Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 84 interstate runs gr8 untill I hit fifth gear then it just sits there. My buddie has a 89 1500 and he runs into the same wall in fifth gear. Is there some kind of thing done to these bikes so they dont pull in fifth gear? I`m talking right between 95 and 100mph they run out of pulling power. Is this a thing that all wings experience? Input would really be appreciated. My buddie and my have been tryin to figure this one out. Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
5 th. gear is overdrive, since they don't have a 6th gear, how much pull do you expect anything to have once it hits 100 MPH, maybe you should get a suzuki hayabusa.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I'm with Joe on this one. I'm not no one to shy away from speed, but at 100 mph you are about at the safty max of your bike. Understand that when it was built it was probably state-of-the-art for crusing, but I don't believe it was designed to successfully handle all road conditions at that speed. Just where is it that you feel the need to go 100 mph? Interstate? backroads? Your answer might help to unerstand your need for speed.. Take care and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Silly me, I thought the Autobahn was in Europe.....:confused::confused:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Also consider the amount of wind resistance on a Wing at those speeds.I have to ask as well,what's the hurry? Or is it just a curiosity?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have had my '08 up to around 125 a couple of times but only for 2 or 3 seconds then I let off. But, it feels like it has a little left. I have had a couple in my local chapter tell me they have been above 130. This is bike indicated speed not GPS.

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I was asked this weekend how fast the Wing would go. Had my Yamaha up to 120 down on the coast, just to see what I was willing to do. The bike had more rpm's but I wasn't willing, it was smooth but everything was a blur. Haven't found a smooth enough stretch of road around here to try out the Wing. Just curious to see what others have experienced.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I won't say HOW and I won't say WHEN, but sufice to say 110 is my limit, but not the bikes..

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I had my '84 up to 180kph (118mph) and it was still climbing when I backed out of it. The 1500 was faster yet; I shut it down at 190kph. I saw 200k on the dreamometer with 1800 yesterday and it was still game for more when my knees went to water. I certainly don't recommend sustaining these type of hyper-speeds on anything, but it's there if you are that much of an adrenaline/speed junkie. No amount of kevlar re-enforced gear is gonna save your hide at that speed. Something that surprised me though is the sensation of very high speed I experienced on the Wing vs. my ST1300. You could ride that thing at 200kph all day long and not feel the speed like you do on the Wing. the GL doesn't transmit the speed rush until you approach the 160k (100mph) zone and then whamo it's there like gangbusters. It never looses it's composure, but dang, it just FEELS fast once you're there.:eek:

·
Registered
691 Posts
My brother was clocked on radar at 127 mph on his 02. (2 up) But then he builds race engins and even his lawn mower suffers from his modifications. I on the other hand like to keep it under 80.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Top Speed

Once I had my 04, 1800cc Wing to 118. It pulled to 110 in 5th (impressive) and at 118 was wrung out. It was like a giant hand on the front cowl stopping forward progress. Hey its fast enough. I freeway cruise at 85 - 90 indicated and the Honda speedo is about 5% fast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have never taken mine over 90MPH so I went and tried it just to see.. I have an 03 and was very dissapointed to find that once I got over 100MPH there was a lot of mechanical vibration and the acceleration slowed quite significantly. I took it up to 115mph and it was still accelerating (all be it fairly slowly) but I had not expected all the vibration!! It was definately mechanical from engine/gearbox and not wheels/tires that needed balancing.. Very dissapointing as I had expected the bike to be very smooth and just run out of power. I never ride at that speed (I have sports bikes when I feel the need for speed) but had expected much more from my wing!!

Gary

1 - 15 of 15 Posts