Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I promised my son Id take him on a day trip somewhere. we decided to go kayaking on lake jocassee at the base of the blue ridge mountains in the very north west tip of South Carolina. I was a little concerned as im still having pain issues with my knee and my riding postions.

turned out to be a great trip in general. keeping in mind, it turned out to be 105 degrees. I put a cushion under my butt to raise me and scooted as far back as I could. this did help quite a bit. I also had been to the chiropractor, got cracked and been doing my exercises. I still got pretty sore, but was waaaay better than the simple hour ride to work I had been doing. so there is hope. I got a aftermarket seat coming that I will uncover, customize and recover myself. I am also tinkering with some floor board ideas. I have to get my legs from underneath. and the stock seat is simply to wide for me. but Im getting there.

so the ride, and I cant believe I didnt take mileage either way. in the morning stupid, in the afternoon going home it was cuz I as aggrevated and tired. My 11 year old son loves to ride with me, I told him, its gonna be a bit warm coming home. maybe we tinker around till the sun is going down and cools to about 85 or 90. I broke the morning ride into an hour, then breakfast, 1:20, stop unnecessarily for gas, but the store had a rocking chairs and stuff in the shade so we relaxed. another 45 minutes and we were there. the kayak place was a bit of an unorganized mess. we were there 45 min later than planned. there was no more parking at the park, so they told us they would take us down to the lake while bringing the kayak. we had plenty of water, and protien snacks, sun screen and all that. the day went beautifully. we were sitting on an island taking a break and my son says, man, it feels like we have been out all weekend and its only 2pm. now thats saying something. we talked about why that was a bit. and then headed back. for some reason, after all that day, the last half hour was brutal to get back. both out of gas, couldnt get the kayak moving fast enough to make decent headway. by the time we landed it was all we could do to get our of the boat lol. so I call the place....voice message. i text....no response. we wait half an hour exhausted. the place is like 3/4 mile. we decide to walk it, leaving their kayak, which is ok with them anyway. we get back to the center and I bitch out the clerk. they say the wrong number is on the equipment. that helped me tons I say. so its still 105 at about 5pm or so. I drop the bike in the gravel getting ready to go. great. no damage, me and kid get it up pretty easy. we get on our way. but it was still pretty hot. we had to make more frequent stops to cool down. Josh, my son, was about at the brink a few times I think, but just manning up. what a trooper. also, I had forgot that being that hot, I would need long pants. didnt have em, that didnt help. we got home about 9pm,,,complete done. plans were to stop for dinner at a steak house on the rive, but he was so wore, and drank so much water, he was cramping and couldnt eat.

the bike ran great. i found that even between 55 and 65 mph, I like to leave it in fourth gear. thats about 3200 to 3400rpm for me. the bike is more responsive and smoother. the od at 55 drags down to much for my liking. I was a little apprehensive on some tight corners as I havent built my confidence up so almost went to wide a few times even at decent lower speeds. but I got pissed at myself and just started to do what I know I can. got better. I did hear kind of a low howling noise at time. I think the back tire may be cupped. when I bought the bike the tires were a bit low, and so were the shocks, so maybe thats why. or I need to recheck the final drive oil. also, I dropped the bike moving it in gravel cuz for some reason the reverse didnt work. dont know why, it has everytime till now. I was so tired and hot, maybe just didnt do something right. not sure.

so my son says, Im glad we went, I wouldnt change going, but the end of the day was a little much for me,,,lol. what doesnt kill you makes you stronger....or it just kills and didnt matter. anyone. overall great trip.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Bob glad all in all it was a good trip. Hope there are more & next time you have some pictures.:D

By the way I moved your thread to the recent rides forum.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Time with the son is really important enjoy them while you can.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
The howling might just be tires, especially if you're running Dunlop E3s.

·
Registered
674 Posts
What a cool adventure to take with your son. Even with the hick ups.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Here Bob let the Aussie help you out.:D The year is now 2022. Dad do you remember the trip where we ............ Sometimes the thing that go wrong are the things you laugh at in the future. It doesn't make it any easier at the time. And don't tell me this is a couple of months:eek: if something goes belly up. :D:D
Eric

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here Bob let the Aussie help you out.:D The year is now 2022. Dad do you remember the trip where we ............ Sometimes the thing that go wrong are the things you laugh at in the future. It doesn't make it any easier at the time. And don't tell me this is a couple of months:eek: if something goes belly up. :D:D
Eric
Totally agree. he already said, so for the next trip to go white water rafting, maybe we should stretch the ride into two days at least so we can rest, and maybe eat prior to leaving that way not so wore out, able to eat and then not get so tired. out of the mouth of babes lol. we are planning another 2-3hour one way ride to do a smaller river where you rent two man inflatable kayaks to go down a river. I did that a long time ago, lots of fun. so that is the next bike trip, just dont have a date set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts