Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4 hour drive to go see the bike ive posted up in another thread...

96 1500 (SE? GL? Aspencade? dont know) with 55,500 on it and a sidecar asking price of $8000...

im pretty geeked...

all of the bikes ive ever owned were 3rd hand at BEST, my first being 4th hand...

NOT ONE OF THEM has ever had any issues that couldnt be solved with a little TLC type maintenance 'catch-up'. well except for my 900r but i knew what i was getting into when i bought it...

id like to think ive got history, fate, karma, good luck, bon chance, held og lykke, καλή τύχη, โชคดี etc etc etc..

ill definitely be posting up more pics as the news of the day unfolds!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
congrats and good luck! did you get any sleep last night :)

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Go get em Ltdave & good luck. Hope it's everything you want.

Remember to listen for the "Take me home" Song.:)

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Have a safe trip and remember the old saying, " measure twice, cut once". So give it a real good look over before you decide. Hope it is everything you expect.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never had any difficulty sleeping even in the Air Force during high stress situations...

Ill look ar it the best i can. Im not a wingspert so ill have to go on instinct i guess...
_
Thanks for the good wishes. I think if the price is right (EVERYTHING is open to negotiations right?) Il be bringing me home...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Good Luck and Welcome from Central Texas. Never rode in a side car. And I am guessing "Full/Semi Auto". But I never saw one on an M-1.:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am guessing "Full/Semi Auto". But I never saw one on an M-1.
yep and nope. its a winchester (maybe HRA) M-14 that belongs to the United States Border Patrol...

they can check them out as needed/wanted for their patrols although there isnt a lot of NEED up my way...

some of the guys shoot them in HiPo rifle matches but without putting a lot of time and money into accurizing them, its more for fun...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

okay the skinny...

its a 94 not a 96. the owner misspoke/misprinted in his craigslist ad. i dealt with his son or son in law because he couldnt get out of the house. the whole reason for selling was heath issues...

the forks hold air as designed...
the fluids were changed last year and have about 200 miles on them...
the altenator was replaced last year...
the tires are new last year with about 200 miles on them...
the helmet to bike cord doesnt match the jacks on the helmet. previous previous owner must have replaced the headset part but im not going to use the helmet anyway cause its too big. maybe ill get a new half helmet and put a mic on IT...
it has new covers for both the sidecar AND the bike...
the hack has hydraulic brakes and (tail)lights...
the cruise control works...
the radio works...

the windshield has some sort of GUNK (to quote Fletch in the movie Fletch). you can scrape it off with your thumbnail but it still has quite a few really fine scratches in it. its a bit taller than i think i would like as well but i believe it to be down all the way. there are two black lines where it meets the fairing and its at the top line. i dont think it will go any shorter. id LIKE to try more of a 'street glide' (HD) height shield. anyone know where i can get one?

we went on a short ride with my wife on the back and she felt comfortable, i liked it (although with a side car it DEFINITELY is NOT my ZRX, hell WITHOUT the side car its DEFINITELY NOT my ZRX)...

they had $8000.00 in the craigslist ad, $7,800 on the for sale sign and i asked "whats the best you can do on it" he said $7,000 but he could probably go $6,500. i told him if he takes cash, we had a deal at $6,500...

it is now in the parking lot of the hotel were staying at (were about 4 hours from home) and ive got a 3" binder service manual, the owners manual and a 1/4" thick California Sidecars manual to read and digest...

my daughter is going to go nuts when she sees it because of the hack. shes the reason i got a sidecar and my wife is the reason i got a wing. now to figure out how to get the best coin for my 81 maxim 550 (yamaha xj), 82 seca 750 (yamaha xj) and (maybe, ive not decided for certain about this one) my 83 seca 900 (yamaha xj). got to put some money back in the bank now...

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
yep and nope. its a winchester (maybe HRA) M-14 that belongs to the United States Border Patrol...

they can check them out as needed/wanted for their patrols although there isnt a lot of NEED up my way...

some of the guys shoot them in HiPo rifle matches but without putting a lot of time and money into accurizing them, its more for fun...
Yea, now that I take a closer look I see its not the ole trusty M-1. Where the butt end of the breach meets the stock, it looks similar, but the M-1 dosen't have that rear sight set up. Oh, well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad...Hope the ride works out.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually the rear sights are exactly the same. they are interchangeable...

there is a difference with NM sights vs regular sights but you cant tell without A) knowing or B) looking. IF they happen to have NM markings...

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Congrats Dave, Be safe & get home to start making it your own.:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all of the well wishes!

i realized why its such a mother scratcher to turn; theres a steering dampener the size of a 4x4 on the friggin front fork!!!

two quick questions because even though i got the from a private individual it was LIKE getting it from a modern day auto dealer. NO GAS in the tank (okay there was some but it wasnt much!

i put 4.2gal in but am curious of A) total fuel capacity and B) wheres the reserve (if it has one)...

i cant imagine this baby getting the best fuel economy schlepping an additional 200lbs of deadweight, in a configuration that is ripe for DRAG on the forward thrust!

·
Registered
51 Posts
HONDA Kelly blue book for a 94 GW SE is $5800. add a couple hundred for the sidecar and a decent price could be $6200.00. The old saying "Hast makes wast" at least have a compression check done!

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
i put 4.2gal in but am curious of A) total fuel capacity and B) wheres the reserve (if it has one)...
Honda specs say 6.1 gallon capacity. Reserve is not a switchover, all that happens is a low Fuel light come on. When that happens you have aprox. a around a gallon in the tank. I would guess about 20 something miles left in your bike once the light comes on.

One thing I did with my 1500 was I put a 1 gallon can of gas in the top box, took the bike for a ride, when the light came on I kept going to see how far I could ride with the light on. Finally stopped at about 40 miles & filled up. Never did use the one in the trunk but I did make sure my light worked & about how far I could go once it came on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congrats Dave, you're gonna love it. Make sure you take a full spare gas can with you when you try it out, my light doesn't work, and as stated, no reserve. Luckily I had the can. Got around 220 miles on a full tank though. Look at Cee Bailey's summer sportshield. I got one for mine in the summer, much shorter and dark smoke tinted, nearly black. Much better wind and feels like riding a bike. Kept the barn door screen for winter and trips, nice not having the wind noise in the intercom. Look at wingstuff.com.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I did with my 1500 was I put a 1 gallon can of gas in the top box, took the bike for a ride, when the light came on I kept going to see how far I could ride with the light on.
sounds like a good idea...

i dont know what kind of mileage ill get with the hack dragging along with me. cant imagine it being too good FOR the mileage...

wingstuff.com... ill check it out. what i DO like about the screen on it now is the vent that is bottom center. very nice feature. ive seen screens on fleabay but they dont have any vent. my REX has a flyscreen and so i get lots of good airflow. dont want to be in a hot bubble as i ride if i can help it...

thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's a great looking bike & it sounds like a lot of the maintenance has been recently done. When I bought my '94 I got no history & paid a dealer to go through it - I think I put new tires on it & an oil change. It was a great bike!

I sold my scooter & put that in the bank, but the '08 pulled a chunk of temporary debt. I can't wait to get it paid off, but I have to stop buying stuff for it first!

Congrats! My bet is all three of you will love it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we havent told my daughter yet. shes camping with grandpa and grandma...

well swing by there house this afternoon when we get back and they get home and ill bet shes jumping out of her shoes when she sees it...

there is some notations in the service manual showing work done around 24,000 and 32,000 miles but i dont recall what it was. there were tires done, brakes done and the altenator (which he paid over $800 for!)...

im looking forward to riding it home. about 200 miles or so...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts