Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming to the US later next year with some friends to ride route 66.
I intend hiring a Goldwing for the trip. I would like some advice, if it is better to just hire the bikes and ride the route, or should I do an organised tour with accommodation etc organised by the touring company.
As I haven't ridden in the US before I am not sure on the best way to go.

If I use a tour group for the ride - can anyone recommend a reputable touring company for me to contact. Or a company where I can just hire the bikes for a one way trip.

Any advice would be great.

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Simo,

1st you want to read some good material. I will provide some links for you.

http://www.historic66.com/

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-main.html

http://www.hhjm.com/66/

There are not a lot of rentals outlets for Goldwings. Some but not a lot so you want to find them & secure that quickly. As far as Route 66 itself there are groups that ride it (not sure about touring companies but it wouldn't suprise if there was). If I were you I would get the Bike & go it alone. The people along the Route are some of the very best.

The link below is from My/Little Lady's Cross Country trip last year which included riding Route 66 in every State that it is in. We did not do the whole Route as we wanted to see other things.

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3540

Gather your info, Good Luck with the plans & Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Pretty much ditto on what Fossil said. Wouldn't hurt to put up a bit more info in your profile tho;) I know where you're at but the rest of the members would love to know (our little secret for now mate:D). You have some countrymen running around here, as well as one who's in the hoping, planning stages of a trip over too. (Did I give it away yet?:rolleyes:) Cheers! Depending on where you're starting out, Eaglerider rents Wings.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Eaglerider is one that will do Goldwings and more I have used them 2xs and all went great.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

I have updated my profile as suggested.

Yes, I think that I would like to just hire the bikes and do it alone. A lot more freedom.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Simo: I will be so interested in your experience in the USA. We are going to get there soon and do a Cook's tour of the Southwest. Eric

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hey Simo, I see you've met the Hoon! Yeah, on your own is really the way to get the flavour of anyplace new. Can get a bit confusing at times, but that's half the fun once the heartburn is over.:cool:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eric,

Yes I will pass on the info after the trip. However, you may go before me as I am planning to go later in 2013. I am more and more convinced to do it alone.

Golddragon. Thanks for the recommendation. I will contact Eaglerider.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Simo: Have you read the route 66 report in Australian Roadrider. There is a lot of info that may interest you. I would still have that copy somewherer. You should be able to get it off the net as well. Eric

·
Super Moderator
14,422 Posts
Welcome and I'm sure you will get a lot of advice before your trip. If you have questions about places let us know, many will have been there before. What time of year are you planning for? The weather can get pretty hot during the summer and cold in the winter. Early fall would be my choice - September or October. If I ever plan to get down your way I know that I will have a lot of questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mark, I am planning for September. I am also looking at doing it from West to East.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI LarryinSeattle,

Thanks for the tip.

I notice you have been a friend of Bill W. for 30 years. I have also been a friend of his for 30 years this September.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I am going to be the bunny here and say who is Bill. Larry is in the USA and Simo is a Mexican from Down Under. So what gives. Eric

·
Registered
741 Posts
For all points from San Luis Obispo, Hearst Castle, Monterey, Santa Cruz mountains, San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, to Lake Tahoe, California...give me a call and I'll set you straight. These are my stomping grounds and would love to help out. How long will this trip be because you can stay in many areas for one month and still be discovering new and unique places. For example, last year I stayed a month in the Zion National Park/Grand Canyon N. Rim area and still couldn't get enough. I get away once a year for 1-1/2 months at a time and have discovered that it is best to pick a location and settle in versus scattering yourself across this huge country of ours. Come back again for another round in a different location later. However, if this will be a one time trip, I suppose there is no better way to cover ground & immerse yourself better than on a Goldwing. My wife doesn't read this forum so I can say this: So many times I wish I could just take off for a couple of months, just me and my bike. I'm jealous of your endeavours.

PS. I'm Bill, but not Bill W.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dookoo

I will be coming over for around 1 month only, so I will be limited on what I can do. That is why I decided to do Route 66. However, thank for your offer and I may be able to take you up on that next time. John

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
@ Gawrsh...I reckon Alberta's waaaaaay out of the question then? Maybe Alberta's just going to have to come to you;) OK, big maybe but you never know who's available....:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
One comment I might add would be to have an ample supply of warm layers and good rain gear. Even in early September, it can get cold in many areas along Route 66 and rainy as well.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Now we are talking buddy old mate. I am ready, What do you want to see. KI, Naracoorte, Flinders Rangers, Great Oceon Road, Straight up the Centre Uluru. Come on Down. No presure but when do I need leave. Black Dog Ride is in August. Eric

1 - 20 of 28 Posts