Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family needs have All been taken care of so my retirement gift to myself was purchasing a 2022 6-speed manual Goldwing. Delivery in April. Life....long.....dream comes true!

My first motorcycle was in Kenya via the Peace Corps (1986-88). They gave us Kawasaki 250 dirt bikes and from that point on, I was hooked. I have been riding a Honda 1300 CTX for the past few years and feel comfortable with this style of bike. When Honda redesigned the Wing in '18 and dropped about 100 lbs, I KNEW that was the bike I'd be getting. I loved my 1300 but on my long touring trips, the high RPM vibrations made the trip much more challenging. I look forward to traveling at lower RPM's and this 1800 will do that.

I look forward to using this cool site the more miles I travel on 'Blue.'

Happy 2022 to all.

Loren from Superior

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
Congratulations on your Wing order. We would love to see some photos of it when it comes in.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in time for riding season too! Just a question....are you happy you waited for the larger trunk?
I had a fairly large trunk on my previous bike and one does get used to it. The 18's were smaller bur with the 21 and 22s, they now have enough space to pack two helmets. There have been some complaints that Honda could have/should have made the side carriers larger but I think that would take away from the sleek look this bike screams of.

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
190 Posts
I had a fairly large trunk on my previous bike and one does get used to it. The 18's were smaller bur with the 21 and 22s, they now have enough space to pack two helmets. There have been some complaints that Honda could have/should have made the side carriers larger but I think that would take away from the sleek look this bike screams of.
I have an '06 that I bought 3 years ago.....so far fantastic and trouble free. Been on quite a few week long trips too. When I was looking to but I saw a new '18 model at the dealer and immediately didn't like the seat or the small trunk.

I'm VERY tempted now to go all in on a new one because of the storage space increase. Did you have a hard time choosing between the 6 speed and the automatic?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an '06 that I bought 3 years ago.....so far fantastic and trouble free. Been on quite a few week long trips too. When I was looking to but I saw a new '18 model at the dealer and immediately didn't like the seat or the small trunk.

I'm VERY tempted now to go all in on a new one because of the storage space increase. Did you have a hard time choosing between the 6 speed and the automatic?
That seems to be a popular question/debate on forums like this. Everything in my life is automatic these days so perhaps this is why I did NOT want the DCT. I like the idea of being engaged with my bike. It allows me to better feel the bike and then I feel more confident on the road. To each his own and those that have the DCT are happy too.

Note: If you are serious about getting a 6 speed manual, you'll have to start thinking 'nation-wide' search. Most of the dealers are pushing DCT's and not as many manuals. FYI

·
Registered
2006 GL1800 2003 Escapade trailer
190 Posts
That seems to be a popular question/debate on forums like this. Everything in my life is automatic these days so perhaps this is why I did NOT want the DCT. I like the idea of being engaged with my bike. It allows me to better feel the bike and then I feel more confident on the road. To each his own and those that have the DCT are happy too.

Note: If you are serious about getting a 6 speed manual, you'll have to start thinking 'nation-wide' search. Most of the dealers are pushing DCT's and not as many manuals. FYI
I feel the same way. I enjoy running through the gears myself. Look forward to seeing the pictures of the new bike!

·
Registered
2022 Goldwing Tour DCT, 2018 BMW R1200 GSA, 2016 BMW K1600 GTL
97 Posts
Congratulations and you did purchase the fastest color. You are going to love the wing. I am only 3 weeks into my first wing ownership and so far, it is great.

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,736 Posts
Welcome to the forum and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Administrator
15,968 Posts
You will enjoy it. The side bags are smaller than the 2010 I traded in, but if I can find custom bags to fit the space it'll be fine. My wife doesn't ride so the rear seat can hold some stuff. Although it usually has a small cooler strapped down in that spot. I haven't been on any long trips yet, but that will come up soon. I hope to find time to slip in a ride to Arizona this fall.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts