Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have already replaced one set of tires and they are showing signs of wear (some cupping). I keep an eye on my air pressure as I know that is a major cause of tire wear.
What tires have produced good mileage and handing for some of you other Wing owners.
thank you, Fred

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Which model Wing do you own? I have a GL1500 and have Dunlop E3s and have no problems.
If you have an 1800 you must use radial tires. Older Wings can use bias-ply.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello fred, welcome to GWOF. the road surface in your area might be causing the cupping. i met up with eric in logansport and we rode to frackville together and we noticed that both our front tires were cupping, i had been watching mine ever since then but somewhere along the way the cupping of my front tire got worn away

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fred. What year Wing do you have and how many miles did you get from your set of tires???

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have about 25K on my rear tire and looks to have another 5/6K left (2nd one of these I have used). On the front I only have 9K but it still has at least 80% of its tread left. Kinda embarrased :(to report that the front is a bias but it is the 2nd one of these I have used and I have had no problems and am pleased with it. The rear is a radial. I know you are not supposed to mix radial an bias but that is only on the same axle (as I understand it) and I have a bike and not a trike.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've noticed that I get between 16,000-19,000 miles on the Elite III's. I just replaced my front with 19,000 miles on it. I could have stretched it some more but was thinking it is looking a little unsafe. I guess we all have that certain threshold for safety. Some different than others but we change 'em when they don't look safe enough, in general. I have not looked into any other tire but Elite III.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
I have to agree that tires wear too quickly for what we pay for them. Motorcycles wear tires quicker than other vehicles do. My wife's car gets almost 50k out of a set of tires and it weighs 2 and a half tons. My bike got a tad ove 12k and it weighs 900#:confused: Even darksiders get way less mileage out of them than if they were on an automobile. So it's not the distribution of the weight on the tires that causes the wear. Even if you factor in two people and fully loaded, there's half the weight load on each m/c tire compared to a car or pickup. Then again, if you look at carrying capacity, bikes aren't exactly fuel efficient either,

·
Registered
473 Posts
17K on the bias E3's when I had the 15. Had 12k when I changed the stones on the 1800, running the E3 now with 9k on them, looking good so far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am also amazed how quickly my wing can eat new rubber. Bridgestone 704 rear, 709 front. Typically 9K-10K rear tire - regardless of twisties it will flaten and wear the center, front seems to enjoy cupping and is worn out around 12K-14K....I have maintained 41psi in both.

I am currently on the fence regarding the darkside? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Cupping was a problem for me until I ran max air pressure and stopped using the front brake as hard as I did. My next front tire will be a trike only tire and that should be the ticket.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
I got 14,000 out of the Dunlops that came on the bike. I tried Dunlop Elite 3's for the second set and replaced them this spring with 20,000 on that set. Decided that was pretty good and went with them again. Next set I may try a Bridgestone set that Budoka recommended but I know they will not last as long. I have had Bridgestone and Dunlop on my Yamaha and the best I got out of Dunlop was 12,000 and the Bridgestone needed changeing at 7000 and 9000. The Goldwing doesn't eat tires as fast as my Yamaha.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cupping was a problem for me until I ran max air pressure and stopped using the front brake as hard as I did. My next front tire will be a trike only tire and that should be the ticket.
ok, what is a trike only tire? I am also triked out and looking at the front wheel tire. Where do I find a trike only tire?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Try bumping up the air pressure from what the owners manual calls for, but DO NOT EXCEED the maxium air pressure rating for that tire. 3-5 psi may just be the right air pressure for your sytle of riding. Remember that it's the air pressure inside the tire holding everything up, not the tire it'self. Some of us have had a little more ice cream than others and may need a few extra psi of pressure to hold everything up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts