Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I recently bought an '82 Interstate fairly cheap simply because it's been sitting for over 10 years in a friends pole building.
It's in ok shape and all, and after rebuilding the carbs, brakes and a few other things I'm going to be replacing the timing belts and installing an aftermarket digital instrument cluster this weekend. (The speedometer screams while moving (even after a new speedo cable) and the tach is bouncy)

For starters, I've been an ASE tech for over 15 years and have experience working on pretty much everything with an engine and wheels that requires a license plate.

Now being that the bike is almost 40 years old with about 45k miles on it, is the reason I'm doing the belts.
I have the original "service manual", but when it comes to the timing belts there is very little info in the manual.
I've already watched a few youtube vids and searched quite a bit through this site, but I'm having an issue finding the torque specs for the timing cover as well as the belt tensioner bolts.... And I'm picky as hell when it comes to re-installing certain things perfectly - especially when it takes hours to do the work.

As far as part numbers go...
I already purchased the belts on Amazon - T274 Gates
Though since I'm planning on removing the radiator completely, I'd like to replace the upper and lower hoses. So does anyone know if there are aftermarket hoses available (gates?) that I can purchase or would I be better off buying bulk hose in that diameter and cutting what I need?

Thanks in advance for info given.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don’t know exactly what reference manuals you have, so here is a couple of links. I also do not see a specific torque value for those bolts. Maybe go with the standard torque according to bolt diameter. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress. Everyone loves it when a bike comes back from the dead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don’t know exactly what reference manuals you have, so here is a couple of links. I also do not see a specific torque value for those bolts. Maybe go with the standard torque according to bolt diameter. Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress. Everyone loves it when a bike comes back from the dead.

After doing a little more looking around, I found a post where someone laid out the torque specs for an 86 Aspencade which was 19ft-lbs... While torqueing the bolts, 19 felt a little light to me considering the vibration on the front of the motor and especially while supporting the belt. So I ended up putting red locktite on it and running them to 25ft-lbs.

As soon as I pulled the timing cover off, I could easily tell that the belts were original... And there was about 15-20mm of belt slack because they were so stretched out. Definitely glad I decided to get them out of the way this week.
Being that I only paid $600 for the bike, plus parts to rebuild the carbs, rear shocks, all brakes, full tune-up, front tire and a fully digital instrument cluster - I'd say that I still paid less than a grand in total.
The bike itself looks rough and you can tell it's been laid down a few times, but after all I've done to the motor, it runs perfect. Don't even need to choke it during cold morning starts.
So I'm figuring I'll run this one for a while to get used to a big bike again (last goldwing was an 86 Aspen) and then I'll start looking for a newer wing next year maybe at the end of spring.
Now that the timing belts are done though, I'd definitely trust it for a longer ride than just the 30 minutes back and forth to work every day.

Once I find a new bike however, this one will end up being a parts/part-out bike. Perhaps I'll pull the motor out and do a full rebuild and cleanup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts