Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have an enclosed garage (converted it to a recording studio). So that leaves me using a speedway fold up shelter to protect my wing. The boss would like me to keep the bike in the back yard instead of in front of the house (tent and all). I have widened my fence gate to make this happen. But in my first ride into the back yard, I realized that I would have to use reverse every time the bike comes or goes. I don't want to overuse or wear out the reverse. I doubt it was designed for everyday use. Or am I being too concerned about how robust the reverse system is. I imagine it's not cheap to repair. Any experience or thoughts on this before I ban my wing to the back yard?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you are using the starter motor to reverse. I too, would worry about using it too much.
Since it's your wife's request to keep it in the back, maybe she wouldn't mind giving you a push backward. It's worth a shot.

Michaelj

·
Registered
751 Posts
The starter is Used for reverse using it daily is fine . But if you have a long run in reverse, it may overheat the starter. You could make the wife push you back everytime LOL.

·
Administrator
25,901 Posts
Good points made on this so far. Yes the reverse is driven by the starter motor and like mentioned too long a usage of it continuous will cause damage frm heat and wear. 15-20 seconds on level ground a couple times a dau is no issue, but uphill for a minute or two, well. Remember a GL weighs 900 lbs, plus the rider. That's a significant load for a starter motor; use it sparingly (sensibly) and you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Get a couple wheel rollers and you can pull in, drive on the rollers and just spin it around and drive it out.:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I hate to be right sometimes. It's moving through grass and having to go somewhat uphill ten feet or so to leave the shelter. We had considered pouring a slab. May need to make it a fairly large one to make things work.

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
Thanks guys. I hate to be right sometimes. It's moving through grass and having to go somewhat uphill ten feet or so to leave the shelter. We had considered pouring a slab. May need to make it a fairly large one to make things work.
Or make a turn table like for a train as a wood deck the could rotate either manually or with electric motor. There's also a motorcycle dolly made to do that too provided you have a hard surface to turn the bike around.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
How about buying a 12v winch from Harbor Freight for about $50 and if you have a trailer hitch on the bike, just winch it back into its new home. If no hitch, hook it to the crash bars in front or rear and winch it in. The winches are rated for about 2000 lbs pull. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Reverse auto-cuts off after encountering enough resistance - like backing up a not too steep grade. It's got to be very nearly flat to work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why don't you just back in? :confused:

That way you could just ride it out.
Somewhere, there is the sound of a palm smacking a forehead!
Simple solutions are sometimes the hardest to figure out. Good idea!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
widen your living room door,,,, recliner, a good beer and admire the wing,, LIFE IS GOOD!
In 1976 my wife and I were married for 1 year. We bought a CB750 new. We were living in a 'low priced' townhouse in a 'low' area. I would bring the bike into the house, thru the front door and backed into the dining room/area everynight. We were in So. Calif. and I used the bike daily to go to work and after work, to night collage.
It never got stolen and never got scratch, no kids sitting on it and no cats getting warm from the engine.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have you thought about laying a driveway and small "bikeport" out of paving stones? You can get them in 24x24 and when you decide to move the home of your wing just take them up put down top soil and seed, lawn back. Plus you can get them in textures that make them nonskid. Also costs way less than a concrete pad.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I did this but used 16x16 bricks, I didn't see any 24x24. Make sure you have it level under the bricks and add some sand under the brick so they can settle. I used the type that has the stones in the concrete showing to match my driveway. These get slippery when wet so give that a thought.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I bought mine at Lowe's and made the wife a patio in the backyard, mine look like brick but are concrete and they are 24x24. They have a semi-rough texture and they don't get slippery when wet. Hardest part was leveling the ground to lay the pavers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts