Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who remembers a few months back when I mentioned making a set of Titanium pads for the Kuryakyn Floorboards?

Well I finally got around to making them and here are a few pictures. They work great and the bright hot WHITE sparks from the titanium are pretty cool at night. Unfortunately for me right now, I have to be careful and not use them much as we are in severe dry drought conditions around my area.
Still working on finding someone to ride behind me and shoot a video or the firework show!:D

They started out as a pair of titanium blocks..............

Here they are after a couple milling operations................

And here they are after a couple days on the bike. I think I am going to need a few more sets!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Nice mill work Buzz. So how much did the skid pads cost??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice mill work Buzz. So how much did the skid pads cost??
They only cost me $8 each for a total of $16 per set. I milled them at work after hours so no cost to me there as I have an awesome company I work for!

I found the Titanium on Ebay and lucked out on that one too. They were in the exact size blocks I needed and the guy was asking less than scrap value.
I actually bought a total of 8 blocks. I only had time to make one set and I have the majority of the milling done on the 2nd set. I wish I had the time to get them all made but will just have to do it when I find time here and there.

I am missing one of the pictures. It was on the finished pad after the last milling step taking the ends off with a 25 degree angle. I had them polished up and looked awesome the day I installed em! But titanium doesn't stay pretty for long..........lol

The next set I am going to make 3/4'' thick. They will be very easy to drag at first but after I get the edges wore down some it won't be so bad. My thinking is if they are thicker, I will get more use out of them while still having the same clearance as the shorter ones.
If you look close at the picture on the bike, you can see they angle they wear at. By the time they get close to the boards, I just rotate them around and I have a brand new edge, just like having 2 sets in one!

I also thought about drilling three 1/2'' holes and inserting a magnesium plug in them! But I am scared I would catch the damn bike on fire!:D

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
wow i could use them

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Those look pretty good. Do they shower sparks?:cool:
PM sent BTW

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to unbolt pad and turn 180 & remount.
Yes Sir, that was the whole idea behind the design. The two end holes are actually slots to allow for this as the 3 holes on the board are not in a straight line. The holes on the board follow the curve of the outer edge.
I also made them thick enough so that once they are worn close to the board edge, they should be just about in the center of the holes. Once I have worn both sides, I should wind up with a "V" meeting in the middle. Then maybe I can find another use for the wasted titanium elsewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts