Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a high mileage rider as I usually average over 1000 miles per week...I am a very universal rider as I normally ride the back roads...My tires are the Elite 3 and they are wearing very rounded...

I am curious what tires most riders reccommend and why...

Also like to know how many miles front and rear wear should be and what tire pressure you are running....

I live in the Houston, Texas area and I am currently running front tire @ 39psi and Rear tire @ 44psi....

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
At a 1,000 miles a week, you would burn up a darkside tire in 24 weeks and a E3 in 12.

There are some folks on here that don't think I can add or subtract..... much less multiply.

Darkside tires saves money.

44 in the rear and 40 in the front for me.

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
42 front, 42 rear (cold ) seems to be the consensus . Rear Metzelers I had prior to my going car tire had about 12,000 +/- miles on her before it got so noisy I didn't enjoy the ride. Front tire had a puncture well before its time so I starting all over again with a Bridgestone 709.

·
Registered
141 Posts
F39#, R41#, cold & cold. Run Bridgstones with Dynabeads, very good results, both F&R tires have 12,500 miles on them and are good for a few more. No cupping, no unusual wear.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
On my 98 GL1500 I always ran the Dunlop OEM tires. Went through 2 sets in 37k miles. I've not had to buy tires for the 1800 yet, so I too have some decisions to make.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MILES vs MONEY

http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/ Go to this website and do alot of reading see what others have done and proven. I did and now I'll be a darksider too. Its not rocket science its out money and an industry that has been taking way to much of it... And if you have questions signup and ask. There are very knowledgeable folks there with the same ride as you. Your welcome Craig

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm in the conventional camp, but no probs with the darkside personally. I just prefer the m/c tires is all. I run 40 fr and 42 rr. just over 12k miles on OEM Duns on my 1800. D250 replacement rear in the spring and 'stone on the front at the same time.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Nudel, I run E3's. I dont plan to change, I avg. 20K a set. I'm not a dark sider. Once I had a total flat (1 inch hole from sheet metal, rear tire) and rode home 15 miles with no air. The side walls on the E3 held the bike up and stable. A 20mph ride home beats sitting on the side of the road for hours waiting for the AAA guy. Smart ? Probably not but there was no damage to the bike or wheel. I don't think you could do that with a car tire.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Well Bill, I have to say the run flat thing has my interest with the c/t. Pretty impressed by your testament too. I've spoken to other riders that have experienced flats and ran them out of necessity (wilderness location etc), just never hope I have the same chance.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Budoka, I almost didnt post that simply because it approaches a really stupid thing to do.
But I did it and it worked. I didnt feel in danger (no passenger) and the wheel was not damaged. The tire was TRASH! Next day, new tire and Im off.

Again, I don't think the sidewalls on a car tire would allow that. There is a difference in c/t's and mc/t's. Cheers.
oh yes, I run 38F and 40 R.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Again, I don't think the sidewalls on a car tire would allow that. There is a difference in c/t's and mc/t's. Cheers.
oh yes, I run 38F and 40 R.
There is an actual Run Flat car tire that is so effective that you have to use a pressure monitoring system or you could have a disaster as from what I understand, if you loose air pressure, you can not detect it while riding the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As a new member I appreciate all the informative info you guys are feeding back on issues! I also run the E-3's like Nudels2u75 and have developed an unusual cupping on the left side of the tire after a 3700 mile trip. I have approx. 8k miles on it currently ! Thanks

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome eeddy57. What year and model is your Wing. E3s on 1800's are getting some bad reports it seems. They were a very popular choice on the 1500s though.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
No probs man, just helps to know. Lots of themembers here had nothing but good to say about the E3s on their 1500. I can't remember what I used on mine prior to the trike conversion, but I think I stuck with the OEM because of being easier to come by due to where I was at the time. I know i changed out one front and two rears in the 4 years I had it on two wheels. Other than that CRAFT has it blocked out:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts