Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a 4200 km trip I have come to the conclusion that some extra goodies might make the next trip more comfortable.
1) Cruising pegs. I am looking at the Kuryaken iso 2 with switch blades. Any comments or suggestions?
2) Some kind of Sheep skin for the seat.
Any input will be appreciated,
Thanks

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have the Kury highway boards and really like them. I would have been nicer to have the 4" arms instead of the 6" they come with. Because of how they mount, I can't actually stretch my legs out, but it's the change in position that makes the difference. I don't have any issues wit the seat, and I've put in some fair lengthy days in the saddle (13 hours is the longest so far). I had a faux sheepskin on my '84 and it made all the difference in the world. Lots of the GWRRA members I've spoken and ridden with have Hartco custom built seats and they really like them, but you are talking made to measure and serious $$, but no more than a Corbin or Ultimate or Mustang, and they are made to fit you personally. Some riders use the beads for the seat, but I have trouble getting my mind around them. I like my trunk rack for light stuff (rainsuits, jacket liners etc), but you can't let the Mrs pack that bag. Mine only understands volume; funny how unless it concerns clothing sizes that (most) women have no conception of weight. If you haven't got liner bags for your bike, I'd recommend those, they keep the trunk and saddlebags tidy. I used to carry a tank bag on the 1200, but they had different bodywork and the straps could be made to work. The tupperware on the 1500's and 1800's pretty much stymies that option. There is a storage option for trailer hitches I've seen if space is what you are after, but it would likely put the bike waaaay over GVWR if loaded. We can do that with the volume we have now real easy. I thought my wife would be real happy with the Kury arm rests, but she's kind of non-commital on them so I don't know. I got her Transformer boards too, and she hasn't said all that much about them, she says she's not uncomfortable at all on the 1800 with or without them. I guess I should have went for more bling instead of being thoughtful?

·
Registered
123 Posts
...Some riders use the beads for the seat, but I have trouble getting my mind around them....
I think your mind is in the wrong place. :D
But seriously folks - I wasn't sure about the beaded seat, but I got one and it's really a lot more comfortable than I would have thought, and I don't have any natural padding on my posterior to speak of. It's a real lifesaver (or at least butt saver) in the hot weather. The airflow through it prevents monkeybutt, and I've tested it on a couple of 450 mile days in 90+F temps.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I have the Iso Pegs and really like them. Some guys like the gel seat sold at Walmart. Pack light. You would be surprised how many day you can wear a pair of jeans.. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
1) Cruising pegs. I am looking at the Kuryaken iso 2 with switch blades. Any comments or suggestions?
2) Some kind of Sheep skin for the seat.

1)My brother has the switch blades. I believe his thoughts are that they are ok but if he was buying new he probably wouldn't get them again.
2)As budoka eluded to I have a Hartco seat & it works great. If you want to get just a cover than here might be an idea.
http://www.buttbuffer.com/
Also some guys use the Airhawk cushion & really like them as well.

You don't mention or at least I didn't see it what Model Wing you have but I can tell you some of the things that I have for my 1500

Kury Highway pegs #7976
Slipstreamer Xtall Windshield
Superbrace
Bellypan
Baker Hand wings
Leg wings
Kury Transformer boards for her (This one I would probably not buy again She only used them once or twice & said that they were OK)
Hartco seat w/backrest
Iso Grips
Heated gear hookups
Hitch w/rack for Tbag
H4 Headlights
Compufire alternator for higher output & accessories relay

As you can see I go for function & comfort. All that Chrome crap they can sell to someone else.

As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bear,
I have the Kury iso pegs (without switchblades) and I like them a lot. They come with 6" arms. I ended up buying the 4" arms so I could stretch out a bit more. Too bad the iso pegs can't be purchased with 4" arms. Dealer I bought them from said he sells 3 sets of regular pegs for every set of switchblades. Don't know if the heel piece on the switchblades make that much of a difference, but they can't hurt I guess.
I've never had a sheepskin cover or beads. I need to look into that, although I like the seat on my '10 so far.
Rob

·
Registered
154 Posts
One other thing, I put a F4 shield on mine. I bought the one that's 4" taller with vent. I had too much buffeting with the stock shield, set as high as it could go. I love the new shield. Rain sheds right off (some special hard coating) and no more buffeting at all. You do look through the 4" taller shield which some do not like.
Rob

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
F4 shields seem to be fairly popular, but after readin Marksvette's post the only shield I'd consider is a V-Stream. My stocker is just fine for now. When solo I have it all the way down, and when the little woman is with me I raise it two notches. Now if it was electric I'd play with it lots more on height adjustment... ah Daryl shut up about the electric shield already, jeesh.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am kind of tall and needed another 4" to stop the buffeting around my helmet. Wind noise drove me nuts too.
It's super clear, fit perfect, no more buffeting or wind noise. You could probably smoke behind this shield. They say it's got some hard coat on it and you can wash it with paper towels and not scratch it. Won't be trying that!
They are kinda pricey though. Only thing I wish is that it had the black gradient area at the bottom like the stock shield.
Maybe the next GL1800 or 2000 or whatever it is will have an electric shield? I am dieing to see what the next model looks like. Knowing Honda, I bet it is awesome. But I'll wait a year for them to get the bugs out of it and read the reviews before I trade up. Until then, this 2010 is a keeper for sure.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
ah Daryl shut up about the electric shield already, jeesh.
I'm glad you said it budoka, you really have that axe ground so hard that you're almost at the handle.

Maybe soon buddy all your wishes will come true.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
As far as the seat goes the gel seat works best for me on the long hauls!! Priced about $100. Just dont leave it in the sun or you will get too hot in areas you dont want too!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been using the butt pad from Alaskan leather for several years. I went with black sheep custom full cover on the wing. My wife and I really like it.
Also using the kuryakyn is pegs. They work and do a pretty good job.
as far as storage (the wings storage sucks as compared to my Ultra) I got the pakit.
Baker hand wings for the wife.

I will be able to compare the wing vs the ultra in a few weeks. Going on a 2,500+ mile trip.

dd

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Nothing wrong with Harleys Dirtbobber, but they are less powerful, noisier, and require much more maintenance. I know I had two of 'em and have ridden many. The only models I've never ridden are the Streetglide, the XR1200 and the Rocker C.
Yeah Fossil I don't have hardly enough axe-handle left to hang onto LOL. It's funny that no aftermarket kit has surfaced for the w/s adjust. Maybe that survey Wingstuff did will prompt some action.

·
Registered
77 Posts
yea the iso highway boards are a must, the baker built mirror wings and side wind wings, are also a must have. a taller tulsa windshield, with a vent installed will fit the bill also. and get you an utopia backrest too, for those long hauls. they feel great on your back. hope this helps. keep on einginit rick

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
budoka, you are right I like my Ultra. A lot I might add. I have made power adjustments you might say to it and does well in that area now. 90 hp with 100 tq
The wife likes the GW a Lot. I am liking the wing better each time I ride it. There is a lot more I want to do the wing but I prefer to do things a little at a time so I can continue to ride all I want. I will be adding the air wings in the future as well as a belly pan.

As always with me I never get through changing/adding things to my bikes until it is sold which is seldom. that is why I have so many. My shop is 30 feet by 50 feet so I can still add a few more and still have room to work on my bikes if needed.

Accessories never stop. That's part of the fun

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought a sheepskin pad from babies-r-us online for about $48 with shipping. Its long enough to go up the utopia backrest,but only about 12inches wide-covers most of the seat-big enough for my butt-alot cooler;now we need to invent an air-conditioned helmet.On a recent ride up through Wis.all I could think about was pulling over and jumping in a lake.Finally cooled off today.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all of the input.... much appreciated.
The riding pegs are on order, found a place with sheep skins @ $100cn
Question on back rests. I have received varying opinions on the differences between the Kury and the Honda back rest in regards to adjustability.
What say the gang?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Bear, are you referring to the passenger backrest? I don't think any of them adjust. Honda doesn't list a driver backrest, and I don't think they ever did. The Kuryakin driver backrest claims adjustability and tilt but I have no experience with one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts