Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Goldwingers:
Tomorrow I pick up my new to me Titanium 06 Wing w/ Nav package. My wife and I are planning a 3 day ride to break it in. We're planning it loose and free. The route and time table are not in stone. We leave Chattanooga tomorrow after picking up the bike. We thought we would head west, clip Georgia and go along upper Alabama, perhaps along US 72 thru Huntsville and on towards the Nachez Trace. If we make it that far the first day,we'll head down thru Mississippi on the Nachez Trace. Then for day 3 back up thru Alabama on state route 69.. Where possible we thought we would avoid the interstates..... Any of you Southern Riders that know the territory, let me know.... this is all new ground for us. It may be to ambitious for a first ride on our new Wing.... (we're trading up from our 96 Aspencade.....). It's probably to late to get any replies before we leave tomorrow morning ((its about Midnight EST, as I post this), but we will try to find a motel w/ wireless and post our progress....

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Congrats on your wing ! I don't know if you have ever ridden the trace , but i would prefer to ride it in the spring . We were on the trace yesterday and only saw one deer and 6 turkeys, the scenery is not good at all right now . I hope you enjoy your trip wherever you go and be safe !! I live in Athens Al . just off hwy.72. I personally would rather do the Smokies if it were me and especially living in Chattanooga !

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Check - out ...travel iteneraries on the natchez trace parkway for mileage between the nearby communities for lodging purposes !! Good luck !! Benny

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
It may be to ambitious for a first ride on our new Wing.... (we're trading up from our 96 Aspencade.....).
I don't think that's too ambitious at all. You had your Aspencade. Ride, enjoy & be safe.

Ohhh take pictures & post them as well. We like pictures....:D

Can't help with your travel plans much because I live in the winter states.

Quick look at these websites though & maybe you can get some ideas.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

http://www.openroadjourney.com/

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Good advice from the gang, enjoy your jaunt!

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
have the best time and tell os all when you get back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ride Report Day 1 of 3.....
We didn't go Kickstands up till a little after 1 pm.... (held up w/ paper work at the dealer) We took Santini's advice and did a 180 and instead of heading west into Alabama, we went East up into the Smokies..... (fossil, your Motorcycle Roads link is great) We went up 64 past the Olympic White Water Course (which was dry as a bone) to Murphy and on to Robbinsville, NC. Robbinsville is a great Motorcycle friendly community. We're staying at the Microtell in Robbinsville..... and couldn't be happier. They are as Motorcycle friendly as it gets..... they even offer towels for wiping down your bike..... (a small table in the lobby has a stack of towels and a sign welcoming their use). They offer a discount for bikers.... we're luv'n it... We started our ride out w/ temps in the mid 50's... we were layered up and actually overheated from sitting around in our traveling gear trying to get going. I wore a fleece shirt, short sleeve shirt w/ pockets.... leather vest, long john pants, Jeans and leather chaps, insulated socks and shorty finger riding gloves.... As I mentioned, we started off overheated. I rode for the first hours w/ my jacket unzipped trying to cool off from my overheated stay in the dealer show room. Note, the delay wasn't the dealers fault but the bank's..... As we moved past the Olympic park into the North Carolina Mountains, I understood Bill Reber's comment above about "watching for ice...." the mountains all around us were coated w/ a dusting of snow.... it was a beautiful site (and luckily the roads were dry.....) As we moved farther into the mountains and the sun began to fall, so did the temperature. Jacket zipped up, traded shortly gloves for insulated gloves, added a fleece face shield (which I wore as a scarf as I have a full face helmet) but still didn't need the extra fleece vest stored in the saddle bag.... we did just fine with the temperature.... as it dropped. We were layered just right. As we pulled into the Microtell in Robbinsville the temp had dropped to 33 degrees and we were just starting to feel a little chill.....but not bad. Can't understand why we are the only bikers at the Inn..... the day 1 break in ride of our new to us Goldwing was awesome, skys were blue and we dressed for the temps. Tomorrow we plan to ride the Tail of the Dragon on Route 129.... we plan to take that, all the way out to route 411 and come back over the Cherohala Skyway to Robbinsville for another night at the Microtel. I'll try to remember to take some pics of the views. I've posted a pic of me and our Wing just before pulling out of the Honda dealer.... and again w/ my wife Laurie and I together, helmeted up and taking off..... Till then, thanks for all the great feed back

PS, I was going to post pics, but don't see how. When I click on the "insert and image" icon, it asks for an Http address..... If someone will let me know I'll post some pics....
Thx

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
You guys are looking good. Look happy too. Enjoy the ride, be safe & we look forward to some more pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I ride those mountains as offen as I can and love them so much I purchase a cabin just ouside of Helen Ga. A few year back I stopped riding them this time of year due to random ice on the road . In spring you might see my black wing there any weekend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
BTW any one want to meet up in Lake Lure in mid April for a weekend of riding lets hear from you and maybe we can make a plan ? I plan to burn what vacation I have then after being layed up from Jan 24 until then due to bladder cancer and reconstruction as a result. Doc said the reconstuction will not prevent me from riding so I took my wing off the market and feel much better knowing I can at least RIDE yahooo !

·
Super Moderator
9,880 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing. Looks great. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Hi WDNWing,

I've ridden the routes you are now on with my kids about 20 years ago when we lived in NC. Ride safe and enjoy. Be sure to include a Shenendoah Valley, Virginia trip in your spring/early summer or early fall itinerary for 2012. It is excellent and you will meet wonderful people there.
Tatanka

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Good looking Wing, and you are definitely enjoying it!

·
Premium Member
7,189 Posts
Hey Goldwingers:
Tomorrow I pick up my new to me Titanium 06 Wing w/ Nav package. My wife and I are planning a 3 day ride to break it in. We're planning it loose and free. The route and time table are not in stone. We leave Chattanooga tomorrow after picking up the bike. We thought we would head west, clip Georgia and go along upper Alabama, perhaps along US 72 thru Huntsville and on towards the Nachez Trace. If we make it that far the first day,we'll head down thru Mississippi on the Nachez Trace. Then for day 3 back up thru Alabama on state route 69.. Where possible we thought we would avoid the interstates..... Any of you Southern Riders that know the territory, let me know.... this is all new ground for us. It may be to ambitious for a first ride on our new Wing.... (we're trading up from our 96 Aspencade.....). It's probably to late to get any replies before we leave tomorrow morning ((its about Midnight EST, as I post this), but we will try to find a motel w/ wireless and post our progress....
I am sorry I didn't see this. I could have given you a tour. Perfect weather for the last couple of days. I will be riding this morning and I hope to see you. Please ride safe and watch out for the #@$%ing DEER. A lady last night had one jump into her car through the front windshield and out the back. Cut her up bad.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts