Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Goldwing with a California double sidecar. It wears tires because of the same spot ride angle. Are there auto tires available that would fit? The rear is worse thatn the front. I wore it out in 10,000 miles.

Garth

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lots of 1500 riders out there with the "darkside" em, 'affliction';) No that's not a shot at c/t believers, just saying there's alot of yis out there. I can really see where a c/t on a sidecar rig would be highly praised.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Car tires are very popular with the trike community.

There is a catalog of information regarding car tires fitting the 1500, just google it. I am not sure what rim size you are running on the back of your trike.

My darkside tire is in my signature.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
Car tires are very popular with the trike community.

There is a catalog of information regarding car tires fitting the 1500, just google it. I am not sure what rim size you are running on the back of your trike.

My darkside tire is in my signature.
your federal formoza ct should be a good start

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
your federal formoza ct should be a good start
I am not sure if I could honestly recommend the Formosa tire to another 1500 rider and feel confident in doing so.

Here is why:

The Formosa tire lowers the back end of the motorcycle 1/2 to 3/4 inches in height. This also will redistribute the weight of the motorcycle. If that bike has the famous front end wobble....wouldn't this redistribution of weight increase the wobble?

Also, if you corner so much that you constantly scrape metal on pavement, wouldn't this increase the payment contact?

Now those items are worth mentioning.

I have close to 13000 miles on my formoza ct and I can report nothing negative. My riding style is always moderate acceleration, cautious braking, nothing close to cutting up the canyons on the twisties and riding slow enough to read the mailboxes. At my rate of use, I see this tire going the 30,000 mile distance, if I choose to continue to run it until the end of the tire life.

I have said all along that this has worked out for me, but I would hesitate to suggest to anyone else a car tire or the formoza ct. That particular tire has been run successfully by many 1500 owners. Some of those owners have moved on to other car tires after using it up. I may try the Dunlop ROF Wintersport next or the Taxi tire. At my rate of mileage, that is another 18 months to 24 months to make a decision. I could very well be riding an 1800 by then.

I am not fanatical about a car tire. I just wanted to be sure to report my findings truthfully as I could about my experience on one. The decision to go to the "darkside" for me was financial. So far, that has been right on. The purchase of the tire ($87 delivered) installation was cheaper than a standard tire install and it has now exceeded the typical life of a MT without any negative result. The savings on that rear tire is as real as any other $350 savings. That equates to 100 gallons of fuel, which is 4,000 miles and how many smiles?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 goldwing what kind of milage should I be getting on a set of tires,
Keeping the front at 38psi and the backs at 42psi. What would anyone suggest for my next set.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I've got 20,000 km (12,000 mi) on my '09 and I'm changing out the tires in the spring. Not completely done yet, but I'll end up having to change early enough in the season that I'd just end up with some down time so I'm doing it before the start of the season hits. Less chance of a tire related problem that way anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts