Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we're about to put the ol' girl and her Hannigan tag-along up in storage for the winter in about a month or so ( No, I don't need to hear from you folks where it's 70 degrees in Jan.) Is it a good idea to put wood under the tires?- Storage will be about three months considering all the salt they throw around here. If needed, what good does the wood do? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
First question, is the bike being stored in a covered area like a garage? Is so, put the bike on the center stand and put carpet strips or wood under wheels to keep them off the concrete floor. I use carpet strips which help the tires from getting a flat spot from sitting for 3 months.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I wish it was only 3 months Two Wheel! It was above freezing this morning and I thought briefly about riding to work. Good thing I didn't, there was a layer of hoar frost on the pavement and one of the bridges was layered in black ice. Made my 3/4t truck drift so imagine what the Wing would have done!
I use a plywood sheet under the center stand, and a piece of thick old carpet under the front tyre. I have a linen cover (shipping wrap from a Polaris atv so that the condensation doesn't collect on the bike from opening and closing the bike door for the wife's car. 40*f inside, -30* outside creates it's own issues with moisture.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts