Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 2009 GL1800 in February. At first I was feeling pretty cramped up and generally not at home on the bike. I am also 6'6" tall. I did a few things like ****-O-Pegs, foam grips, and a Hartco seat to adjust the bike for me. Things were better, but still felt a bit not at home. Then at some point I can't pinpoint the bike started feeling like it was MY bike. I am much more at home now. I wasn't sure it would happen, but I am very glad that the adaptation period is over. The wing now feels like part of me. Slinging it into corners, I am feeling where the center of gravity is (if that makes any sense- hard to explain). Just thought I would share my experience in case someone is going through the adaptation period. The wing is one fine bike. I am really enjoying riding every chance I get.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
I understand what your saying, a Goldwing isn't a bike you just get on and ride, you have to get used to the bike and the way it handles. When I first got my 1500 it took a few rides to learn the bike, but after your "break in period" it becomes and extention of yourself. I ride every chance I get and the weather permitting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I went from a GL1200A to my 1800. Like you, I felt a little cramped compared to my 1200 with floorboards and 90,000 miles. It didn't take long to get used to the 1800 and now I can't imagine riding anything else. I rode the 1200 afterwards to bring it to a swap meet where I sold it. I was surprised by how loose and squirrelly the old girl felt!

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Glad you guys are enjoying your bikes ! I felt right at home on mine when i handed the guy my cash money , although i had an empty feeling in the area of my right buttock ! lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
I came from a Electra Glide and it took many miles to finally get comfortable on my Wing. No looking back now because I love my Wing.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
I went from a Suzuki Burgman 400cc Maxi Scooter to a 1985 GL 1200 LTD back in December 2011. I was way out of my comfort zone on this 800 pound beast of a bike coming off one half it's weight. I immediately put the 1200 back on EBay for sale as I didn't think I could comfortably handle that much bike. A friend of mine who rides an 1800 convinced me to put some hours in the saddle as he said that it might take a few weeks to get comfortable with it. He was right as I rode the bike several thousand miles in 2 months and moved up to a 1500 in February 2012. Having ridden the 1200 for a few months, I found the 1500 very easy to transition to and right from the very beginning it was comfortable and easy for me to operate. The Goldwing is a big bike and can be a handful for the uninitiated as it is clearly not a beginners bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me too

Thanks guys for the information. I too was feeling overwhelmed by the size and power of my 2005 GL1800 'Wing. After riding my Shadow for twelve years,I traded it (1998 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750) for the newer bike. After just a few rides around town and limited highway miles, I was starting to think that this bike was just too much for me. Slowly I'm starting to get a feel for it. Nice to know that others had the same feelings when starting out on a Goldwing. I've had it just over a month now and am no longer afraid to get on her and go for a spin. I'm now sure that in time I'll get over the love/hate (and yes - even some fear) relationship I'm now experiencing. Until I get used to the power and different handling characteristics, I'm taking it VERY easy. I'm brand new to this forum and your information and thoughts helped me already. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Thanks guys for the information. I too was feeling overwhelmed by the size and power of my 2005 GL1800 'Wing. After riding my Shadow for twelve years,I traded it (1998 Honda Shadow A.C.E. 750) for the newer bike. After just a few rides around town and limited highway miles, I was starting to think that this bike was just too much for me. Slowly I'm starting to get a feel for it. Nice to know that others had the same feelings when starting out on a Goldwing. I've had it just over a month now and am no longer afraid to get on her and go for a spin. I'm now sure that in time I'll get over the love/hate (and yes - even some fear) relationship I'm now experiencing. Until I get used to the power and different handling characteristics, I'm taking it VERY easy. I'm brand new to this forum and your information and thoughts helped me already. Thanks again.
These bikes really grow on you. When I rode my 1200 I was nervous riding in traffic in town and smoothly braking to a stop and handling it at low speeds like pulling into gas stations. I rode it like a little old lady and felt like the slowest guy on the road in the beginning. Now I'm a regular hooligan, pulling wheelies, doing burn outs and racing crotch rockets. No, not really but I did ride my bike down the road today a long ways at 70 mph drinking a bottle of water with no hands on the handle bars. I frequently ride one handed and can ride through curves one handed too. My comfort level on my 1500 is really rising quickly. I've got nearly 5000 miles on my new 1500 in 2 months. It's all about time in the saddle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am a real beginner because I passed my bike test in October last, I never really had any experience riding a bike before then.
I was very afraid of taking my GL1500 out in case I dropped her but i kept pushing myself to keep taking her out to practice. I concentrated on difficult manoeuvres tight turns, hill starts, smooth starts & heavy braking. Now 6 months on I'm still learning but feel my confidence is growing with each ride, I'm even finding excuses to give to my wife so I can go out on the Wing. In short I love my Wing & I wish I had done it years ago!
It is comforting to know that even experienced riders such as yourselves have some of the same problems & feeling as me. Ride safe

·
Registered
749 Posts
My first experience riding my wing home from the dealer was intimidating not because of the ride or handling, it was due to all of the switches and buttons and gadgets.
I now feel right at home on it as I have become more familiar with my Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First, welcome tothe forum from Pennsylvania. Glad you found us. In time, with practice, the Wing will grow on you and you will really enjoy throwing a leg over the seat and riding for hours in comfort. There are some of our lady riders who handle a Wing very well, so don't let the size scare you.

Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts