Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
i haven't ridden a trike either but i am not going to trike one of my bikes i'll see if i can take a friends for a ride. theres a lot of money invested into turning your bike into a trike to find out you don't like it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To Trike or not to Trike

I was hoping to get some info from someone that had
experience with a trike , and if they would share the pros and cons of making that transition. Thankyou

·
Registered
70 Posts
Venture, I just added a new GL-1800 CSC Cobra to our family in December. It is definately different than my 2002 GL-1800. Once you get used to not leaning in turns, it is simular. My Father who is 73 will be riding this one but I've got more miles on it to this point. Make sure you get the rake kit on it as it is a must. If not, be prepared to use some serious muscle!!! If you have any specific questions, PM me with a phone number and I will be glad to call you and share my experience of our trike with you. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, and I may switch to a trike when I can't swing my leg over the seat any more. Hopefully not for a few years yet ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2008 GL1800 and will be adding a CSC trike conversion to it later this year. Even though I thoroughly enjoy the bike the way it is, I've been wanting to "trike" it for some time. I had a 2008 Can-Am Spyder which was alot of fun but just not big enough or comfortable enough for both my wife and me to ride. So, I purchased the Goldwing last year and will be adding the trike this year. I've ridden a trike before and like the way it handles. I also like the secure feeling it gives you when you have a passenger on the back. I ride my wife and also my 12 and 13 year old children on the back. (not all at the same time, of course :) ) I am planning on getting another bike once I get the trike paid for. I will then have a trike and a 2-wheeler. Ride what you like and don't worry about what others think. As long as you feel comfortable with what you are riding and enjoy it, that is all that matters. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I toyed with the trike idea but I love to feel my bike in the curves and the responce when I drive through the North Georgia Mountains so I went with the Safety Features Safe Stop Kit. When I need that extra security to balance the wing it is there, but the rest of the time I have the full ride of a motorcycle. The wife loves the security of balance at slow speed and stoping like in parking lots, at the gas pump and at long holding red lights. We both love the bike but just didn't feel a trike kit was what we wanted.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Glad that has worked out for you. To me, it looks too much like a tricycle. Not the look I want. I like the trike look much better. I'm not going to a trike because I have to but because I want to. I'm only 46 years old and in good health. No injuries to keep me from riding the Wing. I originally wanted a trike buy my wife talked me out of it so I got the Goldwing. After riding it for a year I have to say that I love it, but I still want the trike. So, I'm going to put the CSC kit on it and then after I get that paid for I'm getting another 2 wheeler for when I want to ride solo. I've looked at the VTX and also a Victory Kingpin. I like the lean in the curves, etc, also and don't want to totally give that up.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Responding to "Trike or Not to Trike"

We've triked our Wing. Am new to this forum, and noticed this post. A little background: My spouse (he is not that computer literate, hence why I am posting this) bought a new GL 1200 Interstate Goldwing in 1985. Kept it until 1995, he then sold it to his niece. Approximately 2 years ago (2007) he went to visit his relatives and brought it back on the back of his Ram. The bike was not running; had been left outside a few times in the snow, etc.--When he brought it back, it was just shy of being a basket-case. Lots of work to restore to original. It was pretty difficult finding some parts, but he persevered, and got it done. Took almost a year to restore to what it was in 1995.

Then, he decided to convert to a trike. After looking around we settled on Tri-Wing Industries. They are based out of Canada, north of Washington State. It is expensive to convert, but in my (and he just LOVES it) opinion, it's worth it. The base price was roughly $6000. However, expect to spend another $2000 for additional expenses. Taxes, shipping (shipping to us from Canada to eastern NC was $800), drive shaft modification, and rear tires/rims will eat most of that $2000. And don't forget the paint job. And the rear taillights. All in all, the expense was around $8000-$8500.

That's the negative part....And now for the positive! We had NEVER "triked" a bike before, and were unsure as to whether to tackle this one on our own, or have someone build for us. After much thought about it, he decided to DIY. Initially, I think it was overwhelming for him, but after a day of staring at the parts that he had uncrated, he got over it and got to work.

Within 48 hours, it was done. The instructions that came with the kit were very helpful, we could call the manufacturer and would actually get the owners on the phone that could offer suggestions, and assistance with the "little" stuff that he couldn't figure out.

If we had to do it over again, would we? Absolutely! By the way, we "triked" the bike in September 2008; he took the bike to Daytona this year (he drove-- did not trailer--) from NC. This is his "new" primary form of transportation now--even tho' he has two trucks to drive. He wants to go to Sturgis next.......

There are a few "musts" that have to be done during the assembly of the trike...let me know if you are thinking about it, and we'll try to give you a few pointers...

·
Registered
20 Posts
We had my wife a 2005 GL1800 triked with a Roadsmith kit nearly 2 years ago. She dropped her Volusia twice and we made the decision to trike a wing for her. We bought the wing on ebay and had it trikerd by Complete Cycle and Trikes in Rome, Georgia.
She has become quite proficient on it and rides it to heer work most days.
It can be pricey but we paid a good price for the wing and the kit was a total price of under $14000 including tax, installation, running boards and a ton of chrome she wanted.
Runs great, stable platform
http://www.thepurplewing.com/images/powerman/pages/Powerman031_JPG.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
How much did your running boards cost? Hubby wants to know...he thinks they're cool; I'm not all that impressed. Our kit came with chrome "foot sized" running boards that were incorporated into the swing-arm. Am not even sure that we could get running boards for an 85 GL1200 Interstate.

Here's pics of our bike:

·
Registered
20 Posts
How much did your running boards cost? Hubby wants to know...he thinks they're cool; I'm not all that impressed. Our kit came with chrome "foot sized" running boards that were incorporated into the swing-arm. Am not even sure that we could get running boards for an 85 GL1200 Interstate.

If I remember correctly they were about $1400 painted and installed.

There are great in the rain for keeping water from blowing up on you. Its just a pain to change the oil since the filter is hard to reach because of the boards position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Trike

I have an 07 Wing with CSC conversion. Over 14000 miles to date and my wife and I enjoy it. Had several long trips on it and enjoyed the stability of the trike. We feel exremely comfortabe on it. Handleing is great in curves and mountian roads. Keep on triking and enjoy the road.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Trike?

I'm just curious; After watching one of the bike building shows where they build trikes, one thing caught my attention; the rear axle was NOT solid, they say a solid axle causes the front end to "plow" during low speed turns..like in a parking lot for instance. In fact they only use limited slip axles on all their trikes.
Can anyone that has experience on a trike w/either axle type weigh in on this?:D

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just wanted to share this experience I had recently. I am into the third season riding my GL1800 Wing. I just saw for the first time, a female riding her Wing. She was with another female who was riding a triked Wing. I have not seen a female riding a Wing until the other day. Am I out of touch here? How many times have you guys seen a female on a Wing?

* I have seen females (too many to count) on the HD Road King and Ultra Classic *

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I just wanted to share this experience I had recently. I am into the third season riding my GL1800 Wing. I just saw for the first time, a female riding her Wing. She was with another female who was riding a triked Wing. I have not seen a female riding a Wing until the other day. Am I out of touch here? How many times have you guys seen a female on a Wing?

* I have seen females (too many to count) on the HD Road King and Ultra Classic *
Here's one caught on camera at an Arizona fund drive.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,676 Posts
Trust me, you'll love owning a trike and you'll wonder why you didn't get one sooner. No matter what kind of trike you own they always draw a crowd, they are fun to ride and they're just plain cool. You get more storage space, stability and safety.
Clockwoo, like your trike, I'm a big fan of 'Classic Wings', like the Triwing kit too they're great.
Trike axles for Wings are the same as that on an automobile and work the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Food for thought; an option to spending the $$ for a trike is to lower the 1800 with the new lowering kit, at least for the slightly shorter rider. Any thoughts or input ???

·
Super Moderator
7,676 Posts
There are cheaper units out there if you do not wish to spend a lot of money on a trike, there is 'Retract-a-trike', the towpac Insta-trike, Voyager and Trigg Trikes There is a company that makes a lowering set up for an 1800 and then you'd have to get a custom made seat. www.trikealternative.com and www.lowerwingproducts.com. There are trike shops that have demos for a potential client to test before they convert theirs. I'm 5'4" tall and for me the use of a Voyager was a smart move, as I can easily become the entertainment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts