Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am considering instaling a toe/heal shifter for my 2008 GL1800. I go to work on my bike, and don't like the scuffing it does on my dress shoes. But I have read a lot of reviews that say the toe/heal shifters for the GL1800's are no good. Any thoughts?
thanks,
Big "R"

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have a Kuryakin on mine, and it works fine...most of the time. The toe pedal does stick once in a while on down-shifts, and was real bad for a bit. A call to the help line at Kury and I adjusted the set-up (the composite two piece pinch bushing needs to be alighned with the two halves at exactly 6 and 12 o'clock). My pivot arm is fine, but they can't be too tight or they bind. If the toe sticks on me, a light tap on the rear and it clicks free. I expect it will break in more with time (only have a couple thousand miles on it since install) and the sticking will disappear entirely. I may try a dab of graphite on the pinch joint and see what that does too.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
I personally don't have one but, a lot of guy have them and love them. I know there are discussions on the GL1800 riders forum about Honda giving folks a hard time if they have a transmission problem and they have one installed. The claim is that they add to or cause the transmission to fail. Not all dealers care, but you should check with yours. One way that guys seem to get around it is if they have a problem, they remove the heel/toe shifter from the bike before they take it in to be checked.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
just get the kury peg cover for the kawasaki vulcan classic, about $16.00

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have to give it some real thought. I am going to a motorcycle rally in September, maybe I can wait until then and see some setups up close and what was done to them.
On a different note, now that I am here, does anyone know of some nice headsets that I can use without a helmet? the only ones I have found are by IMC, but the reviews say they are really uncomfortable after about an hour and the noise cancelling option is not great on it. Any suggestions on this?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Without looking like I'm up on a soapbox here, why would you want an ear-set and no helmet? I realize helmets are not mandatory (and yes it's a matter of choice then) but lids actually enhance the performance of the speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand Budoka, but I don't wear a helmet, especially when it is 105 degrees outside. Even if it wasn't hot outside, when we go on short excursions, it would be nice to talk to my wife in the back and not yell or look back to talk. I guess I figure it would be a lot easier and safer that way. And that way also, I could utilize my intercom system which I haven't even used yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts