Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you know that I recently bought a pre-owned Tow Pac Insta Trike. For those not familiar some refer to this trike modification as outriggers or training wheels. :p. It's basically a poor man's trike as it's about one third the cost of a full trike conversion. It's also not a permanent installation as the trike is removable in 5 minutes if one wanted to convert back to 2 wheels. Essentially you still use the rear wheel of the motorcycle as the drive wheel.

Some who own one speak about stiff steering as one doesn't lean or use counter steering. It was easier to steer than expected and find a fast learning curve with it. I expected to be going wide in the corners but find I can cut a corner just as tight as I want too without lifting up the TP wheels. I find myself power sliding through the deep sand on my private road and when pulling off road don't worry about anything loose or irregular surfaces.

I'll probably add to this review over time and riding experience to share rider impressions about the TP Insta-trike.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Seems you like it. Good for you. Keep us updated...

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts
It's a convertible. I know Mz. Vickie would enjoy her rides without worry with this set up.
Yeah but your ego coudn't handle the Image.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah but your ego coudn't handle the Image.:rolleyes:
Bill, having previously ridden motorscooters and encountering what Rodney Dangerfield coined as; Can't Get No Respect, from fellow motorcyclists, was a good primer for my manhood and precursor to getting the Tow Pac. Real men also ride motorscooters and Tow Pacs.;):p:D:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you ridden it enough to tell if it had a big effect on the fuel economy?

Aaron
Haven't refilled tank yet but will do possibly today so I'll compute mileage. I suspect it will take a hit of 2-3 mpg. That's what others are reporting. I'm generally a fairly aggressive rider as I'll probably be slowing it down a bit and hopefully helping fuel economy. The Tow Pac however doesn't affect bike performance as it will still get out there ahead of traffic. Haven't raced any Harley's yet. I can just see the look on their faces :eek:

·
Administrator
29,019 Posts

:D:D:D:D

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Funny stuff Bill. I love it. That guy really makes me laugh. :) Loved the one; you know you're ugly when the wife sends out the kids at Halloween looking like me and the one; you know you're ugly when at Halloween the kids are trying to tear off your face. :p:p:p

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
Like,like, like:eek: Unless you prefer to shall we say, embellish the truth about how great it is:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Hey now, don't pick on Ron, he's your elder! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like,like, like:eek: Unless you prefer to shall we say, embellish the truth about how great it is:rolleyes:
Well the truth is Ron, these trikes, at least this one gets blown around a bit in 30 mph gusts, like today. Nothing frightening or soiling to the trousers however they walk around a bit. Nice thing though, no matter where you find yourself on the road, you're still balanced and won't get blown over.

Another down side to trikes is the vulnerability at red lights. On 2 wheels I prefer riding left track and therefore stop left track at lights so
the driver in front can see me in their side mirror. With a trike you ride center track and pull up to lights in center track. Today the SUV in front of me decides, for whatever reason, she wants to put it in reverse and back up a bit. Perhaps she thought she was sticking out too far. I began blasting my enemic stock horn to get her attention. Fortunately she looks in her rear view mirror and stops just before she shoves me into the car behind me. Perhaps more folks look at their side mirrors than the rear view which I feel makes me more vulnerable to situations like this. Perhaps I will get a modulating headlight set-up so my annoying lights lets them know I'm there and a better horn goes on my to do list too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to hear you are enjoying the "trike" ride. I was somewhat worried, from the way you like to ride that you wouldn't like it. What does the wife think about it? I know it is a relief on your drive in road. (Can't call it a driveway being a mile and a half long, lol). Best of luck with it Dan. Hope you remain happy with it.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Glad you are liking the tow pac Dan. Yes I have the modulating headlights and the brake lights also. I also have a louder than stock horn on mine to get the cages attention when needed.

Ride Safe Always !!!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glad you are liking the tow pac Dan. Yes I have the modulating headlights and the brake lights also. I also have a louder than stock horn on mine to get the cages attention when needed.

Ride Safe Always !!!
Thanks Jerry. Those items go on my to list too. BTW, I'm actually restraining my enthusiasm a little of the Tow Pac. It's much more fun than I had ever imagined.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to hear you are enjoying the "trike" ride. I was somewhat worried, from the way you like to ride that you wouldn't like it. What does the wife think about it? I know it is a relief on your drive in road. (Can't call it a driveway being a mile and a half long, lol). Best of luck with it Dan. Hope you remain happy with it.
I was wondering too if I'd like it or not Jack? It surprised me quite frankly. For someone whose never ridden a trike it's impossible to explain but has to be experienced. Deb hasn't ridden with me yet as I was wanting to hone my skills first. Gosh, the learning curve for me has been so short as we'll ride together soon. As for my road, it's a huge relief as no more white knuckle rides and close calls dumping in the deep sand. Now I just power slide through it in a 4 wheel drift. That's allot of fun. BTW, my dirt road is a half mile long but long enough for peril on 2 wheels. Now it's a piece of cake. :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Glad you'er happy with your rig. Do you get any side to side 'chatter' on uneven road surfaces? My wife comlpained fo a harsh chatter in the rear of our Lehman; didn't retain that cushy Goldwing luxurious ride.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts