Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mark which dealer did your brake recall? And what all did they do to it. How long did it take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
Mark which dealer did your brake recall? And what all did they do to it. How long did it take?

I take mine to Got Gear in Ridgeland. The brake part probably took most of a day, it stayed multiple days because of figuring out the TPMS. They work with me by scheduling it ahead of time. I drop it off real early in the morning or late the day before. Talk with Joe or Tabatha.

They replaced the master cylinder, rear pads, and flushed the brake fluid.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Did you only get charged for the rear pads? I read somewhere it's takes 6 bottles of brake fluid to flush out everything the the rear brake petal operates with ABS. Do you have ABS?

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
Did you only get charged for the rear pads? I read somewhere it's takes 6 bottles of brake fluid to flush out everything the the rear brake petal operates with ABS. Do you have ABS?

No charge for any of the brake recall repair. They didn't think the pads were worn just replaced them as per Mother Honda. All that is included. No ABS on mine.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Cool. I have the 4 year extended but in still in the 3 year that comes with it. I hope my sensors are covered under warranty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I will call them and see when they can get mine in for the recall. I don't know what happened to John Moore the service manager. But he is no longer there.

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
I will call them and see when they can get mine in for the recall. I don't know what happened to John Moore the service manager. But he is no longer there.

I asked Joe about John, but can't remember what he told me. He moved on to another job. I've met the new service manager but he mostly lets Joe and Tabatha work with the customers. I liked how John was always involved, good guy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Chiming in here. I had the recall done and now my TPMS light comes on intermittently. I checked my tire pressure and it is spot on. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with the system.

·
Super Moderator
14,576 Posts
Chiming in here. I had the recall done and now my TPMS light comes on intermittently. I checked my tire pressure and it is spot on. Now I am wondering if something is wrong with the system.
The system is subject to interference from signals like cell phone towers. But mine has stayed off for 400 miles now.

If your system light comes on then it means the sending unit isn't getting the information through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hoping this works

My 2010, bought in 2012 with 7 miles on it, had the light (TPMS, not low pressure) come on the first time we took it for a ride. The dealership is only about 5 miles from home. So after a couple trips to the dealer, it behave itself for a couple years. Over the last year and a half the light has been coming on occasionally. I read that the signal is not a continual broadcast/receive and it has to have a certain number of interrupted communication pulses before it lights the lamp. This cuts down on false alarms. Same reason that it can go out if it starts communicating. It resets the count every time it does get through. I saw on another forum how to replace batteries. This member replaced the batteries every second set of tires I believe and had it down to where he could re-solder the new batteries in place while the tire shop had the tires off. I had the opportunity this month while I had my raw aluminum wheels getting powder coated. Waiting to get the wheels back, so don't know if the fresh batteries will make a difference. Build date on my 2010 was October 2009 so the batts are at least 6 years old and I hear the expected life is 7-12 years. Supposedly, the change in batteries does not require a reset/recalibration of the units. I'll add more comments when everything gets back together. Will also be getting the rear brake recall work done as soon as the bike is back on the ground.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
106 Posts
So the auto mechanic in me says wait a minute someone is not recalibrating the system correctly. I googled and came up with this . It seems like the dealer needs to follow the manual and I bet is missing the step to put at LEAST 51psi in each tire BEFORE starting the process.
It not uncommon for a used sensor to need recalibrating if the battery gets weak and it looses communication with the main processor .
Hope this helps . They are great systems when they work
Most tire shops will have a reset tool that should work for those who are out of warranty or stay away from the dealers
Brian

Tools needed:

ATEQ VT-15 available from TireRack.com for about $100.

Fork terminal (or paper clip) to short the connector.

I used a commonly available fork terminal because it fits perfectly in the connector. There is a special Honda tool for this called the Honda SCS Service Connector 07WPZ-0010100 for about $20.

NOTE: You must reset both sensors, first front then rear. If you have replaced one sensor, such as when you use a different wheel on the rear, you still have to rest both sensors.

1. Place the bike on the center stand.
2. Rotate both tires so that the valve stems are at six o'clock.
3. remove the seat.
4. remove the TPMS short connector from the boot. This is a red connector located aft on the left frame rail. Take off the dummy cap to expose the two connector terminals.
5. add air to both tires to put the sensors in programming mode. This requires that the tire pressures be at least 51 psi. I used 55 psi. After adding air, wait for at least 1 minute for the sensors to go into programming mode.
6. place the VT-15 tool next to the front wheel sensor. The order is important here because the TPMS receiver expects the front sensor first. I placed the VT-15 on a block of wood about 1 inch off the ground and within 6 inches of the front sensor.
7. turn on the ignition, then within 15 seconds insert the fork terminal in the short connector.
8. turn on the VT-15 (click left button). The nice thing about the VT-15 is that you don't have to hold the button on, it stays on so you can be standing to look at the TPMS indicator light on the dash.
9. in 3 or 4 seconds the TPMS indicator light should begin blinking at 1 Hz. The front sensor is now registered successfully.
10. within 1 minute point the VT-15 at the rear sensor. The TPMS indicator light will begin to blink at 3 Hz. The rear sensor is now successfully registered.
11. remove the fork terminal from the short connector.
12. turn off the ignition.

You're Done.

Now bleed the air pressure down to 36 front/ 41 rear. Put the short connector back in the boot and install seat.
This being an old discussion, I'm doubtful I'll receive a reply to this question. But nothing ventured...

I just bought a new rear wheel (long story) for my 2013 GL1800. I was about to call the dealership to order a new tire to go with it and schedule a time where I could have them install the tire on my new wheel (full assy with TPMS hardware included) while I waited. My plan was to swap the new wheel with the old one (severely pitted and leaking) at home. Then the thought occurred to me that maybe there was a sync procedure necessary to have the new TPMS hardware communicate with the bike's computer system. Judging from the above, shall I assume this is no longer a DIY job unless I invest in yet another tool? (The VT-15 mentioned above). If so, what else do I need to know?

... reaching for the Service Manual while I await a potential response.

·
Super Moderator
11,949 Posts
My experience with TPMS is that if you have factory units they sync up just fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My experience with TPMS is that if you have factory units they sync up just fine.
... and just where does one find this "factory unit"?

The part specified in the Service Manual (AEQVT55) is not available anywhere that I can find. The VT-15 unit mentioned in another discussion

(and featured in a Youtube Video on resetting TPMS sensors on a GL1800 -
reset tpms goldwing at DuckDuckGo), while available through Amazon, is reported not to work on Goldwings. This from Carnell Luckett Sr, the fellow in the YouTube video above. He got his VT-15 elsewhere, broke it and tried the Amazon version.

I took a chance and ordered the VT-15 at Amazon, and hope Carnell is wrong. If he's right, I'll return the VT-15 and will need to take the bike to a dealership to have the sensors reset. As simple as this DIY project should be, the apparent unavailability to but this one tool is a major disappointment.

If anyone can steer me to a source for a tool that will indeed work on 2012-2017 GL1800s, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Okay, I got the VT-15 and followed the reset procedure outlined in the Service Manual (and demonstrated by Carnell Luckett at You-Tube). Everything looked good until I tried the verification process outlined in the Service Manual. Though the new wheel and sensor were on the rear wheel, the verification procedure pointed to the sensor in the FRONT wheel as not communicating.

Is there something I don't know? It would be an amazing coincidence that that front sensor would suddenly go bad at the same time I got a new rear sensor.

Here's what the Service Manual says,
"Any sensor not replaced (already activated) must be
placed in Test Mode to complete the registration
procedure. Increase tire pressure of the affected
tire(s) to over 50.1 psi and wait one minute. The
TPMS Tester will indicate if this needs to be done."

Can anyone tell me what this means? Is test mode achieved by setting the tire pressure to 51 or more psi? Or is there some step that only the dealership can do?

Heeeeeeeelp,

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here you go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here you go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly what I did. Then on the verification ride, the low tire pressure light would not go off.
The procedure of the verification ride is also in the Service Manual. I followed it to the letter.

"INSPECTION PROCEDURE
1. Remove seat
Remove the red dummy connector from the TPMS short connector (2P Red) (page 25-16).
Short the TPMS short connector terminals
Turn the ignition switch ON.
The low tire pressure indicator and TPMS indicator will come on and stay lit.

2. Test-ride the motorcycle at 12 mph (20 km/h) or more for at least 2 minutes.
When the front tire pressure sensor is registered properly, the low tire pressure indicator will go off, and when the rear tire pressure sensor is registered properly, the TPMS indicator will go off.
Stop the motorcycle and turn off the engine using the engine stop switch.
Turn the ignition switch OFF.
Remove the SCS service connector.
Install the red dummy connector onto the TPMS short connector.
Install the seat (page 2-6).

In my case, the Low Tire Pressure light did not go off.

It would be one heck of a coincidence it suddenly the front sensor went bad at the same time the back one was replaced. Wouldn't it?

Now, this is a 2013 GL1800. I suppose it's possible that the front sensor has been bad for a while and I just never noticed. Would a failed sensor show up on on the instrument panel under normal circumstances?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts