Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty new to this sight. Need help. I have a 2012 GL1800. Since I bought it, the TPMS light came on intermittently. Checked tires....they were fine. During the past 2 weeks, it's been coming on more and more. Brought it to the dealer. They changed both sensors. As soon as I got home, the light came on...WTF??? Damn good thing I have a five year warranty. Called dealer back. He said let the air out on both tires to about 5 psi then fill them up to spec. Obviously it'll go back to the dealer. Any thoughs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
If you have a new set of sensors, your problem should have been over. Strange that it has been happening since new. Never saw the TPMS light on, on my bikes, ever. Keep it going back to the dealer till it stays off. Like you said, good thing you have the warranty. Frustrating tho....

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Mine has had the same problem for about a year now. Hasn't been to the dealer yet because they said it would have to stay with them for two weeks. Mine is also a 2012 model.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
My 2010 started doing that this winter. But just after about five miles and then going off about five miles more. Just in the morning too. They looked at it when they changed tires but since it wasn't on couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I also have this issue with my 2012 wing, which I love. The TPMS seems to be set at the maximum recommended tire pressure instead of the minimum. If there is a cold night, then the TPMS will light until the tires warm up a bit. Otherwise if the pressure in the tire drops even a pound, the light will come on. I have found that keeping my tire pressure about 5 pounds above the max recommended pressure keeps the light off. :pissed: But then the numerous engineering issues reported with the 1800s (ride quality, steering, ergonomics, paint, GPS, XM, etc.) makes me think that this issue fits right in and reflects the current Honda engineering prowess at work. :eekers: I am beginning to suspect that Honda has turned the Goldwing development over to a group of engineering interns. They have done some good stuff, but missed the mark almost as often as a weatherman. :icon_smile_blackeye

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all your responses. The part that pisses me off the most is that the light was coming on intermittently and since the sensors were changed, it stays on continuously. Tomorrow I'll take it to work and see if it goes off. If not, then back to the dealer. Problem is...i don't want it sitting there for another 2 weeks. After all, I bought the damn bike at the same place it gets serviced.

·
Administrator
25,924 Posts
Try increasing the psi in the tires to 40 or so. Whne new, my TPMS would flash all the time, and the pressure was 36 (as the manual recommends. Went up to 40 front and 41 rear and never again had a light unless the pressure was down, typically in the spring after winter storage. If you find 40 psi too hard, decrease by 1 psi at a time until you get teh ride you want and the light stays off. If that doesn't work then your system needs recalibrating.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Try increasing the psi in the tires to 40 or so. Whne new, my TPMS would flash all the time, and the pressure was 36 (as the manual recommends. Went up to 40 front and 41 rear and never again had a light unless the pressure was down, typically in the spring after winter storage. If you find 40 psi too hard, decrease by 1 psi at a time until you get teh ride you want and the light stays off. If that doesn't work then your system needs recalibrating.
I have actually used that same technique on the wife's Smart Car. It does work.

·
Administrator
25,924 Posts
Sometimes you gotta outsmart the smart...
there's also a battery in those wheel sensors. Batteries of any age can and do fail. Not saying that's the problem here, but it's another line of thought.

·
Premium Member
5,312 Posts
If you get it straightened out with a little higher air pressure, you may wish to have the tires filled with Nitrogen as it tends to sway less with air temp changes. Odd that it got worser after they "fixed it". Re-calibration seems like it may be the answer like Budoka say's.

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
They looked at mine during my tire change a couple weeks ago. Re-calibrated them and checked the batteries. Batteries okay, re-calibration didn't help.

I have the rear at 40, front at 38. I'll boost it up a little to see if that cures it. It's just the TPMS light, not the low pressure light. Weird that it just comes on in the morning and not any other time.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Mark mine is the same way, it's never the low pressure light it's the tpms light. Hmmm. What a thinker.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the same issue w TPMS only it's more random. My light goes on than goes off, can be morning or afternoon. I have ridden all day and it comes on and I have ridden 20 minutes and it comes on. It's a '13 Wing.

I keep a small portable air pump that attaches to 12v accessory, keep 40-41 in rear and 37 in front. I will check pressure before riding routinely. Not said anything to dealer yet.

·
Administrator
25,924 Posts
One other point, if the low pressure light flashes, the air pressure is "iffy"; if it stays on, the pressure is low beyond the recommended "safe" zone of the TPMS. When the TPMS light flashes it indicates that there is a problem with the system itself, whether it is an internal malfunction or radio frequency interference (external device on the same transmitting frequency as the TPMS).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2015, my Tpms light comes on about 9 minutes after I start the bike. The first time it stayed on all day, as I checked it several times thru the day and it went off about halfway home, a trip of about 96 miles round trip. Next day it came on at the same point/time and went out about 8-9 min later. I thought it might be temp related as its coole in am when I go to work so I checked it later in the day when it was warmer. Both times it comes on at about 9 minutes into ride and then goes out about 8-9 min later. Quite annoying, like an engine light on a new car. Have an appointment on Thursday, hope they can fix as we take off on a ride Friday morn.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
I have a 2015, my Tpms light comes on about 9 minutes after I start the bike. The first time it stayed on all day, as I checked it several times thru the day and it went off about halfway home, a trip of about 96 miles round trip. Next day it came on at the same point/time and went out about 8-9 min later. I thought it might be temp related as its coole in am when I go to work so I checked it later in the day when it was warmer. Both times it comes on at about 9 minutes into ride and then goes out about 8-9 min later. Quite annoying, like an engine light on a new car. Have an appointment on Thursday, hope they can fix as we take off on a ride Friday morn.

Curious to hear what they say. I have a 2015 and it has just started coming on a few minutes into the ride. About 2 miles of riding and it goes out. I chalked it up to the colder temps in the fall and the tires warming up. I haven't checked the pressure yet but plan on doing it today.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm currently running 41 psi in both and it didn't stop coming on. It only seems to happen after a cold start up. I turned bike off yesterday to fuel and it didn't happen when I restarted. Ive only had a month, love the bike just hate the little glitchy thing. Hopefully it just needs a recalibration.

·
Super Moderator
14,564 Posts
My 2010 started doing the same thing. That yellow TPMS light is showing the system isn't working. It usually goes off after riding some, but the Maggie Valley trip it stayed lit the whole time. I've had it in before and they couldn't find anything wrong, but of course it goes off right before I get to the dealer. Hopefully I will get it checked soon with it lit, but it has started going off again.

The last time there they changed out the batteries to see if that did it but it didn't. Otherwise they couldn't find what the issue is. Let us know if your dealer finds something.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
So the auto mechanic in me says wait a minute someone is not recalibrating the system correctly. I googled and came up with this . It seems like the dealer needs to follow the manual and I bet is missing the step to put at LEAST 51psi in each tire BEFORE starting the process.
It not uncommon for a used sensor to need recalibrating if the battery gets weak and it looses communication with the main processor .
Hope this helps . They are great systems when they work
Most tire shops will have a reset tool that should work for those who are out of warranty or stay away from the dealers
Brian

Tools needed:

ATEQ VT-15 available from TireRack.com for about $100.

Fork terminal (or paper clip) to short the connector.

I used a commonly available fork terminal because it fits perfectly in the connector. There is a special Honda tool for this called the Honda SCS Service Connector 07WPZ-0010100 for about $20.

NOTE: You must reset both sensors, first front then rear. If you have replaced one sensor, such as when you use a different wheel on the rear, you still have to rest both sensors.

1. Place the bike on the center stand.
2. Rotate both tires so that the valve stems are at six o'clock.
3. remove the seat.
4. remove the TPMS short connector from the boot. This is a red connector located aft on the left frame rail. Take off the dummy cap to expose the two connector terminals.
5. add air to both tires to put the sensors in programming mode. This requires that the tire pressures be at least 51 psi. I used 55 psi. After adding air, wait for at least 1 minute for the sensors to go into programming mode.
6. place the VT-15 tool next to the front wheel sensor. The order is important here because the TPMS receiver expects the front sensor first. I placed the VT-15 on a block of wood about 1 inch off the ground and within 6 inches of the front sensor.
7. turn on the ignition, then within 15 seconds insert the fork terminal in the short connector.
8. turn on the VT-15 (click left button). The nice thing about the VT-15 is that you don't have to hold the button on, it stays on so you can be standing to look at the TPMS indicator light on the dash.
9. in 3 or 4 seconds the TPMS indicator light should begin blinking at 1 Hz. The front sensor is now registered successfully.
10. within 1 minute point the VT-15 at the rear sensor. The TPMS indicator light will begin to blink at 3 Hz. The rear sensor is now successfully registered.
11. remove the fork terminal from the short connector.
12. turn off the ignition.

You're Done.

Now bleed the air pressure down to 36 front/ 41 rear. Put the short connector back in the boot and install seat.

Reactions: Chopin
1 - 20 of 62 Posts