Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello GW Riders,
As you all may know by now, I’m still looking for a GW. With the help of you all on this great forum I have narrowed it down to the model (ABS), year (2008 to 2010) and color (Red, Yellow or Black). Now I only have one more question…..for today. :D What is the top speed that a GW can do? I’m not a speed demon, but I did ride the HD Ultra Classic for the weekend, and I only could get it to go 90 MPH….down hill. :mad: I just hope this isn’t the case for the GW.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
For what it's worth, talked to an 1800 owner the other day and he takes his to a track around the windy city some where and he claims his wing will do 130 mph. Had my 1500 to 103 in Montana on flat stretch where you could see for miles.(I don't make a habit of that):eek:

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It will out run the HD with the first 3 gears.

It has 118 HP and will do a 1/4 mile in 4.4 seconds. I think top speed is about 130 MPH+

·
Premium Member
414 Posts

It has 118 HP and will do a 1/4 mile in 4.4 seconds. I think top speed is about 130 MPH+
4.4 seconds? I doubt that... That seems entirely too quick for a stock Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
speed

My only run at top speed was 118mph on level ground, no wind, warm day, 5th gear. The bike pulled well all the way to 115 and at 118 it was like an air brake. No faster, period. I rarely cruise over 95 any way.

·
Registered
466 Posts

I am pretty sure this was a typo. An Alcohol funny bike will get those times but not a wing.
I think the wing runs in the high 12's with a rider who knows what he is doing. I have seen a few youtube videos of stock wings on the drag strip and high 12's was the best I have seen.

As far as top speed goes? I personally have had mine to 110 very briefly I think Joe is right with the 130 mph. At 130 you are probably turning over 5500 rpm and even if there was still some power on tap, you are in the danger zone. You may be able to squeeze 135-140 out of it but I sure as hell ain't gonna try it.

Passing my Wife on a long lonely stretch of Texas Highway @ 110 was good enough for me! ( I assure you this was a very safe and controlled maneuver and she knew what I was doing ) I am not a speed demon, I just wanted to kick it up in the higher range of my comfort zone just to see what the power was like up there. I can tell you that @ 110, there was still plenty of power still on tap!

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I run out of nerve before I run out of throttle..... 115 is my best (worst).... Ride safe and do the limit... + a little...

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
4.4 second = 0 to 60 time, joe is just making sure we are paying attention :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 1800 accelerates nicely up to 115mph then it starts to vibrate a bit and will not go past 120. I was a bit dissapointed at first (my RG500 tops 160!) but I find I never go above 90mph on the wing so it is adequate for my riding style but still surprising given that the engine is almost 2 litres in size!!

Gary

·
Registered
691 Posts
My Brother got stopped in Mishigan for riding 127 two up on hes 02 wing. Yes they are both crazy. They would ride for hundreds of miles at 100 mph, which eventually got him.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My observed speed (on the dreamometer) has been 200kph (124mph), but that was not the top speed of the bike. It was the top speed of me on the bike, it was still willing to go faster; I wasn't. My ST I could ride all day at 220 (136 mph) and never feel the speed. The Wing starts to feel real busy after 180 kph (112mph). It takes one hell of a rider to get into the low 12's in the 1/4 mile, but the bike is capable of it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all. Now I know the GW can do over 100 MPH with no problem. This is great info for living in South Cal. On the highway, the posted speed limit is 65 MPH, but you better be moving at 80 MPH if you don't want to be ran over. A motorcycle cop passed me while I was doing 80 MPH in my car. He was at least doing 100 or more. I guess he got a call that the light was on at Krispy Kreme shop.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pushing 135 and going

I have been on many bikes over the years and the goldwing is a sport bike on steroids!!! It will do over 130 easy, not saying it's safe but it doesn't wobble like the harley at 85-90 mph. Imo, it's the best all around bike once you figure out how to balance it properly, but was killed trying it.

Tim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
130, wow!
That's is amazing. I have ridden many of sports bikes and have rode at speeds over 170 MPH, but these bikes were made to ride at that speed very easy. I really am looking forward to get my GW and doing long rode trips, and now I know I have plenty of power to pass a long lines of cars if I need to.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Do 130+ all the time. Bounce off the rev limiter all day long. The Wing just takes it day in day out. Took to the track (Buttonwillow) and will do 140+ on the speedo on the long straight (Dragstrip). The Wing was made to last which is why the engine is so conservatively tuned. I suppose I should ride my sport bike more often, but after getting the Wing, it just collects dust until track day.

Reactions: dwade

·
Registered
40 Posts
95 se

had it up to 115 :eek:and thats to fast fro me. Not sure of top speed. I really dont like to go much faster than 65 to 70. I'll run 80 sometimes.:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agree

I am pretty sure this was a typo. An Alcohol funny bike will get those times but not a wing.
I think the wing runs in the high 12's with a rider who knows what he is doing. I have seen a few youtube videos of stock wings on the drag strip and high 12's was the best I have seen.

As far as top speed goes? I personally have had mine to 110 very briefly I think Joe is right with the 130 mph. At 130 you are probably turning over 5500 rpm and even if there was still some power on tap, you are in the danger zone. You may be able to squeeze 135-140 out of it but I sure as hell ain't gonna try it.

Passing my Wife on a long lonely stretch of Texas Highway @ 110 was good enough for me! ( I assure you this was a very safe and controlled maneuver and she knew what I was doing ) I am not a speed demon, I just wanted to kick it up in the higher range of my comfort zone just to see what the power was like up there. I can tell you that @ 110, there was still plenty of power still on tap!
I dont' make a habit of pushing the speed, but a few times I got a wild hair and turned the throttle to see what it would do (on the big slab straights with little or no traffic).

I've had it over 100 three times, once to 111 (accounting for speedo error of 4%, that's still almost 107 MPH true). And yes, there was trottle left when I got there. Wow!

I don't know what it will do in the quarter, but I do know I've been surprised to be going 60 in second gear on a jack-rabbit start. I don't recommend it, but it happens.

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
466 Posts
Ya know, this topic brings another question to my mind.
What is the max RPM you have ran your 1800?
My self, a few times I have ran thru the gears up to 5k but have never gotten to 5th doing it. I don't know how fast I was going or anything else, I was too busy keeping my eyes on the 500 things going on around me.
But it seems to be a little hard to get past 5200 or so, just kinda stalls there and you feel the urge to shift.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here are some stats for a 2001 Wing from the web. Don't know if later models are any different?

PERFORMANCE:
103 rear wheel HP at 5,600 RPM
109.9 pounds-ft of torque at 4,300 RPM
1/4 Mile, 12.34s @ 105.84MPH
0 to 60 MPH, 4.14 seconds.
0 to 30 MPH, 1.22 seconds.
Top gear roll on, 40 to 60 MPH, 4.59 seconds.
60 to 80 MPH, 5.42 seconds.
Braking, 60 MPH to 0 with ABS, 149.4 ft.
Braking, 60 MPH to 0 without ABS, 143.5 ft.
Braking, 30 MPH to 0 with ABS, 30.6 ft.
Braking, 30 MPH to 0 without ABS, 31.4 ft.
Weight as tested - 898 LBS

Sorry, no top speed posted on this web site, but other sites claim 135MPH is top speed. Wonder why the 60 to 0 without ABS is less? Maybe a typo?

Rob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts