Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have a GL tool box. How important are they? I have always carried tools in my car but have never used them on the road. Don't want extra weight and cost if you have never used them either.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey Digger,

I kept track of tools required to take all the tupperware off. (fairing, saddlebags,trunk etc.) and bottom line is not many are needed. A #2 phillips, 8 and 10mm 1/4 drive socket and driver and whatever is needed for the seat (12 of 13 I can't remember). That gets you to anything thing mechanical like radiator, gas tank etc and exposes the wiring.

As I read your question, I do have a toolbox that came with it but in reality, what would YOU consider doing on the side of road vs. calling for a tow.

What I would carry all the time:
extra headlight bulb
fuses should already be on bike
tire repair kit
#2 phillips
8mm
10mm
wire cutters/strippers
I also have a slime compressor (very small) cost about 12 bucks

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I have the tool set that comes with the Wing in the plastic box. Fuses are hidden under the cover.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Although I probably don't need it all, I carry 1 set of 3/8 drive metric sockets, one 2 inch extension,a short 2/8 ratchet, and one set of metric combo open end box up to 15mm, one combo tip screw driver that stores the bits in the handle, and a small from Radio Shack digital Volt/ohm meter. The sockets are on one of those bars with the3/8 posts to hold the sockets.
I carry all this in a small clutch purse my wife was going to throw away. It has three pockets It is just barely long enough to get the ratchet in and the longest open end box wrench. in the center pocket I have the ratchet and sockets, in one outside pocket I have the open end box wrenches in the other the screw driver a roll of electrical tape, and the voltmeter. the whole thing measure about
6"x4"x4". I also keep the oil filter wrench in the bottom of the left saddle bag. I've change oil on the road on extended trips. Kind of anal I know, but that's me.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
GD, Although I have the factory tool set & Honda makes the best Motorcycles, the tools are the quality of Harbor Freight or less. I would not worry about buying one, they are costly even on Ebay. If you get an old style zippered bank pouch you can put together a small kit that will take up very little room (especially if you need it). As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
I carry the Honda one and another with some other misc stuff just in case something comes loose. Of coures there is always duct tape too....

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The tool kit that came with the 1500 was a nice tool kit and would probably take care of just about any minor repair you would have to do on the road.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've hardly ever used my tools for the bike, but lots around camp or on the tent trailer and stuff. Stock set, supplimented with a small ratchet and misc sockets, vise-grip and electrical tape in a separate zipper pouch. Use the stock pouch for my pocket air guage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you look closer at them, there is a set that you can make a bbq rig while waiting for a tow and few others to bang your head with it if it's raining.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts