Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomk@GJT

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I"m looking at purchasing a new spec-3 goldwing from Russellville, Ar.
I need some expertize from all of you on what to add and what not to. Also, anything I should be concernd about befor I make the purchase. This is my retirement bike and I want it done right from the starting gate! THANKS MUCH! Any advice at all will be greatly appricated. I live in Western Colorado and would like to ride someday with some of you. I love to pick the brains of those who know!! :)

#2 ·
TK, here's a quick idea. Slow down a bit. If this is your retirement bike then it doesn't have to be done immediately. If you haven't ridden one yet do that 1st to make sure it fits you & your style well. Once that's done make the purchase. As far as the add ons unless your dealer includes some I suggest you do the add ons yourself via the internet & a great place to start is one of our Sponsors -Wingstuff.com Don't misunderstand what I'm saying I don't advocate taking food out of the mouth of your dealer but truth is some dealers don't really care too much for the add on buisness.

Probably the 1st two add ons on most riders list are a Backrest (Utopia seems to be the #1 choice) & highway pegs. Myself I always add items of comfort & function (ie performance). I personally could care less about the Gawdy Chrome & wizbang things but Baskin Robbins started with 31 Flavors also so to each his own. My biggest issue with chrome stuff is some riders will moan& whine about the cost of functional/consumable items but then spend a fortune on some crappy little trim pieces that they have to polish all the time. Make no sense in my book.

Hope this helps & as always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Back rest, Hwy pegs, C/B radio. Then chrome till you can't chrome no more and lights or not, what ever makes you happy.
Myth buster #1
Always have to polish the chrome. No,no,no. Wash it when you wash the bike,wax it when you wax the bike. And ride just like the guys with no Chrome.

#4 ·
hello tom, welcome to GWOF. do add a drivers backrest or a new more comfortable seat that has a drivers backrest. highway pegs or boards ( i like highway boards better ). i like my cup holder and gps / gadget mount also

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum from Pa. There are tons of options and add-ons available for the Wing. Some are for comfort/safety and some for looks. Think about what is most important to you and then choose accordingly. For me comfort and safety items would come first and things that add to the looks or apperance of the bike would be next.

Good luck and ride safe...

#7 ·
Thanks all

I,ve been told that Honda of Russellville, AR is about the best place to buy and since my wife and I are traveling through that area next week, we are going to stop and shop. They seem to have the best deal anywhere. How about their aftermarket price on stuff. I have a fused left ankle and have ordered just a heel shifter that I,m pretty sure is going to work for me from DCCycle. The only add on's I'm planing to add right away is a Heavy Duty Trailler Reciever Hitch, HD Trunk Rack, Back Rest, Passenger Arm Rest/W Cup Holder. I also need some good info on Helmets with good intercome system.
I'm not into the Chrome thing as I am blind in my right eye and don't care for all the Glare in my good eye! No what I mean? Thanks again to all of you!! TGK

#10 ·
I bought an 06 VTX 1300 from the dealer in Russellville and got an excellent price. As far as add ons for the Wing, I agree with the comments on a backrest & highway pegs, arm rests for the passanger, and would also suggest a luggage rack & cup holders.

#11 ·
The only item I would think about adding to your list is a trunk spoiler light. It adds some more lights to the back for visibility.

For intercom I bought a J&M system and installed it into our helmets. Works great.

#12 ·
Shut-up Larry, you're an f-ing idiot!

Here's the way I set mine up in chronological order:
Kuryakin highway boards (6" arms); Tulsa mirror wind deflectors, Kury miniboards w/heel-toe shifter; Hondaline lighted trunk spoiler and Kury trunk rack; J&M dleuxe passenger audio controller mounted rh grab handle; Utopia back rest; Windbender windshield; Kury Transformer passenger boards; Baker lower wind wings (leg); Hondaline LED driving lights; Kury full driver floorboards (replacing the minis).
Still to do and already have: Centramatic ballancers (when new tires go on); Electric adjust control for Windbender shield. CB radio is next consideration just waiting in the wings (pun intended and $$ dependant after holidays this spring:eek:).
Mine is an '09, and she'll turn 3 on April 10 coming. 20,000km (12k miles); not much by some rider's standards where the season is longer, but I'm pleased thus far with the clock.:D There'd be more if I didn't exercise my inner child on that darn crotch rocket!:eek:;):cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.