Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you are wondering "what tools do I need", here is a list compiled by many here at GWOF. Posting it simply as "toolbox" to make it easy to recover later. Hope it helps.

Many have contributed to this list.
Review the list below and select what you can use or think you need.
Feel free to add on other items you feel I missed.

What tools you need vary by a large degree.

Variables
Your skills
Whether you are close to home or far away
If you are in an unfamiliar area or lost
Limited space if on a long trip
A break down (common or rare) in your past
Whether you live near or far from a dealer or repair shop
ALL affect what an individual would consider "important".

The Basics:
a small flashlight
a good tire gauge (I use a digital one)
multiple tipped screwdriver with blades and phillips
plastic cable ties
needle nose pliers
tire repair kit
small air compressor with extension (slime makes a real good, small one)
8, 10 , 12 and long 17 mm socket with driver (covers most cosmetics, seat and spark plugs
make sure your spare fuses are good
owner's manual

The Master Mechanic:
voltage meter
electrical wire
wire strippers
metric allen wrench pack
metric socket set
duct tape
electrical tape
contact cleaner
first aid kit
gold book if you have one
Part # OMRON 68M5-H30 12volt 20amp (common relay)
multi tool (like a leatherman) can replace a number of these tools
AMA or AAA roadside assistance
Honda makes a compact kit (find one on Ebay or forums for sale)

The Pioneer
water
food
an extra spark plug
battery
jumper cables
oil
8-17mm spanner wrench set
sun screen
bug spray
shifter

My plan is to have what I consider the basics for me and keep them in the bike.
I am now fixing a small bag which will have the extras for when I plan longer trips. This will be easy to grab without having to think
about it over and over.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thanks for the info :)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nicely done L2R.

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I am not going to list everything but just add what I always carry to your list: Wire cutters,1 spark plug, 1 shifter, opened ring spanners 8mm-17mm, spare wire, jump cable,500mls oil,bug spray, sun screen. We all like photos, right. So this what I carry without going into the bush

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
For the tool bag check out the wife's old purses, not the big over the shoulder ones, but the small clutch type. Wish I could post pictures, the one I have is real slick.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
This is where it is carried on the bike. When I go into remote outback you need water for a day and I don't like being hungry. When riding to the west the nearest bike dealer maybe 500 miles away.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Nice job, but I'm still taking cable ties along.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tho't the cable ties was a great idea too but it got lost between jumping back and forth on the screen. And Eric, this is exactly why we need you. Not only did I forget the wire strippers but your views are unlike most of ours. Like you pointed out, you might be 500 miles from help and that changes ones mindset. I will update tonight. In the end, I wanted the first post to be easily reviewed by new readers without having to read pages of threads. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Gee you forgot the kitchen sink and a porta potty for the wifeys!!where are we gonna put that ????? HEHEHE!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric, you said 1 shifter. Are you talking about an extra toe shifter to change gears or something else?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee you forgot the kitchen sink and a porta potty for the wifeys!!where are we gonna put that ????? HEHEHE!!!!
Good morning Ray,

That is why I said you have to pick and choose.

It might be easier to bolt up the big toolbox and retrofit it with a hitch and highway tires. LOL.

I started to add KY because sure as the world someone will write back and tell me I left off the one thing they needed and I left it off.
Take care, got get it in gear and get to work.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hi Tim,
Is that Tim the tool man Taylor!!!! Well based on my limited knowledge on repairing my ride it is good to see what I might need over and above the basics that I carry now. The first aid kit is a good one that I could have used last year after a cager ran me off the road! Bled all over my ride till I could get wrapped up!!! Any way good job my friend!!

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
Love2ride:The shifter is the tool in the 3rd photo next to the pointy nosed plies. I don't know what you guys call it. I will give it another go. You may call it an adjustable wrench. I would use it to hold the head of a bolt while tightening the nut. The other thing that I think is that if you carry the tools even if you have limited knowledge you may get someone comes along that has the knowledge and if you have the tools you are in business. If I can relate an incedent that happened about 2 years ago. I come across a car with the hood up and an old man standing next to his car and I ask if I could help him. And he said he had a broken fan belt, but didn't know how to replace it. He had a new belt and basic tools and within 30mins I had it fix and he was on his way. I was impressed because at least he had everthing that he needed. And yes there would be plenty of Aussie with just a phone and money and they may think they are prepared.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eric, great news, I learned a new word.
Most commonly called an adjustable wrench but there are still some around that call it a cresent wrench. I don't know if it was the shape or name brand but I got it now.

Catch you in the traps.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tool Box Items

Great list of tools, even when one can't repair their own bike, a good samaritan who knows repairs can use your tools to help out. That's me, always hoping a good mechanic will show up when things go south!

I travel with the Slime compressor kit; however, I also carry a Tubeless Tire Repair Kit just in case a nail wants to ruin my day:)

So, I would suggest a Tubeless Tire Repair Kit be added to any tool kit.

Around town I only carry the Wing's standard tool kit, when I go on the road, the expanded tool kit travels with. :) When it comes to having a Motorcycle towed, I subscribe to the AAA Recreational Vehicle Policy. This policy covers vehicles, campers, boats and Motorcycles. Towing distances can be up to 200 miles.
As a standby, my GEICO lizzard also offers a towing policy for cheap. When it comes to needing a tow the only thing I hope for is "Cell Phone" Service!! :)

Have a Great Day All,
T-Rex

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
You never know who is going to stop to help. Some years ago I was riding with my daughter in Victoria when her bike stopped in a town. I had spun around and got back to her and at the same time that I pulled up a young man pulled up behind us. I was just in the process of getting the tools out and he said it's alright mate I am the motorcycle and I work just down the road. Now it mate have helped that my daughter is a pretty red head but he was not really interest in that I was ready to find out what was wrong and he was going to usr his tools. It was found that the filter in the petcock was blocked. Within a few minutes we were away again we were happy and I think he was just as happy. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
reading the list oftools i see 8, 10, 12, and 17mm sockets but no 14mm ( i carry that one too ), electrical tape, spare fuses, a 30a waterproof fuse holder with a fuse in it ( someone with a dogbone fuse may need it ) and for me some tylanol

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
reading the list oftools i see 8, 10, 12, and 17mm sockets but no 14mm ( i carry that one too ), electrical tape, spare fuses, a 30a waterproof fuse holder with a fuse in it ( someone with a dogbone fuse may need it ) and for me some tylanol
Hey Dr. where ya been and thanks for sharing. Is there something specific used by the 14 or is it to fill in the gap?

I realized my knowledge is limited to 1500s and wondered what would be different on other bikes.

I know the 12 takes off my seat and gives access to relays, wires and wiring harnessessssssssssss.

no doubt murphy's law will bite me and if in need will desperately need a 7mm. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts