Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I have been looking at a 2008 Gold Wing Premium for Sale with !28,000 miles on it . According to dealer it has been meticulously maintained and has replaced timing belt at around 100,000 miles . Just wondering if this is too many miles ??
I owned a 85 Aspencade about 25 years back with 80,000 on it and it ran great !
Let me know before i take the plunge , Thanks

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't think that is too many miles. I would see if the Dealer was the servicing Dealer the entire life of that bike and see if brake and clutch fluids were changed. I would want to look at the air filter, too.

Reactions: eeddy57

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that is too many miles. I would see if the Dealer was the servicing Dealer the entire life of that bike and see if brake and clutch fluids were changed. I would want to look at the air filter, too.
Thanks Tm .. apparently the dealer has been doing alot of the service on the bike so they say .. I guess my next option is ask if they have the service records .
It is very clean for 2008

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The bike is probably solid still with that many miles on it, but the price you pay should reflect the number of miles on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was surprised , the dealer actually is below blue book value . Probably because business is slow right now due to Covid .
This actually might be a good time to buy !

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
here would be my question.......
honda dropped timing belts after the 1500, the 1800 has chains???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok thanks, I wasn’t aware of this . Salesman said timing belt , maybe he meant timing chain.
Timing chain should last a long time correct ?

·
Super Moderator
11,592 Posts
I would be concerned if it needed a timing chain at that low of mileage.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Where are you from?

I am would not be concerned about it but I'm surprised a dealer is retailing a bike with that mileage.

Your salesman is an IDIOT. Go around this guy. Tell him to get the sales manager and produce all the service records that they have. Timing belts were not changed. Timing chains were probably not changed. Maybe the valve clearances were checked. Ask what they will warranty (nothing is the most likely answer).

If you get a good feeling that it's been well taken of and want it, offer way lower than the asking price. They gave practically nothing in trade for it and this will be a slow mover for them. They insulted you so don't be embarrassed to insult them.

·
Super Moderator
14,342 Posts
I agree with Darkside. Them mentioning timing belt change seems odd. But if everything checks out, miles aren't the issue. That bike has double that left in her.

Reactions: dsurley

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
in the manuals there is no timing chain replacement interval specified

on the 1500s it was 100k miles or 10 years which ever happens first to replace timing belts

I bet they gave less than 2 grand for it in trade, maybe even only 1000

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello.. I have been looking at a 2008 Gold Wing Premium for Sale with !28,000 miles on it . According to dealer it has been meticulously maintained and has replaced timing belt at around 100,000 miles . Just wondering if this is too many miles ??
I owned a 85 Aspencade about 25 years back with 80,000 on it and it ran great !
Let me know before i take the plunge , Thanks
Find someone that knows what they are talking about. This dealer you speak of is blowing smoke up your exhaust pipe. I have a strong suspicion that your dealer's only concern is getting the bike out of his or her store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks , i appreciate all the input . They are for sure trying to push it out the showroom , i am in the midwest and their selling season is short enough w/o the Coronavirus difficulties. Good thing is that they are willing to wheel and deal right now ..Sales guy told me today they do have some maintenance records for it . Probably will buy tomorrow; i will keep everyone posted 👍

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
only pictures proves it happens around here!!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
test ride it, if it runs really really good, for a looong test ride, no hot shifting issues (ghost shifting) in 5th, rattle and rumbles near the left rear of the engine at low idle (ADG), and everything works, no broken wires in the trunk hinges, all lights work, then work your magic on them and bring it home for low money. $4000-6000.

·
Registered
22 Posts
test ride it, if it runs really really good, for a looong test ride, no hot shifting issues (ghost shifting) in 5th, rattle and rumbles near the left rear of the engine at low idle (ADG), and everything works, no broken wires in the trunk hinges, all lights work, then work your magic on them and bring it home for low money. $4000-6000.
Wow, $4 - 6K for a bike with Over 100k miles? That seems WAY high. I just saw a 2007 with 32k miles for $7k,.

Its a very old bike with high miles, at a dealer that may have given $1000 -1500 for trade, I'd offer 2k for it....Maybe as much as $3k.
Lowball them, see what they say. Doesn't hurt to ask.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts