Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wanted to try these things and just never made the final step to order them.... until today. I'll give 'em a try and use my stock mufflers in combo with the Torq Loopz. I'm not really looking or expecting any performance gains even though this mod is advertised as doing so. And would I really notice a 3 to 5% gain... I dunno. I want to try something different just because. Heck, I might even try an auto tire on the rear! Isn't that a crazy idea???

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
i thought you might comment on that... just guessin
Sometimes if it wasn't for that subject my buddy would have very little to say.;)

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Speaking of c/t. Lee you steered me right on the correct pressure. Now running 32 and what a difference. Almost like a new rear suspension. Really got to test it out last week on my 1000 mile west Texas ride. Made my 9 hour days in the saddle much more comfortable.

So Donald, if you want to make some real gains on that bike you might consider a rear tire alternative.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Actually Dan, I think I will do that soon. I have 12K on my original tires now so I am not too far away from a change. Initially I just threw tha comment in there to make sure Lee was paying attention but now that we're on the topic I think I'll sign up for that change in the not so distant future

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good luck with the aftermarket goodies, when you do the work can you let me know if there is room to heat wrap those torq loops? I should ask if the pipes were wrapped would there still be clearance for them.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Actually Dan, I think I will do that soon. I have 12K on my original tires now so I am not too far away from a change. Initially I just threw tha comment in there to make sure Lee was paying attention but now that we're on the topic I think I'll sign up for that change in the not so distant future
Probably don't need to preach to the soon to be preacher too. I've got about 2000 on mine now and they ride smooth and quiet. I ride just as aggressive in the corners and feel no compromise or instability. I'm super happy with my choice of rear tire. I am also considering a TPMS system for bike and trailer as I run a run flat.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
I smelled a rat trap, but I was hungry and took the bait. Can you say " cheese " ? There is a hot brand of C/T on the Darksider's choice list and I want you to try it. I have only 6,000 miles on mine, so it may be at least a year or two before I'm ready again.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
knelson... I will certainly check that out and post an update. I hear that it's a tight fit

Lee I'll get back with you on that. 'nuther couple/few thousand and I might just change front and rear

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Only thing that steered me away from the Loopz was the fact that I had to cut out the catalytic converter. If you ever 'wanted' to return to stock config, then the cat would have to be welded back in. Not to mention the emissions test possibility. I'll be interested in the Loopz and stock pipes sound/note vs the cat and Kingsnake combo I have on mine. My bike is still real quiet until the tap is wide open, just a bit more burble at idle and a nice mellow growl around town. If I really want to make my presence known, I can just give the RC a good hard rh twist and let those twin Yoshimura's wail. Em, not that I would ever do such a thing....;)

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yup I thought about that Budoka. In Florida I don't have the emissions issue. If I decide I don't like the Torq Loopz, well now my 1 day project becomes a real pain in the a**. What I am thinking is about the Torq Loopz then adding the Daytonas. I'll make that decision after Phase 1 :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
knelson... the answer is yes
Thanks, do you really have to cut out the cats to install these torq loops? I wonder what that will do to the bike?
On cars and trucks some have non heated o2 sensors so without the back pressure and heat from the cats the o2 sensors do not heat up properly and the vehicle stays in open loop for too long. I am guessing that the wing has heated o2 sensors.
Does anyone know for sure what if any side effects these torq loops will have on our wings? I am also interested in getting these one day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I talked to a guy that put them on his 2010. He said one of the brackets did not line up and that he did not like the way it "popped" out the exhaust when he let off of the gas. He switched over to premium gas and that fixed the popping. It sounded about the same to me at idle

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
OK well I got them installed but not without difficulty; translation = Pain in the ***... still not done.

1) the directions are terrible as has been stated in many reviews
2) the fit is not good. When reinstalling all the trim, things don't just snap back into place nor do they line up. I had to drill one item to get it to fit.
3) I still have exhaust leaks on both side albeit small leaks but leaks nonetheless.
4) Budoka - I have only put a few miles on the pipes but the sound of Torq Master pipes w stock mufflers is a negligible increase in decibels. What I do hear is like adding a 5th person (barritone) to a barber shop quarter. I would say that the sound of the Kingsnakes or Daytonas on the stock pipes is just a bit louder than the Torq Loopz with stock mufflers.
5) Performance - I'll hold comment on this until I finish the job and get to do some riding.

Last but not least, I have read good reviews about the customer service (Jimmy). I have call 3 times and only got VM. I left a message on Friday and another this morning... haven't had a call back yet.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Jimmy was very prompt with my enquiries, so I don't know what is up at the moment. I hope you can get the leaks fixed:eek: You might want to try Dookoo's drill mod and see what that does with the sound. Jim did say that the combination of the Loopz and the 'snakes or Daytonas would be enough to make my HD buddies 'wee themselves' with the throttle twisted hard. You didn't put Screaming Eagle pipes on Wendy's Glide did you?;) I'd say there has to be some minor improvement in performance with the cats gone due a decrease in backpressure (we used to do it all the time on our vehicles some 20+ years back). The Torq Loopz to me look to be kind of a farther down-line header system that takes the place of the strangling nature of the catalytic converter so that's where the combination of them + pipes will get the big 6 breathing more efficiently. But you can't just clean up the exit without clearing the throat some either so intake improvement will be necessary before any real (more than 1-2 hp) performance gain is found. I doubt that even with some kind of electronic (like a power commander) wizardry and custom mapping you will be lucky to find more than 3-4 hp.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did receive a call today. Jimmy is sending an extra set of gaskets and clamps so I can seal up the leaks. He says he has heard of this before not often but it does happen. I will be ordering some mufflers in the near future... like in a week when I get back from a short business trip. Maybe getting the Daytonas, Kingsnakes, or Exotics not sure which style yet. He is sending me some baffles to try out just in case I need/want them. All of the above at no charge. He seems to be genuinely interested in happy customers. His response was delayed but at this point I feel that he has paid attention to my issues. I will post an update in a few weeks once I get everything installed.

I have 1 week of business travel then 1 week worth of house guests so I won't be getting much done on the bikes.

And Budoka, Wendy's bike remains stock but it wouldn't matter what I did to my Wing or her Harley... her bike always seems to get the attention :confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
"And Budoka, Wendy's bike remains stock but it wouldn't matter what I did to my Wing or her Harley... her bike always seems to get the attention"
I doubt any of us will ever figure out why that might be:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Yeah Donald. Like 'Doka says that my friend is the Cross you must bear.:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts