Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Is it worth it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Please read. I'm a bit long winded (fingered?) so I need to tell the backstory before the questions.

I've been a rider all my life, starting at 14. I took a hiatus when my kids were born, now they are out of the house, and my wife finally let me buy a bike. I tried out a Yamaha (Used) full dresser, but it was too high. We are both short, she's 5 foot and I'm 5 foot 5. Wasn't safe.

So I bought a 2003 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 sport cruiser. Smaller, light, easy to handle. $3000

However, not the touring bike I wanted, and come to find out, that my wife wants as part of her bucket list. We want something with more storage that can cruise a few states over without issue.

So my mechanic comes across a 1989 GL 1500 Goldwing. Not the greatest looking outside, but I rode it today and it runs like a top. Absolutely smooth and balanced, I could flat foot it so I was able to control it easily.

The trade is thus: He will change the tires, brakes, fluids, plugs and (since reading these forums) the timing belt, as well as be sure the air ride system works since we're short. He will inspect it and it will be road ready. I trust this guy, I take my cars and bike to him. I will in turn trade him straight across for an almost new in appearance and mechanically sound 2003 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder. Lots of chrome, Vance & Hines pipes, Hi-Flo filters, jetted. It's loud and it's fast.

Here are my questions:

Is it worth it? (Opinions)

Where can I find headsets or helmets to plug into the intercom system?

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?

Thank you so much for any advice, and hopefully I'll be a Goldwing owner within a week.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Hello all.

Please read. I'm a bit long winded (fingered?) so I need to tell the backstory before the questions.

I've been a rider all my life, starting at 14. I took a hiatus when my kids were born, now they are out of the house, and my wife finally let me buy a bike. I tried out a Yamaha (Used) full dresser, but it was too high. We are both short, she's 5 foot and I'm 5 foot 5. Wasn't safe.

So I bought a 2003 Suzuki Marauder VZ800 sport cruiser. Smaller, light, easy to handle. $3000

However, not the touring bike I wanted, and come to find out, that my wife wants as part of her bucket list. We want something with more storage that can cruise a few states over without issue.

So my mechanic comes across a 1989 GL 1500 Goldwing. Not the greatest looking outside, but I rode it today and it runs like a top. Absolutely smooth and balanced, I could flat foot it so I was able to control it easily.

The trade is thus: He will change the tires, brakes, fluids, plugs and (since reading these forums) the timing belt, as well as be sure the air ride system works since we're short. He will inspect it and it will be road ready. I trust this guy, I take my cars and bike to him. I will in turn trade him straight across for an almost new in appearance and mechanically sound 2003 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder. Lots of chrome, Vance & Hines pipes, Hi-Flo filters, jetted. It's loud and it's fast.

Here are my questions:

Is it worth it? (Opinions)

Where can I find headsets or helmets to plug into the intercom system?

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?

Thank you so much for any advice, and hopefully I'll be a Goldwing owner within a week.

Is it worth it? (Opinions) Yes.

Where can I find headsets or helmets to plug into the intercom system? Wingstuff, J&M Headsets.

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? 42

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it worth it? (Opinions) Yes.

Where can I find headsets or helmets to plug into the intercom system? Wingstuff, J&M Headsets.

What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything? 42

Welcome to the forum.
I was wondering if anyone would get that.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree with cantankerous is it worth it YES because it is one one the best if not the best mile cruncher out there and your lady will love you for it. We had over 173,000 miles on ours and had no troubles.👍

• Love
Reactions: Oldhand and y0himba

·
Registered
313 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

The dealer would be very happy as the Suzuki will be much easier to sell. It would be more valuable to me though. It really boils down to what strikes your fancy.

Check the fork seals and if they leak, change the bushings as well and use only Honda parts. I would make sure that you also have a full drive line service. If he doesn't know what that means, run away!

Reactions: y0himba

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
Looks like a good deal. Don't panic and don't forget your towel.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. My first wing was an "89" 1500. I really enjoyed it. Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. My first wing was an "89" 1500. I really enjoyed it. Sounds like a good deal. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.
Well hello! I'm in NW PA myself! About 3 hours from you, you're in central, up on the border right?

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the dealer is getting a good deal as are you. I suggest you ask for some other maintenance items to be done as suggested by the other posters.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Yes. About a 1/4 mile from the border. I went to school in Edinboro years ago.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
132 Posts
You are trading something that isn’t what you want for something that is what you want and that is on your wife’s bucket list. That seems like a good choice to me. In addition, you are getting a machine that is known for reliability and long life. Another win.

As previously noted, make sure all the maintenance is done. Then enjoy wandering. The bike is bucket list worthy because of where it takes you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You are trading something that isn’t what you want for something that is what you want and that is on your wife’s bucket list. That seems like a good choice to me. In addition, you are getting a machine that is known for reliability and long life. Another win.

As previously noted, make sure all the maintenance is done. Then enjoy wandering. The bike is bucket list worthy because of where it takes you.
I have an 89 wing with 208,000 miles still runs great just took a little trip from here in Tn to Wisconsin with a trailer so reliability is not an issue just do the needed maintenance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts