Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 273 Posts

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's a sweet bike for a street model alright, lots of very tasty bits on it too. Ohlins shocks/forks, Brembo brakes, Corsa Diablo tires, slipper clutch, steering dampener Marchesini wheels....Even without the 200 hp engine she's a treat. I offered to load the bike into the transport trailerafter the show closed, never got a key handed to me....go figure:frown2:

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So with my winnings from the article, I revamped my track gear with a new Alpinstars Motegi 1 piece racing suit. On sale through Parts Canada at half off. I figure if I never get over there to witness a MotoGP event, I can at least wear the leathers LOL. Anybody need a red, white and black Honda logo (size xl/ Euro 54) 2 piece leather sport suit? Got a heck of a deal on one...

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Was a great day yesterday all round. Met another dealer from Calgary, Ed from Bow Cycle North, great guy and awesome vintage bike. He runs in the intermediate class on his "little" 125cc 2 stroke (with the modern 600s and litre bikes) and does that sucker haul! Very nicely restored and the workmanship on it is exemplary.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some more action shots from yesterday. Sorry, can't burn your eyes with any shots of me, no track photogs on duty yesterday, Grrrrr.
In the last photo, the white bike with the cat's eye front fairing is a remarkably well built Ducati. Never got a solo shot of him as he was always in a group at my location. Hadn't the proper lens to take a close-up in the pit but the go fast and chassis bits he's put on this bike is utterly amazing (and no doubt very expensive).
To give you an idea what goes in to actually racing a track bike if you're not sponsored, the instructor I worked with took a year off to just race after selling his business and ran independent at as many races as he could here and around the US and Canada. He spent $28,000 in tires alone! Don't worry, that ain't happenin with me...:serious:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
NOT for the faint of wallet...

Glad you had a good day! Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
27,576 Posts
Good stuff, RB. Thanks for the pics

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Maybe I'll have to look into some Castrol or Repsol track plastics for BUSHI huh?:Dance02::fencing: and then the fight started...:budo: (Sepuku)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,476 Posts
Why are they all dressed up like spacemen? Motorcycling riding is casual affair except for those that wear the leather vests and patches.

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
Second childhood, great isn't it.:wink2::laugh2:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oooh, that Castrol livery is very tasty!
If it's a track bike now I'd think track bodywork would be a really good idea, chances are pretty good it's going to see the pavement once or twice (maybe that's just me..) - save that nice stock stuff.

One easy cold tire low side and my fairing looked like this:

Lucky the rest of the fairing pretty well looks like that already :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
With my racing days behind me, I will say that the track gets addictive and expensive. Not sure which is worse. It is fun to reflect back, but glad I got it out of the system earlier in life.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
If anyone is looking for a CBR 1000 to convert to a track bike or run as a vicious street machine, PM me, I have one that I am going to sell.

·
Super Moderator
27,576 Posts
If anyone is looking for a CBR 1000 to convert to a track bike or run as a vicious street machine, PM me, I have one that I am going to sell.
Stop it right now, you evil tempter..................... jaNICE would use her firearm if'n I was to indulge.

·
Premium Member
5,361 Posts
You need to get back in the adrenaline highs again...

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Stop it right now, you evil tempter..................... jaNICE would use her firearm if'n I was to indulge.
Well, there is room for another (two beds) in the patio hauler if you need a place to hang a shingle...

Remember guys, childhood has no bounds, just 'cause you grow older don't mean you have to grow up.

Track plastics are on my radar for sure. Just depends on how the next couple years play out as to how far I carry this track adventure. If I ever move up into the intermediate class then it's a given pretty much, along with suspension mods, mapping, exhaust & rearsets (Sato anyone?) and a host of other goodies. Already spoke with my Honda rep about a pit tent for next season. Have some HRC decals on the way too.

·
Super Moderator
27,576 Posts
Well, there is room for another (two beds) in the patio hauler if you need a place to hang a shingle...

Remember guys, childhood has no bounds, just 'cause you grow older don't mean you have to grow up.

Track plastics are on my radar for sure. Just depends on how the next couple years play out as to how far I carry this track adventure. If I ever move up into the intermediate class then it's a given pretty much, along with suspension mods, mapping, exhaust & rearsets (Sato anyone?) and a host of other goodies. Already spoke with my Honda rep about a pit tent for next season. Have some HRC decals on the way too.
Can you imagine the fun you and I could have on the track together!

:Devil3:

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Prolly a good thing you don't still have that Nighthawk...

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Anybody in the area that's interested, there's another track day on Sunday (6th) out at Castrol. The last one is Oct 4th but that may be pushing my limits for weather and track temps so I'm doing corner flag work that day instead. There are still spots open in all categories if anybody has an inkling to go out and see what track is all about. Novice (where I am) is really a no pressure thing, as long as you have decent gear (CE protection in textile or leather, boots and gloves/lid you're good to go. Mirrors have to be removed or folded and taped (as with other glass pieces) and they prefer non-glycol coolant (distilled water or Engine Ice etc). Or, just come on out and watch us track junkies play. No admission cost for spectators but if there's no other activities going on (drags or oval etc) there is no concessions running so bring some snacks and soft drinks in that case. I'll be pitted with my truck and 5th wheel in plain sight so stop by and we can visit and tell some stories or watch the bigger boys play.

·
Administrator
26,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, that's a wrap for the track riding this year. Have another day that Hx is running but I'm doing corner work for that one and not riding...all part of the learning process for me.
And boy did it rain! Stared about 9:00 Saturday evening so I helped a couple of the guys mount their rain tires (ok I mostly watched and had a glass of wine but I did help a bit), I'd like to try a set of those someday, but right now budget constraints have me limited to my street tires. I only ran 4 sessions and had to call it a day as the cold and wet was getting to me. Even my Pinlock visor didn't stop the fogging once I got into haw the bike reacted to the wet track. No slips or slides or anything, but it ain't like riding on the highway on the rain I can tell you that. Did have the rain jacket, but didn't put the rain pants on and should have. My leathers have breathing holes and expansion panels that allow water in so after 4 hours I was shaking like a leaf.
Had one little oops though. was adjusting tire pressure and wasn't careful enough when rolling the bike forward to get at the front tire valve stem. Stand pulled up and over went my piggy on the left side. No damage other than wounded pride and a tiny scrape on the clutch lever and a signal lens that's a bit kitty wampus (it's coming off over the winter anyway). :facepalm:
Maybe I'll start a club "IDMOBT" (you figure it out):)

21 - 40 of 273 Posts