Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Goldwingers.

I wish I could say fellow Goldwingers but I have not purchased one yet. I rented a 2008 GL1800 when I was in Phoenix last year and was very impressed. The problem is having to give up gravel roads. I love exploring the local area wherever I go. I have had a KLR650 then a Vstrom1000.

The new Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X concept is going into production and the Yamaha Super Tenere is also appealing.

Has anyone had regrets about buying a pavement only bike?:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. I personally don't ride in the dirt, but there are a number of folks who actually own 2 bikes for just that reason. One for touring and one for off road. If you love long distance riding, nothing beats the Wing..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Its not a problem, keep the KLR, trade the V strom and get a Wing. U wont be sorry.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I use my Wing to get away, not to get around. I live in suburbia, so gravel roads are either someone's driveway or a road to nowhere.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello sledghammer, welcome to GWOF. i have seven bikes and six of them are road bikes. the other is a pit bike

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. You can go on dirt roads on a wing. But sand and bull dust is a problem. Eric

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Sledge, I would say that our "Road Warrior" is correct. You can do it but I never liked it.

I'd have the 2nd bike for sure.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It can be done when you come to road construction but a Wing at almost 900 lbs is the best bike for dirt or gravel. Not to say what the gravel will do to the paint job.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've been through some pretty severe stuff (out of stupidity and then the resulting necessity) looking for that 'magic road' and scenic shortcuts. Been some anxious moments and even a muddy spill once (I may tell that one sometime), but it can be done. Take Eric's advice, choose wisely.;)

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. You can go on dirt roads on a wing. But sand and bull dust is a problem. Eric
Eric is one that knows. he has posted pictures of stuff that I would love to ride my old KDX175 thru and he did it on his wing. I would lean to having two bikes. Look at it this way, there is a difference between what you want and what you need. You WANT and NEED to stay sane. You need to ride in the dirt to stay that way. You also need to ride on the pavement to do that. Jim Beam will kill ya slowly and do all sorts of bad things to ya, so you really dont have a choice....Two bikes and you WANT the best (Goldwing!!)so there you go! :D
Good luck to ya and ride safe

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
I bought my Goldwing and was going to keep my other bike for commuting. What i found our was the Wing magnified all other bikes flaws. I had to sell my other bike....I have a 4 wheeler for off-road excursions. Welcome to the GWOF either way.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
I think you would be better with your dirt bike and the wing. I have got myself into some sticky spots because of going down tracks on the wing. On the gravel roads at slower speeds I have done very well. and even then then it can get a bit exciting. On one gravel track I lost it on a loose corner with my wife on the back we ended up going bush and I mean bush. But keeped it upright. My passenger wasn't happy. Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have owned several 1200GS', they did everything I could imagine. The only reason I don't have one now are.... 1. The wife could not get onto the seat 2. Reliability sucks.

If I could have two, one would be one of the 800 GS'. Everything the big bike could do plus more....

And another Burgman scooter...

And another Harley Ultra

And.......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good point

I use my Wing to get away, not to get around. I live in suburbia, so gravel roads are either someone's driveway or a road to nowhere.

I am at a point in my life where I want to take long trips and see some more of this continent. Exploring gravel backroads is more of a thing to do when out for a day ride. I think I will start shopping for a wing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi and welcome ! A wing is not a dirt bike , that said a DL1000 is alson not a true dirt bike I own one and love it. If the Dirt roads and such is your thing stick to the ride you love or have two bikes. A wing is a long haul two up and no multi purpose bike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts