop detector's tuned frequency and the subtended angle of your position is within the vector parameters of the loop's influence, it might work.
Thank you for clearing that up Dr. Spock. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my area, they have chaned them all to motions sensors mounted on the light poles. They look like cameras, but they are not.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Usually the ground loop senses the metal of the vehicle as it passes over. Motorcycles present a problem with this because it doesn't have the same mass as a car/truck. In Missouri, a law was passed a year or 2 ago that allows motorcycles to make a left against a red after a reasonable wait...if you dare.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Work as good as deer alerts
Don't knock the deer alerts. I had 3 roo alerts on my bike. 1/ The first one was for the roos that could hear. 2/ The second one was for the deaf roos. 3/ The third one was for all the deaf old buggers who thought that they could stand around and say what did you say. Psychologically it is good for me. Eric

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, here goes the cheap skate in me again. I know they want $30 to $70 for those magnets. Go to Harbor Freight and get a Welding magnet for about $5. Used by welders to stick to a metal post and hook the neg lead of the welder to it. Has a bolt and nut on the top side and could easily be put on a belly pan. Whether they work or not, I don't know but 2 days ago I would have given you $50 for one cause I was trapped at a light till a cager finally pulled up behind me and tripped the sensor.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yea, what he said.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Read some research that basically said they don't work.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I sat in on a Riders Ed. Class a couple years ago put on by a woman that worked for the D.O.T. What she said was to look for those circles or boxes in the road surface and be sure to ride through the center and possibly stop over it. If you ride to the side, it more then likely will not detect you. Seems to work here in the Northwest.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Hmmmmm.... dunno, I usually just take a right.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My Brother in Law works for the State installing Trafic lights,He said to ride over and stop on the strip that operates the light,He said some have a 3rd strip that is in the middle of the other two strips that is for motorcycles, So for it has worked for me,

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
That's what I was saying. Put yourself in a good position.
I think I know what you are saying is: The numerical product of the length of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them, which is completely specified by a magnitude and a direction that guides by a means according to vector. Eric

·
Premium Member
23,768 Posts
I think I know what you are saying is: The numerical product of the length of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them, which is completely specified by a magnitude and a direction that guides by a means according to vector. Eric
It is truly a great moment when two great minds discover each other.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Testicals deviant three to fuds law: If you push something hard enough, it will fall over.

Just make sure you stop on the little square or circle in the asphalt.... what ever is there.

·
Registered
455 Posts
North Carolina, left on red after 3 minutes, but who is counting!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts