Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the wife saw a guy with a matching trailer to his goldwing and has inquired about us obtaining one. I did a search on the forums for towing a trailer and found nothing. Anybody here have experience towing a small trailer behind the wing? Which ones do you recommend? How does it effect the motocycle. Thanks

Z

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I hauled one from Calif to Maine and into Canada and all points in between, it is a great thing to do, makes traveling so much easier. I also had an ice chest mounted on the trailer tongue to keep ice and cold water in. They range in price from about $500.00 a nice used one to about $4,5000 for a new painted to match beauty. The only dis advantage is when you go over a toll bridge you get charged for a 3-axle vehicle. My wife doesn't ride anymore so I don't have a trailer now.
Here is my 92 and Motovation trailer

Here is my 98SE and Bushtec trailer

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Some people have made homemade trailers by getting a small trailer kit from home depot and mounting a car top carrier on it, Like I said before there are many brands and many prices, you can just about always find a used one for a fair price, Here is a list of just about every trailer manufacturer known, have fun

http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re Trailer

I've had my trailer now for a while and it tows like dream.
At time you literally forget it's there, that's how little it affects the bikes handling

Cheers, ride safe

·
Registered
201 Posts
I built my own by buying a small utility trailer new,it was cheap to buy,took it to the
welding shop and made the axle shorter by cutting a section of the axle out of the center and rewelding it again.I had measured the width of the mirrors and made the trailer to fit within that width of the mirrors for visibility.Bolted a piece of 1/2" plywood on the frame for a deck, 3 coats of marine paint to match the bike.Bought a Sears
Cartop carrier and bolted it to the deck, fit perfectly,water tight and very light. Built
a cargo box for camp fuel,colman stove,extra gas,etc. and U-bolted it to the tongue
in front of the Cartop Carrier. It was an easy project to make and pulled like a dream.
It had the standard trailer hitch 1" 7/8 and never gave me any trouble leaning into
corners at all. There are custom trailers with a universal joint type hitch that are designed for MC's likely better but the standard hitch always worked for me.I trailered that little unit across Canada and I can't recall one single problem I ever had with it.Takes a little getting use to the weight starting from a stop on a hill but no problem.

-Robert-

·
Registered
515 Posts
Been pulling a Bushtec trailer for 2 seasons now. It was strange at first, kept looking in the mirrors to see if it was still there. I think one thing that makes it so easy to tow is the heim joint connection to the bike. getting under way takes some getting used to when the trailer is full, but practice makes perfect. Keep in mind that Honda does not "recommend" towing a trailer and doing so affects stopping distances and can cause extra wear on components.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Keep in mind that Honda does not "recommend" towing a trailer and doing so affects stopping distances and can cause extra wear on components.
If it was up to Honda they would have a warning sticker for getting on the bike from the right side. If you read all the warnings they have you'd never get out the driveway, lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I, also, have a Bushtec and LOVE it. This will be my second season with it and planning to put some miles on it this summer. A word of caution, tho, if you don't set it up right with the suspension after you load it, you will wear the tires out quickly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Best thing we ever did was to add a trailer. We used our first homebuilt HF trailer to allow us to carry our gear for camping. Increased what we could carry for comfort. I was able to buy a used trailer from a yard sale for $25 and a friend gave us a car top carrier. All in all spent about $150 to make the trailer useful. Few year later I was lucky enought to buy a 1988 Bunkhouse camping trailer off of Ebay for $600 and sold my HF for about $200. The Bunkhouse has plenty of storage underneath and gets us off the ground when camping. Best purchases ever made! Well over 10,000 miles with the Bunkhouse trailer!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
This trailer is a Harbor Freight with pickup tool boxes mounted on it. Hauled it out west, 4,600 mile trip, last summer. Load it properly for enough tongue weight, to avoid wag. Do not enter corners to fast, as it will push you a little under braking. Other than that all's good with hauling it, plan to use it a lot more next summer.

:worthless_without_p

Reactions: crownfire

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Curious Jim, how heavy is the rig with the checker plate construction? That the tail end of your Voyager? I always liked them.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Curious Jim, how heavy is the rig with the checker plate construction? That the tail end of your Voyager? I always liked them.
The boxes are all aluminum, the diamond plate on the front is 14 ga. aluminum as well. When loaded with tent, sleeping bags, mattress, clothing and a few supplies it weighs 300 to 350 lbs. (guessing). You can grab a fender with one hand and lift tire off ground. Yes, that is the Voyager it is hooked to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I lucked into a used tailwind trailer mid 2016 and have about 3,000 miles on it already. It wasn't cheap but I will never regret getting it. It's low profile, I can sleep in it and it will hold just about everything I need to bring along on a trip. Bonus is it matched pretty close to my wing when I bought it so didn't have to paint it.

Reactions: speedymph1000

·
Registered
485 Posts
I wanted to throw in one more caution. With a big bike, and a low trailer, (mines a Bushtec) it is sometime difficult for others to see the trailer. I'm planning on putting some kind of tall flag (like on the back of a pedal bike) on my trailer. Drivers assume that once the bike is past, it's safe to move in behind it. I've had a driver, in traffic, pull in behind the bike, not seeing the trailer and hit it. It did very little damage, and didn't knock me off the bike, but that's just dumb luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts