Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Departing in about an hour for Portland, Oregon for our vacation to the Pacfic Northwest. Hooking up with Ron and Larry next week for a ride in the Cascades. Deb and I are taking Toby, our 5 pound Morkie on his great adventure. The GW stays home on this trip as we're driving our other Honda. Thanks to Larry, he's loaning me his Honda Silverwing for a ride with he, Ron and Betty. We'll be gone a month as we're also stopping in Ogden, Utah and Boulder, Colorado for our other destinations.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Enjoy your trip Dan.

Say Hi to Ron & Betty for me.

·
Super Moderator
15,161 Posts
hey thats unexpected news! have fun, be safe, and post something if you can

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Sounds grand. "Other Honda?" Gosh, not a cage:eek: Hah, it's all good! Give Larry an "atta boy" for the use of his SW.:D

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Have a great trip, Dan. You're doing it for all of us. And say Hi to Deb for me.

Take care, R

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Just got back from the Seattle area last night. I'm already missing the beautiful scenery and cool weather! Hope you have a great trip, Dan.

·
Super Moderator
9,997 Posts
There better be pics, that's all I can say...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts

·
Administrator
15,296 Posts
Have a good trip. Let's see some pictures along the way.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Have a great trip, and it didn't happen if there are no ......... Say G'day to Larry, Ron and Betty. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Be safe and have a smooth trip.....

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Mid 70's and sunny is the prediction for the weather. Looking forward to hosting you and Deb in Seattle for a motorcycle ride and some kayaking on Lake Union to check out the houseboats.

FRESH SEAFOOD is on order!

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We made it to Portland yesterday afternoon driving 2300 miles since Tuesday. First for all the positive about our road trip. We had good weather all the way except for strong thunderstorms in the Texas pan handle. It was raining so hard on the interstate that I couldn't see the painted lines and was hydro planing, so we pulled off for a bit. Our route took us up through the Four Corners, of Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Arizona. Our second night's stay was in Moab, Utah where we took a tour of Arches National Park. Arches is stunning and worth the several hours it takes to ride through and see all the red sandstone monoliths. In Salt Lake City we lost our air conditioning to our car and temps there were over 100. We stopped at an auto repair shop and was told our clutch had gone out on the compressor. We figured we'd get it fixed in Portland and drove on to Boise, Idaho where temps were 108. You never know how much you appreciate something until you lose it as it was a bit uncomfortable driving the rest of the way until we got closer to Portland.

We'd never been to Portland before as the drive in on 84 from Salt Lake City takes one along the Columbia River which was remarkably big and added to the visual beauty as the interstate ran along side all the way to Portland. The wind funnels down the river kicking up waves and white caps as we saw folks wind surfing the river. Last night we drove up into Washington Park and took a walk through the rose garden which was delightful. Temps were about 80 as the weather was picture perfect. We'll spend a few days visiting with our daughter, and her family and then head up to Seattle next week for a ride with Larry and Ron in the Cascades. Later, I'll post some pics.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
See you at the D.Q. in Sedro Wooley on Wednesday morning. Are bring Deb. along >>

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See you at the D.Q. in Sedro Wooley on Wednesday morning. Are bring Deb. along >>
Deb is planning on coming up but is probably going to spend the day with Larry's girl friend down in down town Seattle taking in some shopping etc. Besides, I wouldn't put her on the back of a Honda Silverwing motorscooter for a 400 mile ride. I'd love for you and Betty to meet her but looks like it may not happen on this trip. Hopefully, we can get back up sometime on the Goldwing and spend more time with you guys.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
I can understand not riding on the back seat of a Silverwing for 400 miles.

Come on up we got an extra bedroom if the Aussies aren't useing it.:rolleyes::)

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On Friday the 13th, Deb, Toby and I arrived in Portland, Oregon, driving 2300 miles from Troup, Texas. The first day of our journey got a little exciting as we hit a strong thunderstorm in Wichita Falls, Texas. It was raining so hard that the only vehicles still driving on the road were semi trucks and the painted lines began to disappear and we were hydroplaning all over the road. It was Deb's better sense that pulled us off to wait it out until things died down. Our route took us through the Four Corners and in Moab, Utah we took in a tour of Aches National Park. We'd driven that way before however always seemed to be in a hurry and never saw the park. It was worth the several hours it took to drive the entire length viewing awesome monoliths and arches.

In Salt Lake City we stopped to say hello to our daughter and when we got back on I-15 north we noticed we had no cold air in the car. We quickly found a garage and had it checked out as the clutch had burned up on the compressor. We decided to drive on through to Portland and get the car fixed up there. Salt Lake City was at 100 and by the time we pulled into Boise, Idaho it was 108. It was so hot in the car that I kept wetting down Toby with water to keep him cool. Deb was not a happy camper either as it remained hot all the way to Portland. You never realize how much you appreciate something until you lose it.

We're staying with our daughter in Portland and tomorrow drive up to Seattle to spend the night with Larry. Wednesday, Larry and I will ride up to the Cascades and meet-up with Ron and Betty at lunch time.

Canidae Smile Fawn House

Grass Tree Signage Sign Public space

Sky Mountain Landscape Geology Rural area

Formation Arch Sky Rock Natural landscape

Sky Badlands Formation Geology Cloud

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today we got the a/c repaired to the tune of 800.00. I'm not upset about the cost because I think it was a fair price for a Honda however it substantially increased our vacation cost. It will be nice though on our return trip back home re-entering the hotter parts of the country. Up here though it's very cool in the mornings such that I need a jacket and day time temps are in the seventies and eighties. The following pics were taken in Arches National Park in Moab, Utah. The last pic is Muthnomah Falls in Portland.

Tree National park Font Landscape Tourism

Badlands Formation Butte Rock Mountainous landforms

Rock Formation Butte Outcrop Historic site

Natural arch Arch Formation Rock Plant community

Waterfall Water resources Body of water Water Nature

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's some pics taken at Multhnomeh Falls in Portland of my daughter Crystal, her husband Daneil and our grandson Parker. One pic is with me and the other with Deb.

Canidae Dog Watercourse Adventure Companion dog

Tourism Waterfall Wildlife Canidae Vacation

1 - 20 of 59 Posts