Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Gold Wing with, apparently, a leaking rear tire. When I take it in for service the mechanic adds air up to maybe 45 pounds per square inch, and that turns off the flashing Tire Pressure Management System (TPMS) light for a few weeks, which is all I can expect.

But after that few weeks the flashing light returns, which is both irritating and occasionally makes me think I've mistakenly left my left turn-signal on. Also, I suspect the TPMS is just guessing; I've watched it several times go from 29 psi to 38 psi and then back to 29, all in matter of two seconds, which seems unlikely to represent the pressure in that rear tire.

Now, I appreciate that a 2018 Gold Wing lets me know a tire is low on pressure, and I'm aware of the dangers of riding on an underinflated rear tire, but I still have a question, which those of you who have read all this introductory material might have guessed: Is there any way using the electronic controls to turn off the TPMS light?

I'm hoping there's an Easter Egg sort of way, such as pressing some button five times and then three other buttons in some exact order, to disable that blinking light.

If anyone reading this knows of any way to turn off that light, please let me know, and thanks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Johnny - Are you wanting to disable the TPMS permanently or just clear the flashing warning light ? The dealer may need to determine if the pressure transmitter is not reliably synching with it's control unit or possibly the transmitter itself is failing. A riding buddy had so many problems with his TPMS that the dealership knew him by name. After paying to replace both transmitters out of warranty, we used the following procedure to jumper his Tire Pressure Monitor control unit out of the warning system. Although not recommended as the best solution - it simply involves splicing a couple of the wires together.

Here is one of the instructional videos that may help :
How To Disable Honda Goldwing TPMS Lamp | CruisemansGarage.com - Bing video

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JK McDonald, I'm not looking for a way to permanently disable the TPMS blinking light. I'd rather be bothered by it than not know one of my tires is underinflated. I was hoping for a way, using the controls, to disable the blinking light once it's done its job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what Burnerboy was trying to say, so I hope it's OK to assume it's irrelevant to the question I posed in my OP.

Another reason I want to disable that TPMS is that in addition to the blinking light at the top of the dashboard, the TPMS insists on telling me (falsely, apparently) what it thinks the air pressure is at the bottom of the dashboard, which is where, normally, the miles-to-empty value lives.

I'm beginning to think there's no way to temporarily disable the blinking light and the blinking air pressure value, but perhaps someone knows a trick that doesn't involve black tape.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Johnny - Perhaps someone will chime in with a "word of mouth" behind the scenes code but a factory trained tech I know said he wasn't aware of a Honda recommended method to disable the TPMS light. When you jokingly mentioned using a piece of black tape to hide the questionable tire pressure warning reminded me of my dad. Years ago, when I was to take him to a doctor's appointment using his Buick I noticed several pieces of black tape on the instrument panel. He said the dealer couldn't figure out how to keep a couple of annoying warning lights turned off - so he fixed the problem himself. 😊 The car ran fine and it passed the safety inspection every year so never mentioned it again.

Good Luck and Ride Safe Michael

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have no idea what Burnerboy was trying to say, so I hope it's OK to assume it's irrelevant to the question I posed in my OP.

Another reason I want to disable that TPMS is that in addition to the blinking light at the top of the dashboard, the TPMS insists on telling me (falsely, apparently) what it thinks the air pressure is at the bottom of the dashboard, which is where, normally, the miles-to-empty value lives.

I'm beginning to think there's no way to temporarily disable the blinking light and the blinking air pressure value, but perhaps someone knows a trick that doesn't involve black tape.
Sorry John,
It means that I'm also interested in your question, and thought that it was a good one, and wanting to hear an answer myself ... I wanted to hit a smiley face instead of an angry face , and the Y at the end was a ooop's because of my fat fingers, and not wearing my glasses... (sorry :love: )
Ronnie

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
There is something up with your system. I had a similar thing on my 2010. It took a couple trips to the dealer to figure out that the system wasn't syncing with the gauge in the tires. Mine was under warranty but it was still a problem leaving it there a couple times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Burnerboy, it all makes sense now. I hope you got your answer.

crownfire, you seem to have rejected the possibility my tire slowly leaks. The evidence I offer is that once my shade tree mechanic adds air the lights stop blinking for a few weeks. I'm resigned, based on the information I've received from this forum, to living with the blinking lights until I return to get more air and eventually replace that tire with one that doesn't leak.

Thank you all for your replies.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
If your tire is leaking down that's an issue. But it shouldn't have to be over pressurized to stop the TPMS light from showing a low pressure. The TPMS light not working properly was what I was responding to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts