Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 GL1800 last july. I have about 12,000 miles on it. I didn't want the satellite radio and navigation, so I got the base model thinking it would automatically come with ABS. (I assumed the flagship bike from Honda would only come with ABS) I paid $20K. Would have had to pay $25K to get ABS I found out later.( I didn't do enough research) In the bike shop they have a 2010 with ABS, new for $22K. I would have paid $2K to get ABS. The owner of the bike shop told me to bring mine in and he would make a deal to get me on the one with the ABS. Plan to go tomorrow and see what he offers.
I will let you know.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,418 Posts
I curious to hear what the offer is. ABS isn’t magic, you still have to know how to stop fast when you need to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remember these new bikes have a new integrated braking system on them. I didn't want the abs i thought it may bring problems down the road. I am a big rig driver and our abs systems have a lot of problems. But from what i have been reading on the wings they work well. Its based on what type of riding you do, if your a agressive rider or you ride in wet weather abs is great.

So far i have no complains with my bike seems to break nice, But never had to lock them up yet. Plus the hit you will take on a trade in. Only you can decide on on that.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Steve.. just for the record I have ABS; I like it BUT

you paid $20k and would have paid $25k ... so the ABS was worth
$5k to you.

Fast forward 7 months and now a new 2010 ABS is available to you for $22k. Seems like if you got $17k for your bike you would pony up the extra $5k to get the 2010 ABS... but the problem is that a brand new 2010 Level 1 Goldwing like yours can be had now for $17500 plus or minus a few bucks.

If I want to buy a 2010 Level 1 GW how much would I pay for your used one w 12000 miles on it when I can get a new one for $17.5k?

Now if I am a dealer and I need to resell your used one while I have new ones on the floor, how much can I offer you on a trade?

I am afraid to guess but I think you'd wind up trading your bike and paying close to $10000 for your ABS upgrade. Like I said, I like my ABS but not that much!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I guess I'm old fashion, but I'd just as soon not have ABS.....I definately wouldn't pay 2 grand for it........

·
Registered
133 Posts
I found out the hard way I didn't have ABS. The problem is you have to have everything else to get it, including air bag. I ride year round rain or shine. Even been in a little snow, though not on purpose. I prepare for the weather, but you can't do enough when it comes to other drivers on wet roads.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
To get the best from your abs you need to get use to how it feels when it's doing it's thing. I had a minor mishap because I released the brake a little thinking I had locked the brakes up. If you have not had abs before I think you more or less do that yourself. And if you do you probably will not miss it. After you have had it, you probably will not want to go back. If that make sense to you. Eric

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I found out the hard way I didn't have ABS. The problem is you have to have everything else to get it, including air bag
That is not exactly true. A level 4 model has it all including ABS and airbag. A level 3 has everything except airbag. I have the level 3 Wing with ABS and no airbag (2010).

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
There is one member on here who didn't like the ABS and traded in for a non-ABS model. Never had to lock them up myself or been downed because of a panic braking situation , so when it came time to buy a Wing the ABS didn't enter into the consideration equation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Excepting the very, very small percentage of riders who have developed their skills to the point they are better able to control the brakes in a panic situation than a computerized ABS system, most riders will benefit from ABS in a panic stop, even though they may never realize it. Some riders go a lifetime without going down, others . . . , well, all it takes is once to make a believer out of you.

As far as trading in your bike, unless you made a large down payment you are probably upside down (you owe more than it's worth) on your bike which means the dealership would love to have your business. He's going to gouge you on the trade in, resell your bike for a profit and, still make a profit on the new bike. You will never get a good deal on a trade in to a dealer. If you're not in a rush, sell it on the private market, at least by doing that you'll minimize your loss.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
JJ makes a very valid point. Even if you own your current bike outright, you're going to take a hit on the trade-in. While you're trading an '010 for the same, yours is used and there's no getting around that. Your dealer principal may offer you a new one at $22k, but I'll hazard a guess he won't give you more than $16 for yours so you're looking at $8k difference plus applicable tax and license (not sure what your rules are down there, but it is a factor). Something to consider that has been mentioned by Eric, unless your last name is Rossi, Roberts, Hayden or something in that class of rider, ABS will save your skin and life, likely when you least expect it. That's fact, not conjecture. Your coin, and your choice.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Budoka,

How could he get $16k on a 2010 trade with 12000 miles when you can get the same 2010 brand new level 1 today for mid $17k? What's the dealer gonna sell that used bike for when it's sitting next to his new model w 4 miles on it? I'd say the trade in would be 14k or even less. Either way you gotta want that ABS really really bad....

Edit: I am speaking of US dollars

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't get a chance to go to the dealer. I only had 2 afternoons where the weather co-operated, and I wanted to ride. To address a couple of comments.... I had ABS on my last bike. Any bike I ride, until I get a chance to play with the brakes, and get a feel for what it will do under hard braking, I am not comfortable. (One reason I hate riding anyone elses bike) I have played with this base model brakes, and the bias braking is good, but under evasuave action, abs is wonderful. Too much adrenilin and wheels locking sucks. My brother... LONG time rider... didn't have ABS and had a situation that he could have evaded, and the rear wheel locked just for a second, and slammed him over breaking his back in 5 places. He is OK now, and riding again, but will not ride anything without ABS. He is riding my last bike (FJR1300).
Since I know you all are knowledgable, I believe there probably isn't any way to go to the ABS model now without spending the $5000 at least. (By the way... The $5000 difference is not JUST for ABS. Honda forces you to buy the navigation system and the satellite radio to get the ABS. The $5000 is for all three.
Thanks for the info.....

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
You could wait for the new Goldwing model to show up. That may have ABS standard or in a different option package. You may still take a $5k hit, but you would have a newer bike with perhaps some new bells and whistles..

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Steve,

If I coulda, I woulda bought only the ABS as that is what I actually wanted. Unfortunately, that option wasn't available. I did buy the $5000 version of the ABS that was avilable; it came with free satellite radio and free GPS ;)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't want GPS... When I ride, half the fun is getting lost. I have over 1000 songs on my MP3. Don't need satellite. I would question "Free". Nothing in this life is free.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts