Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my first goldwing...89 gl1500. When cornering the tires slip when I go over those road crack repairs that are filled with tar. It got my attention very quickly. Im 54 and have owned bikes all my life but never one this heavy. The tires are ready to be replaced but certainly not bald. Is this normal or do I have a problem somewear.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
How old are the tires? They loose their grip when they get old, or have been out in the elements too long. They may have good tread, but it doesn't matter, if they have gotten hard.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
i'll bet that the tire compound is getting hard making the tire look good but not much traction. how old are your tires

·
Registered
183 Posts
Most recommend that you ride with tires no more than 6 years old. The date of manufacturer is on the tire!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys...I think you'all are on to something, the bike has been stored in a damp garage for about 5 years and the tires probally wont pass inspection so they could be 7 to 10 years old and now they are probably stiffined up as you guys sugested. I know alot about mechanical things (lifelong tinkerer) but never thought about the rubber getting stiff with time. Thanks so much

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
While the comments about "older" tires are true, the road surface you tell about are affectionately referred to as Tar Snakes! Especially in hot weather hitting those, especially laid over in a turn is about right trying to ride on ice!
Observe your conditions, ride accordingly!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can remember my first negative experience with so-called tar snakes. I was turning into a development when riding over these tar snakes and I felt as though I had a flat tire in the front, the way it felt like it was whobbling. I pulled over and checked the tires. Tires were fine of course but I just have to get use to the feeling of not having the right traction while riding over those snakes. The feeling gets a lot worse while traveling at 65 mph on the highway. I have a propensity for stating the obvious (sorry, can't help it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.