Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 70 yrs.old & have back problems. I have not rode in 35 yrs., however I am thinking I would like to ride again.

What do you think ......is there a age limit on riding?

I am thinking a older 4 cylinder model Goldwing would make make sense to me. I would appeciate what year(s) you would
recommend. I see some advertized in the $1900 to $3500 area.
Can I get a decent Goldwing for that?

I live in the Orlando, FL area(St Cloud) & do not know any Goldwing owners.

Don Meyer

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have a friend who is going on 71 and still rides although a VTX 1300. But, he is looking for a goldwing. I would bet that most of the wing riders your age (and there are a lot of them) have some degree of back problems. You may be able to find one in that range but it may be a 1100 or 1200. YOu should also be prepared to be able to do at least some work on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
AGE LIMIT?!?!
Remember:
You don't get old and then stop riding, You stop riding then get old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Guys , Where do I go to find out what to look out for when buying a Gold wing Also what are the differences between the 4 cyl models.

I have MIG & TIG welders & a paint booth. I can do minor mech work.

Thanks Don(Orland,FL)

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF don. i got my '84 aspencade two years ago for $ 2500 with just over 40,000 miles on it. the main thing to check is the stator. where the stator connector is ( behind the left side cover ) check to see if its melted. if the stator has or has not been changed cut out the connector and solder the three wires back together to eleminate the weak spot. all three wires are yellow and it doesn't matter which wire is soldered to which

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
seat ht.

Sorry, I have another dumb question. I have a hard time swinging my rt. leg over the seat due to a bad back(2 operations). Can the seat be lowered?

Thanks Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don, you may want to look at a newer GW. My dad was in an acident with his GW a few years ago. Some idiot rear ended him. At age 76 he was not able to pick the bike up off the ground. He also has a basd back, and is all hunched over. He bought a 2005 GW and said it was like a different bike. He said when he comes to a stop, it is so well balanced that he almost doesn't have to put his feet down.
I just bought, (actually my wife boughtr for me!) a 1985 GW Limited Edition. I LOVE the fuel injection! If we got a carbuerated GW I was going to fuel inject it myself. We paid $3,700 for it with 60,612 miles on it. In the first 3 weeks I had it I put 900+ miles on it. That is about normal for me, as a bike is my main transportation. (and I live in Detroit!). Bike first, hot rod second, and mini van when the weather is bad.
So far as the cost of stators goes, go to http://www.usedgoldwingparts.com/stators.html and they run from $140 to $160
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tom, I have heard that the newer models are easier to handle, however I do not have the money to buy one since we lost most of are money due to the ecomomy.

The one I buy will have to be a early one(1100 or 1200). I do not know if there is a differece between them in ease of riding & holding them up at stop.

Perhaps some one will step forward with that info.

What type of hot rod do you have....I have a 48 GMC truck streetrod & a Rolls that I am converting to chevy drive train.

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Greetings Don!
I just bought, (actually wife bought for me!), a 1985 Limited Edition GW. It is a 1200 and is very easy to hold up. When I go to the ATM I do not put the kick stand down, I just let the bike balance under me, even when I have to stand to dig into my pocket for my wallet.
Putting the bike on the center stand is not too bad. I stand on the center stand and just have to give a little extra lift with one hand. Bear in mind that I am 51, 6'5" and 275 lbs. You may have a little more trouble. Getting the bike OFF the center stand is another story! It aint easy! My front walk has only a VERY slight sland to it, and I have to back in or I play hell getting the bike off the stand. Gas mileage is pretty good at around 45+ @ 70 MPH and around 35+ for my combine highway and city driving. These are actually conserative numbers, I expect the exact numbers to be slightly better. I have only put just over 1,000 miles on it, and for me that is not enough data for solid numbers.
Now, so far as my hot rod goes, it is a 62 Corvair with full computer engine management. You can see it at http://www.absolutetops.com/Corvair/Corvair_Frames.htm You can check out my "other" bike, (750 Honda) at http://www.absolutetops.com/750Four/bike.htm
I know what you mean about not being able to afford a new GW. Wish I could, but I am VERY happy with the gift from my lovely wife! Sort of makes it even better than a new one, just because it is from her.
Feel free to contact me anytime. Hope you find the bike that is just right for you.
Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Tom, We have several common interests, I also have a 64 Corvair vert with 46.00 miles.

Thanks again

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think that it's great that at the ripe young age of 70 you're still wanting to ride. There's no age limit. You're as you or as old ad you feel. I'll be riding till they shovel dirt on me. Ride on...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Never!! MY Dad is 74 and hasn't ridden for 50 years before getting a Goldwing!
Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts