Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been meaning to get back to where I grew up. It's amazing how the place has change and not for the better. Now I know why I moved out.

This is the one room school house that my mom received a solid 8th grade education just prior to getting married at 14.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1406671389.684843.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was the corner store where folks would sit out and chew the fat. I would ride my bicycle there at least twice a week to get a Mountain Dew. As a teen they had a pool hall where I lost most of my money. ImageUploadedByMO Free1406671802.495990.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This was our Community Center. It's where my Dad would spend all day Saturday playing dominoes. It's also where I cast my first vote. George Bush Sr. over Michael Dukakis. That was a big move in a hard core Democratic area. Dad didn't speak to me for 2 weeks ImageUploadedByMO Free1406672433.042577.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was an Auction that my Uncle ran for 60 years. I was an antique auctioneer there for 20 years. If you could work for my Uncle, you could for anyone. He was never happy with his workers. It's really sad to see it in such condition. Every Saturday night of my life, Nixon's Chapel Auction was the place to be.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1406674391.318371.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
5,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
This was our Community Center. It's where my Dad would spend all day Saturday playing dominoes. It's also where I cast my first vote. George Bush Sr. over Michael Dukakis. That was a big move in a hard core Democratic area. Dad didn't speak to me for 2 weeks View attachment 89409

I lived down the hill from there for years on the east side of the creek first house on the left past the bridge going toward Horton. Do you remember the peach orchard? I lived at the orchard.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,587 Posts
I think it's just so awesome that there is an ST in front of all those places! That's so cool

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
679 Posts
Some Good Memories -

Hey Efinref, Great pictures and nice looking bike. I know of others, including myself who have made the trip back to visit the old home place in the back woods of East Texas with mixed emotions. For me personally, I must admit that it stirred up a wide variety of feelings and some great memories of being a kid growing up in small town America. For most of us country kids :) that life would be almost impossible for youngsters to duplicate now-a-days. The dope and gangs have changed everything -

Many years ago when I rode down to a small fishing town south of Houma, La with a friend to visit his boyhood home it was like stepping back in time. Every dock was busy with all kind of shrimp boats going and coming from sun up to sun down. About 4 years back I swung down that direction to revisit the area on my way to celebrate Mardi-Gras and couldn't even locate the place. All I could find were deserted homes and buildings. I guess some memories are just better left alone. What was that old Beatles song - The Long and Winding Road....

Ride careful, Michael

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I lived down the hill from there for years on the east side of the creek first house on the left past the bridge going toward Horton. Do you remember the peach orchard? I lived at the orchard.
Holy cow...The Peach orchard. I sure do....My mom was friends with the folks that lived there when I was a kid. Can't recall the name. Use to love going through the orchard.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Efinref, Great pictures and nice looking bike. I know of others, including myself who have made the trip back to visit the old home place in the back woods of East Texas with mixed emotions. For me personally, I must admit that it stirred up a wide variety of feelings and some great memories of being a kid growing up in small town America. For most of us country kids :) that life would be almost impossible for youngsters to duplicate now-a-days. The dope and gangs have changed everything -

Many years ago when I rode down to a small fishing town south of Houma, La with a friend to visit his boyhood home it was like stepping back in time. Every dock was busy with all kind of shrimp boats going and coming from sun up to sun down. About 4 years back I swung down that direction to revisit the area on my way to celebrate Mardi-Gras and couldn't even locate the place. All I could find were deserted homes and buildings. I guess some memories are just better left alone. What was that old Beatles song - The Long and Winding Road....

Ride careful, Michael
You may be right....It was kinda sad to see what I remembered as a tight nit, bustling little community to what it is now. Those places will not be repaired and haven't been used in years.

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next door to Holders Auction! Down that road 1/2 mile is where I lived.
Then you saw Holder's Auction in Number 4. That was my Uncle Bill....

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
This was an Auction that my Uncle ran for 60 years. I was an antique auctioneer there for 20 years. If you could work for my Uncle, you could for anyone. He was never happy with his workers. It's really sad to see it in such condition. Every Saturday night of my life, Nixon's Chapel Auction was the place to be.
View attachment 89417

Attended auctions there frequently! Bill was a cantankerous cuss....hahaha!

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
Small world ain't it guys!

·
Premium Member
7,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 31 Posts