Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after three weeks of fighting this crazy bug that is going around I finally got out for a beautiful ride yesterday. I had the wife ride the Wing with me for the first time, hoping she would enjoy it as much as I do. Long story short .. she didn't ! It was the blast of air hitting her in the face that was so bad she had to close her eyes for the whole first part of the ride. I did adjust the windshield up as far as it could go, and it did help some, but she was still experiencing the wind issue. I know a helmet with a face shield would at least let her keep her eyes open, but is there anything that would help lessen this wind issue? Has anyone else had this problem with their passenger?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
My wife and daughter are the only ones that ride with me and their helmet does have a face shield. I have the standard height wind shield on my wing, and usually have it clear up. There are plenty of guys with the tall Tulsa type who will probably chime in. So many options out there, just have to figure out what will work for you. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I pulled off an old Tulsa when I bought mine and went stock height. It greatly changed the wind and turbulence especially for the passenger. I wanted a little more air for summer riding but was too much for the Mz.

I put baker wings under the side mirrors. They don't look like much but put the smile back on the Mz. face.

The Tulsa creates a huge air bubble that encompasses you and passenger from air and rain (so long as you are moving).

If no windshield is a zero and a tulsa is a ten then the Baker wings are a 6 or 7 for the passenger.

I already had the wings on the side to block the wind on our legs or cool mine in summer. They work great too.

If by chance you aren't familiar with these just check out my pics in my album.

and now a shameless plug for our sponser: "baker wings can be bought at WingStuff.com"

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled off an old Tulsa when I bought mine and went stock height. It greatly changed the wind and turbulence especially for the passenger. I wanted a little more air for summer riding but was too much for the Mz.

I put baker wings under the side mirrors. They don't look like much but put the smile back on the Mz. face.

The Tulsa creates a huge air bubble that encompasses you and passenger from air and rain (so long as you are moving).

If no windshield is a zero and a tulsa is a ten then the Baker wings are a 6 or 7 for the passenger.

I already had the wings on the side to block the wind on our legs or cool mine in summer. They work great too.

If by chance you aren't familiar with these just check out my pics in my album.

and now a shameless plug for our sponser: "baker wings can be bought at WingStuff.com"
I was wondering if all the Baker wings would help, and it sounds like they do. Those are a "must" then. I just never thought there would be that much wind tuberlance for the passenger on the Goldwing.
And you are right .. we need to keep a smile on mamma.
Thanks for the advise L2R. Happy trails....

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
head scratchin'

Ship,

You may want to investigate more and not take just my word or it.

When I got my little box in the mail, I was a little ticked. As I put them on the side mirrors, I thought, these are too small to do much- if anything.

I was fall and cool camping in Asheville when we tried them out. As they turn 0 to 90 degrees you can instantly determine their value.

Momma's song changed from take me home to let's ride. They helped deflect the cold wind off my hands too. Believe me, I would have known if they were crap.

I will say that even a little wind feels bad if it's cold. To complete the solution, you may find a 3/4 or full helmet will be the final fix.

My Mz. is so cold natured, I tell her she is part vampire. If she has her 3/4 helmet with her in the summer, she keeps a 'antifreeze' brand neck warmer for night riding.

All this trial and error for me because I took off the Tulsa. But we are both happy now. I hated the bubble as most of our riding is in hot weather the look of a standard shield just looked better to me.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I agree on the mirror hand wings. On a hot day riding with Mz. Vickie I turned them inwards to get some air on me and she tapped on the back of my helmet to alert me to " roll up the windows ". They are a good start to back seat comfort.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
4" plus tall windshield, hand wings, & side wings are my choice. Like Matt said the faceshield will help alot with the face but it won't do much for the buffeting.

The only knock I've ever heard on tall windshields was guys didn't like looking through them. No issue as far as I'm concerned & the Little Lady is happy.

Just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
I had a Tulsa tall windscreen and Baker wings on my 98 GL1500 and it was like riding in the "cone of silence". Didn't mind looking through the screen. It was tinted which helped too..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Put her in a car and let her follow you!! :D
It's a motorcycle, you will get wind.
The suggestions on a bigger windshield and mirror wings will help a lot.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What is the story on the side windows that attach to a Honda stock or tall wind shield?......
Every motorcycle I have owned has got a new seat and windshield attempting to get comfortable warm or dry.....
There seems to be so many options with the GW and the Wing things...I am not particularly crazy about the appearance or drilling holes into the body work but 500 miles of wind or buffeting I guess id wear a box over my head if it helped:eek:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've experimented with the stock shield in every height and wind condition immagineable and I found the best for me/us was one notch up from full down bottom. Higher increased the push back at the rear seat but reduced the head on assault of wind for her. Mid heights made little or no improvement. Nothing helps in stiff crosswinds or gusty conditions. The buffeting is worse the higher the roadspeed as well. 75 mph and one notch up from the bottom is where we found the sweet spot for us. I'm 5'11" and she's just <5'.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
It's a subtle gesture, but I open the windshield vent just a wee bit. The updraft from the vent seems to soften the ambient buffeting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, as a new Wing owner it is nice to have this kind of forum and get the "seasoned" help from all it's memebers. It is greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on the w/s vent. One notch open even on cool days helps the buffeting and doesn't chill things off hardly at all. I have it at least half open on warmer days, wide open on hot. It does more to control the wind buffet than I think it does for cooling, but that's just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ditto on the w/s vent. One notch open even on cool days helps the buffeting and doesn't chill things off hardly at all. I have it at least half open on warmer days, wide open on hot. It does more to control the wind buffet than I think it does for cooling, but that's just me.
This is very interesting. Never having a wind shield with a vent like the Wing has, this is as my Mz says is "priceless".
Thanks Budoka.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think I get the windshield vent usage....I have a clearview shield on one of my bikes and it has two ovoid holes cut to prevent buffeting. I was actually referring to the add on side shields that go on the windshield. it seems that honda is the only company making these for their windshield. I dont see any aftermarket people trying this so it makes me wonder if it is really worth the money. I tend to be very anal about wind and rain (I live in Oregon).
I am getting the bike on Wednesday......I am really excited....out of all the bikes I have ever owned this has got me going....hope all goes well...
thank you all for your input.....Goldwing owners are the best people and the friendliest

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just did a 400 mile run yesterday with this cold front moving in. Man talk about cross winds i don't thing any type of windshield would have helped we got hit from all sides. I also put the baker hand wings on about 3 weeks ago they work great keeping the cold wind and bugs off my hands. Will be getting the two lower wings very soon. Have been getting a lot of cold crazy wind gust in florida this year. Good helmets with shields or a good pair of riding glasses will always help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts