Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On Father's Day, Deb and I decided we'd take Toby, our 5 pound Morkie (cross between Yorkie and Maltese) on his first motorcycle adventure ride. Recently Larry had sent me a pet carrier he had bought for his brother who carries his pooch on his Honda Helix. Perhaps you might remember Larry's recent ride in Arizona with his brother as they trailered their scooters down from Washington. I guess the carrier was too small for his brothers dog as I noticed in the pics that he had a dog crate attached to his luggage rack.

Our plan was to ride south on Hwy 110 towards Rusk about 15 miles and go east on a rural country road to Galletin and take Hwy 22 north to Jacksonville. Whenever I want to get some twisty time in I'll make this same run and turn around and repeat on the way back home. One way, its about 35 miles of turns that takes me down into 3rd gear and lots of flip flop curves that gets you shifting your hips on quick exchanges. A few of the curves are down to 20mph. Anyway, this was our route plan as I got the pet carrier mounted to the luggage rack and all the while Toby knew something was up. He loves to ride with us in our other Honda cage as we told him he was going for a ride but never with those silly white things on our head.

Getting him into the pet carrier the first time was probably a freak out for him as he had never been in this carrier before and I was trying to go feet first. He was a bit uneasy about it and as he waited for us to suit up he barked a little, not really knowing what in the heck was going on. Since my driveway, the road from Hell, still isn't fixed yet (same one I dropped the bike on 3x recently in one day), I told Deb to drive to the top of the hill and park the car at the end of the driveway. It had rained the day before as the hill was also muddy as I did feel the bike slip a little going up the hill. Until we get it re-graded I don't trust riding with Deb 2 up, up the hill that is terribly eroded. At the top of the hill we got loaded up and the air felt so good as it was already getting warm by 10am (probably 85). We rode down to the little town of Galletin where our twisty Hwy 22 intersects and stopped at an old country store for a quick check on the bungee cords on the pet carrier and let Toby out for a potty break and a drink of water. The pics that follow this narrative were taken in Galletin (Toby on his leash with Deb and pic #2 was at Loves Lookout in his pet carrier). Little curious George seemed to be doing fine in his carrier and in his usual fashion embarked on his sniffing mission around the store parking lot. We loaded up and took off on our fun twisty road that ended in Jacksonville, a town south of Tyler, Texas. The morning air felt so good compared to what would later become 95 degrees on the way home after lunch. We got into Jacksonville and took Hwy 69 north en-route to Tyler where we planned to stop for lunch. Just outside of Jacksonville is a rest stop; Loves Lookout http://www.tylertexasonline.com/photos-loves-lookout.htm, on-top of the highest point in the area at 713 ft. There Toby got to see some young children that doted over him at the look out point and had a big time. From there we headed north into Tyler for a bite of lunch. As we got into Tyler, a firetruck came down the street and passed us with siren and lights and horn a blasting as that must have been quite an experience for Toby also. In Tyler we went to a cafe with outside dining so we could have Toby with us on his leash at our table. Toby was the perfect little gentleman sitting next to us as we munched on chicken salad sandwiches on pecan raisin bread. We both saved him a little treat from our sandwich as he was such a good little boy. By this time it was now over 90 and we were ready to head back home in get back inside for some A/C. We rode about 100 miles on Sunday and Toby seemed to do real good riding on the Wing. This was Toby's first great adventure on the bike.

Motor vehicle Helmet Vehicle Mode of transport Transport

Vehicle Canidae Bicycle accessory Car

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts
Tough biking Dog. Do you suppose he's going to bragging to all the other dogs in the neighborhood?:cool:

·
Administrator
29,009 Posts

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
MZ DRAGON and I got our dog 6 years to do just this but 37Lbs. later it was not to be.

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Nice trip. Gotta get Toby a camera so we can see more pictures.

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
How about a Pro or a Drift for a 'dog's eye view'?;)

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
My wife loved it.....
She promised she could ride everywhere if I would find a carrier for our Shih tzu. He sits at 20 lbs. That would max out the trunk rack. I guess its a no go.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife loved it.....
She promised she could ride everywhere if I would find a carrier for our Shih tzu. He sits at 20 lbs. That would max out the trunk rack. I guess its a no go.
Rudy sells the trunk reiforcement braces on the Saunders site or put your pooch on a diet. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Rudy sells the trunk reiforcement braces on the Saunders site or put your pooch on a diet. :eek:
Hit with me the link there my man Dan.....

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hit with me the link there my man Dan.....
Here's one on Cyclemax. http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/86/92732
And here's the link on Saunders site: http://rudysproducts.com/Store/TL5.html

Interesting they're the same kit but different prices. On Saunders site they're marketed for the GL 1500. Cyclemax doesn't say which model they fit but I assume for the 1500. You might call or email Cyclemax and ask them if they'll work on either bike. Here's the thread on the trunk reinforcement on the Saunders site. Reading this thread it appears some guys made their own also. http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/vie...forum_id=1&highlight=Rudy+trunk+reinforcement

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Great stuff....I need to check to see if there is one for the 1800. The rudy one is 39.95 vs. 12.95. Very interesting. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Called Cyclemax and they tell me that at this time Reinforcements for the 1800 is not available. Should be soon, but for now NO!!!:(

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Called Cyclemax and they tell me that at this time Reinforcements for the 1800 is not available. Should be soon, but for now NO!!!:(
Maybe you can make Ref and wholesale to Cyclemax.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts